Solex for Solo

open up the solo app and check the installed firmware versions
In solo and solex I see software and firmware ver for the controller and it updated fine But for chopper I only see software version. I tried the flash again this morning and it didn't hang up like last time but still not sure where to check if it worked

On system info in the solo app it should read

App 2.4.0, Solo 2.9.94,

Autopilot should either be 1.5.4 or 3.5.4 if you are using a green cube,

controller should be 2.9.94,

and controller firmware should be 2.5-RC4.
Ok thanks I was thinking that it should say something like solo firmware 2.5-RC4 like the controller does so I should be ready to fly

Is there a way to geotag photos in solex by using a SD card and not use drive or Dropbox I had the zip file of the pics on a SD card in the tablet but could not get it to solex the only way I found to get the pop-up to pick solex was to upload to drive then when I download from drive I can pick in port to solex I have slow internet so it would be faster to use SD cards

Thanks for any help on this

Is there a way to geotag photos in solex by using a SD card and not use drive or Dropbox I had the zip file of the pics on a SD card in the tablet but could not get it to solex the only way I found to get the pop-up to pick solex was to upload to drive then when I download from drive I can pick in port to solex I have slow internet so it would be faster to use SD cards

Thanks for any help on this
This is how I geotag my images. I zip them up them on a thumb drive. Then I move them to my "Downloads" folder on my phone. I run Solex on my phone.

I've had troubles getting the option to open the zipped file with Solex. However, I find that opening the zipped file with my native download manager works. If I try to open with the file manager it just shows me the pictures in the zip file.

Hope this helps. Seth
76596bda7ea0093e83c0dbc5a77e68b3.jpg

This is how I geotag my images. I zip them up them on a thumb drive. Then I move them to my "Downloads" folder on my phone. I run Solex on my phone.

I've had troubles getting the option to open the zipped file with Solex. However, I find that opening the zipped file with my native download manager works. If I try to open with the file manager it just shows me the pictures in the zip file.

Hope this helps. Seth
76596bda7ea0093e83c0dbc5a77e68b3.jpg
Thanks I just tried that and when I click on my download app it just opens the native file app then that only shows the pics I think my issue is that I'm using a cheap Acer tablet and it has me locked out the preinstalled app settings and won't let nothing else do there job I wish there was a in port zip button in solex

Can someone list all the in-app purchase options and prices for Solex? I can not find it documented anywhere without buying the app.

Anyone know the easiest method to move Solex mission files from one device to another? where are they located?
I suppose I could just upload to the Solo from one device and then download it to another, but I'd prefer a more direct approach...

Update: I figured out I could export the mission in QGC format. Sent it to Google drive and then imported it again from Google Drive with Solex on the other device. I'm sure there are other ways too.

Last edited:
While trying to update to Open Solo I am getting a message stating: "Package not compatible with this vehicle." What can I do in order to upgrade?

While trying to update to Open Solo I am getting a message stating: "Package not compatible with this vehicle." What can I do in order to upgrade?
You need to reconnect to your Solo network after you download the firmware.
It gives this message if you are still connected to your Internet host.

Solex mission import appears broken.

I receive "error importing mission" when attempting to import any missions created in QGC... even very simple ones.

(attempted to upload sample but forum blocks that file extension)

Guides, Updates & Questions & Answers about using Solex

I receive no commission from sales, Don't need anything from the author except his friendship & his Kick ASS APP Solex!

Ta-da... Another Solex update. 1.1.6

Yes, I know it's Sunday evening, and I cannot possibly have put out another batch of features since Friday. I didn't. Here's the list of things in the new release:

. Settings-write prompt for Android 6.0

This is for Android 6.0 devices that require special permissions in order to run. If you're running any other Android version, you won't notice this one. If you're on Android 6.0, you'll see a prompt to open the super-secret special permissions page to grant Solex permissions it has on every other Android version.

. Fix reset bug in HDR Shot

This is an obscure issue: Suppose you have your camera set to Video mode and you do an HDR Shot. When it's done, it will set your camera back to Video mode, in an effort to be convenient and helpful. This issue fixes the case where it will do that when you're running a *different* shot. This fixes something none of you have probably noticed, so another not-a-big-deal fix.

. Vehicle Settings sliders updates

A couple of people mentioned that the sliders in the Vehicle Settings screen were hard to move. They were, but I hadn't done anything about it until now. They're smoother now.

. Fixed performance issue with video on Samsung

This one is the impetus for a Sunday evening release.

A couple of people mentioned that their Samsung devices had video troubles with Solex, and mentioned really slow frame rates and the app acting like it was locked up.

