Solo: A flying paper weight

Reaction score
Following a crash in damaged my gimbal and 3DR came to the conclusion it was pilot error. So did I really. I purchased another Gimbal off eBay; a risk I know but willing to take for almost 50% less than local Oz retailers. It appears brand new so I was psyched. Received it yesterday and true to their word it looked genuinely new.

Fitted it with bated breath, aaaaand this one creates a buzzing sound at 90 degrees; tilting less then 70, buzzing disappears. Um, so I removed it, and checked all wires, positioning them better and reassembled. Yessss, no buzzing. Then a minute later, it returned noooo. So I reattempted this several times, including several level recalibrations. Um, I thought, is it a weight problem, nope, not that, correct weights attached. Noted the HDMI cable sticking out a bit from the GoPro, maybe this was causing an imbalance, so I pushed it in as far as it would go. No joy. Then noted a loss of video feed now.

After messing around for 5 mins or so I decided to remove the GoPro to make some adjustments. I nearly cried when I saw the HDMI port on the GoPro had dislodged from the PCB in the GoPro. Can this get any worse?

I now have a noisey Gimbal and a useless GoPro. I've had this GoPro for many years (its a Hero 3+ Black) and it has never let me down and I've never felt the need to upgrade.

I've read so many threads complaining about the gimbal, and wish 3DR put more R&D into it before they released it.

So all I have now is a flying paper weight with no financial means to replace the GoPro and get the Gimbal replaced or repaired.

I've only had solo for less than two months. When it worked, it worked great but now it's going to sit collecting dust. Think I might have to cut my loses and sell

OK, so you've got a broken GoPro that may or may not be contributing to your gimbal problems. See if you can find a suitable GoPro to borrow for testing....

Don't know anyone who has a GoPro for this purpose
I'm in southern Pennsylvania if that helps would be willing to drive up to an hour or so, and have a couple GoPros and gimbals.

I live in Oz. BB won't sent to Oz, neither will Amazon for Solo accessories.

Thanks for the offer but I think Australia is a bit far for you to travel from Pennsylvania

Thanks for the offer but I think Australia is a bit far for you to travel from Pennsylvania
LOL not as far as you think we own a company down there! Haven't had a need t travel that way yet but working that out! ;)

Amazon will ship to Oz! Two weeks ago I bought the 3dr Solo Gimbal for $US99 through Amazon. There was no problem shipping directly to my home address in Australia.

What I have observed with Amazon over the last few month purchasing from them is ... Amazon is a bit like the weather. Unpredictable. On any given day Amazon will ship an item to Oz, and then the very next day Amazon won't ship that exact item.

So I'd suggest that you check the item you wish to purchase on a daily basis and when Amazon allows the item to ship, snap it up. That's what I did and bought my gimbal at a great price. Don't bother with trying to buy batteries. Amazon won't ship batteries internationally due to safety regulations etc.

Good luck!

that is mainly because amazon resells a lot of their stuff
it is really just sending orders to someone else in many cases

man it sounds like some great business opportunities in OZ
or do they have laws that make free market competition hard

With Australia, it has been always been "protected" so that companies can maximise the Gross Profit. In some cases it is cheap and others you don't want to know. SOLO is an expensive item and support, well you have to understand when you buy that if you damage it you fix it yourself and or buy again. If you treat it like that then you are ok.

There isn't an opportunity per say as you will get closed out of the market after a while.

It is just the order of things in Australian retailing in particular.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M