Solex for Solo

Kelly Schrockto Solo Mod Club
24 mins ·
What happens in Vegas, ends up in Solex 1.5.7.

A fair bit of this was written in a hotel room while I was in Vegas at Interdrone.

Small image import improvement

When you're importing images for geotagging, the previous version of Solex required that the files you're tagging be in the root directory of the imported zip file. A lot of OS zipping utilities seem to want to embed a directory into a zip file when it's created, like when you right-click on a folder and say "Make archive" or whatever. It's kind of pain to prevent them from doing that, so I updated Solex so it just finds the zip files in a directory whether they're in a subdirectory or not, and puts them in the right place.

Guidance UI popup fix

So I was on a plane on the way to InterDrone, bored. I was playing with my tablet, and turned "Don't keep activities" on in Developer options. Then I switched away from Solex to another app, and back again, and BOOM. There was the Guidance UI, stuck on the screen. This has been an annoyance for a while, and I hadn't been able to reproduce it. So that was nice. So when I landed in Vegas, I fixed it.

"ready to arm" message fix

In an effort to display more autopilot messages, I let an extra one slip through. As it turns out, Solo sends a ton of "ready to arm" messages when it's ready to arm. Also, when it IS armed. And when it's flying. And when it's landing. Also when it has landed. And at all other times. Except when
it isn't ready to arm, which is almost never. So now you're hearing about it constantly, which gets in the way of everything else. So that should be fixed now. This is the main reason for pushing an update more quickly than usual.

Smart Shot end handling

The whole time it's been out on the market, Solex has always sent a command to switch to FLY mode when a shot ends. It turns out it's not necessary to do that, since the Solo switches to Fly on its own when I send it a "You're not doing a shot" message. Explicitly switching to Fly, as Matt Lawrence found, is kind of problematic since it interferes with switching to some other mode like Solo might want to do. So that's been removed.

Package update improvements

There are some large packages coming for the Solo, and the app handles them OK. However, it doesn't look like it's doing anything when the time required to scan and unpack them is large. So now you get more progress messages while all of that is going on. Also, a preinstall or post-install script can return a non-zero (error) exit code and abort the installation process. This is important in case something goes wrong with the installation.

Nice I was receiving same guidance UI stuck on screen for awhile now my self.thanks for the fix!

I'm unable to Calibrate Viewing Angle in Solex due to the "Next" button is greyed out. what am I doing wrong? see attached image

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-17-08-21-01.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-17-08-21-01.png
    624.8 KB · Views: 78
Hi there is a Butte which Rises up about a thousand feet next to my house I used to be able to set the Waypoint altitude in solex above 400 ft bye tapping repeatedly. Now I can no longer set it above 400 even though it has the nice new feature where you don't have to tap repeatedly. I went back to the tower app and was able to set my Waypoint Heights to what I need them to be and flu successful mission. Is there some way we can get that functionality back?

Was just reading thru the missions manual again and I noticed that it says that non of the actions will work if there is no radio communication? Is that true? On first read I thought it only applied to ROI's so I'm wondering if photo captures will work or not.

Was just reading thru the missions manual again and I noticed that it says that non of the actions will work if there is no radio communication? Is that true? On first read I thought it only applied to ROI's so I'm wondering if photo captures will work or not.

Not quite true. There are 2 types of actions: in-vehicle and in-app. Something like "Take Picture", ROI, yaw, camera trigger, etc are all in-vehicle actions and will execute on the mission whether or not there's a radio link between the app and vehicle. The in-app actions (e.g Set LEDs, start/stop video) aren't actually supported by the vehicle, so they're implemented in the app. The app listens for the arrival of the vehicle at a specific waypoint, enumerates any in-app actions associated with that waypoint, and executes them in the order they appear. Because the app won't know of the arrival at a waypoint if it doesn't have a connection when it happens, the in-app actions aren't triggered in that case.

Not quite true. There are 2 types of actions: in-vehicle and in-app. Something like "Take Picture", ROI, yaw, camera trigger, etc are all in-vehicle actions and will execute on the mission whether or not there's a radio link between the app and vehicle. The in-app actions (e.g Set LEDs, start/stop video) aren't actually supported by the vehicle, so they're implemented in the app. The app listens for the arrival of the vehicle at a specific waypoint, enumerates any in-app actions associated with that waypoint, and executes them in the order they appear. Because the app won't know of the arrival at a waypoint if it doesn't have a connection when it happens, the in-app actions aren't triggered in that case.

Thanks for the response. Found the answer to another question that I'm editing out right now. Thanks.

Is there a downloaded version of the Solex docs. I've paid for it, but like to have a printed copy to put in a binder. I know...old school. :)

Reactions: DJMc
Does/should Solex work on a Kindle Fire 7 (7th Gen)? It's already modified for Google Apps.

Is there a downloaded version of the Solex docs. I've paid for it, but like to have a printed copy to put in a binder. I know...old school. :)

You should be able to print it or save t from the app using the share function.

I'm enjoying the solex app but I have a question about the documentation section in the soloex app. The "table of contents" or topic list at the first of the manual does not link to the content within the manual. It looks like it should. Just wondering if this is an issue others or just for me? Seth

Can anyone tell me what problem 'High message traffic (!)' could be and why it's almost always showing when I survey? I'm also having intermittent video feed loss, and gopro freezing mid-flight issues. I don't know enough to know if they are related.

Reactions: mikediggs
Can anyone tell me what problem 'High message traffic (!)' could be and why it's almost always showing when I survey? I'm also having intermittent video feed loss, and gopro freezing mid-flight issues. I don't know enough to know if they are related.
Should have mentioned I have the mro gps and microtic wifi (in the controller), using alfas. Going as far as 1km but the issues aren't related to distance

You need to check an aeronautical map (Garmin, Jeppesen) ; you are probably close to an airport TMA, CTR ..., or under a route for aircraft, helicopters, ...

No, no. This refers to high local network traffic. It is the solo spewing out a bunch of "parameter received" messages usually. Has nothing to do with airspace. This is in the manual.

Reactions: John Githens
"High message traffic" is Solex's way to notify you that your Solo aircraft is flooding your WiFi link with superfluous traffic. This is characteristic of the Solo and it happens randomly. Kellys has writen short routines to mitigate this that works with moderate success depending on your Android device.
He explains it well in his release notes that he sends us at each revision. Go back and read them from the start. It answers a lot of other questions you might have later. It's a quick read and it explains things well.
Unfortunately, this alert and a couple of others, get in the way of other important items. It does that differently depending on the size of your screen. I'm guessing that this is some justification for a tablet instead of a phone.
I use a galaxy S3 and a note4. The note4 is much better and I bet a 7" tablet would be even better.
Remember, this is "message" traffic not aircraft traffic.

Reactions: Damien

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44