If you're interested in the details (which are kind of interesting if you're into how the Solo works), read on. Otherwise, skip to the bottom and read up from there until it gets boring.
1f642.png
:)

Looking into the problem, I discovered that on startup, Solo occasionally sends a HUGE torrent of "parameter received" messages without being asked for them. It doesn't always happen, but does about half the time with my Solo. The rate of incoming messages at that time is up to 300 messages per second, or one every 3ms. I wasn't measuring traffic volume before (didn't realize there was a need), but now that I am, 300 messages/second is 10 times higher than normal.

(For reference: "parameter received" messages are for flight-controller parameters, the kind of data dealt with by the Vehicle Settings screen.)

An Nvidia or Nexus device is fast enough it can apparently handle this kind of traffic without any (or much) issue, so I never noticed it. But my S7 Edge was fairly close to locked up in that case. In addition to hogging the connection for needless messages, the message traffic also overwhelms these devices so they're too busy to display the video frames that come in. I had no idea it was doing all this, until I started logging the messages.

There's really no way to tell Solo to stop sending those messages, but what works fairly reliably is to request a full set of parameters from it. That starts the "parameter refresh" process which runs through the entire parameter list and then ends in about 3-5 seconds. Then it calms down, and traffic levels drop to normal.

I've seen Solo do the same thing when connected to Tower as well, where the Parameters screen would never finish loading. It's the same issue, and appears to be on the Solo side.

So, the fix is kind of interesting. The main message processor in Solex now watches to see how fast messages are coming in. If the rate is too high, it starts filtering out the parameter-related messages so the high traffic doesn't affect other parts of the app. Their message rates are thus normal. Then the main processor starts a watchdog to periodically check message rate, and ask Solo for a parameter list if it detects the problem. Then it waits to see if it was successful, trying again if it wasn't. While it's working on getting Solo to calm down, you'll see that little warning shown in the picture at the bottom of this post. Once it succeeds, the message disappears.

With this logic in place, I've tested this a LOT this afternoon and evening, and Solex always manages to get it to act normal after 10-15 seconds at most. Usually within 3-5 seconds.

If you've managed to stick with this long post, this seems like good news. If you've been using a device where Solex's video feed seemed kind of slow and jerky, it could have been because of the high message traffic. So, theoretically, your video feed should be smoother now.

Well, that's it.

BTW, there won't be a Friday update this week, I'll be in Dallas at a conference.

==============================================================
  1. Here's the latest version of Solex, 1.1.5. Here's a list of new features:

. HDR Photo Shot
    . New Spot Mode/ROI
    . Full Screen/immersive flight screen
    . Gimbal angle display on flight screen
    . Restore heading/gimbal angle on "Fly to point"
    . Fix Max Distance setting
    . Fix a crash in the Geofence screen
    . Fix missing Hero3+Black frame rates
    . Fix for Moto X Pure/6.0 (fingers crossed)

Thanks,
    Kelly

Looks like some new features & a few
  2. Forgot who, but someone was asking about add ons, updates, fixes & New Features that Kelly has included in Solex as to date:
  3. Note: "Ver. 1.1.5 updates & Fixes not included in list below"

Smart Shots:
    • Follow/Manual: Touch an object on the screen to follow
    • Follow/Record: Record a flight path and follow it later
    • Follow/Remote: Follow users who are broadcasting their locations via companion app
    • Follow/Me: Normal Follow like Solo app
    • Orbit: Like 3DR Solo app, except easier to position the start point
    • Cable Cam: Like 3DR Solo app
    • Selfie: Like the 3DR Solo app (improved version coming in an update)
    • Zipline: Like the 3DR Solo app
    • Pano: Like the 3DR Solo app
    • HDR Photo: Take EV-bracketed shots
    Spot Mode: Point at an object and lock the gimbal to follow it during manual flight

Tap to save location:

Tap the GPS location shown on screen, and name it and save a snapshot of it. It's saved in a flight log.
    • You can open flight logs later and fly to the saved locations by tapping them on a map.
    • Tap the GPS location shown on screen, and name it and save a snapshot of it. It's saved in a flight log
    • You can open flight logs later and fly to the saved locations by tapping them on a map.
    Sharing:
    • You can share all of the files created by Solex including fences, cable cams, flight logs, Follow/Record flight.
    • sessions, etc. Useful for sharing with others, or for backups and import on new devices.

UI User Interface"

HUD view: Clear all decorations off the screen and display flight status in a HUD view.

uncategorised
    • Full GoPro support for Hero3+ Black, Hero 4 Silver and Hero 4 Black.
    • Periodically speak flight status as you fly (like Tower does).
    • Basic flight stats: Track total distance and total flight time
    • Show on-screen GPS location as UTM coordinates
    • Record TLOG files
    • Change LED colors
    • Kill switch: Instantly stop motors (disabled/hidden by default for obvious reasons)
    • Geofences: Create and store geofences in multiple locations
    • Support for connecting to multiple Solos (one at a time of course)
    • Calculates/displays remaining flight time based on battery draw during a flight
    • Calculates distance from home when warning about low battery
    • On-screen EV comp adjustment
    Kelly, Please slow down! Your going for a Blowout!

WHAT'S NEW
  • New in this version:
  • . Tap to save location
  • . Fly to location on map
  • . Basic flight log
  • . Basic flight stats
  • . Now a bit smarter about network state
  • . Correct the "Aviation" LED label
  • . HUD units update
  • . Spoken flight status
  • . Fix vehicle settings param loading
  • . PAL camera settings fixes
View attachment 4337

Solex - Return to me feature
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

LED Control Solex App

Solex Target Test day

I'm new to solo and solex. In solex, when wanting to do a simple smartshot-- say orbit, when I touch on orbit, it only shows a description of the orbit but not how to start. Shows no start button, with no real instructions. Please advise. Frank.

While I've been building multicopters for years, I've only had my Solos for a few weeks and finally just broke down and got Solex and the Missions add-on last night.

I very much appreciate Kelly breathing new life into the Solo app and adding so many new features. That said, there are quite a few bugs and quirks that don't make me confident yet enough to fly missions with it. I recognize that Tower, QGC, MP and other ground control apps also have their own quirks.

Anyway, I logged about 15 bugs or usability issues and quickly realized that this discussion thread is an awful format to handle those. Difficult both for the software developer and users to navigate. I suggested that Kelly perhaps stand up a JIRA or Trello instance to track these things. Would be happy to assist if that is unfamiliar territory.

Your thoughts?

You need to reconnect to your Solo network after you download the firmware.
It gives this message if you are still connected to your Internet host.
I had a similar issue, finally realizing that repeated firmware download failures were due to Solex repeatedly trying to reconnect with the vehicle. Finally resolved by telling Android to "forget" the "SoloLink_..." SSID. Really don't understand why Solex would require vehicle connection in order to gain access to the page allowing firmware downloads.

Hoping someone will update the firmware update instructions at
documentation/install_solex.md at master · OpenSolo/documentation · GitHub
to add the step to either turn off the Solo controller or forget the Wifi network.

The mobile device downloads via an Internet enabled WiFi network or a mobile Internet. Step 2 of the instructions 'Reconnect' has a s the first action to reconnect to the 'Sololink...' network, which makes the 'package compatible' check complete.

Its this that allows the packages to be loaded to the controller and Solo - once the device running Solex is on the Sololink network.

There is no need for a step to forget any network SIDD.

The instructions are correct - I know because I didn't follow then to the letter first time! When I did it worked, of course, with no error [emoji16].

Hope this makes sense.

The mobile device downloads via an Internet enabled WiFi network or a mobile Internet. Step 2 of the instructions 'Reconnect' has a s the first action to reconnect to the 'Sololink...' network, which makes the 'package compatible' check complete.

Its this that allows the packages to be loaded to the controller and Solo - once the device running Solex is on the Sololink network.

There is no need for a step to forget any network SIDD.

The instructions are correct - I know because I didn't follow then to the letter first time! When I did it worked, of course, with no error
emoji16.png

Hope this makes sense.

i was just accurately communicating the behavior I observed as I recognize that the team may not have the ability to thoroughly test on a wide variety of equipment.

It repeatedly failed to download any firmware in 10 or so attempts, but worked like a charm once I dropped the SoloLink_ SSID so that Solex would not attempt to reconnect to the vehicle.

I recognize that this issue may have only ever occurred on my unique system. Nonetheless, from a software quality perspective, the appropriate response would be to ask for system info and screenshots/video to document and recreate the error condition... not to deny it ever happened.

I do very much appreciate how easy it was to update firmware with Solex versus doing so manually. Great job!

Reactions: Jeepy
Just curious - why does Solex exclude the ability to assign Smart Shots to the controller's buttons?

Maybe I'm the only one but I still use the old Solo app to assign them to the A/B buttons every so often.
On a bright sunny day I can easily see the artoo's display, not so much the tablet's screen.

Also, are there plans to add in the short/long-press buttons now in Open Solo 3.0?
I've been using JuiceSSH to edit the solo's /usr/bin/extSettings.conf file to reassign the short/long press buttons and it works fine, but having this in-app would be nice.

Hi, I'm new to Open Solo 3.0 and like to know how I can reassign the short/long-press buttons.
You said you use JuiceSSH to edit the solo's /usr/bin/extSettings.conf file. How exactly can I do this with JuiceSSH ??
Some step by step instructions would be really helpful.
Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela