Solex and Open Solo 4

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I just bought a 3DR solo and I would like to install open solo 4 with the Solex application. Is it normal that I only see open solo 3 in the update menu ? I have to install open solo 3 before open solo 4 ?

Thanks for your help.

Open Solo 4 doesn't exist, which is probably why you aren't seeing it in the menu :)

Open Solo 4-dev exist ? (link below)

I have the black cube. I need to install open solo 3 and ardupilot 3.7 as in this link ?

That 4-dev github is my personal repo where I am working on it but it is not ready yet. I'm still doing a bit of final changes, commit squashing, housekeeping, etc. When I'm done with all that ugly work, that repo will be moved over to the Open Solo github account. At which point, 4-dev will be real for people to use.

If you want to use the latest and greatest, you should install Open Solo 3, then follow the instructions for the 3.7-dev beta.

That 4-dev github is my personal repo where I am working on it but it is not ready yet. I'm still doing a bit of final changes, commit squashing, housekeeping, etc. When I'm done with all that ugly work, that repo will be moved over to the Open Solo github account. At which point, 4-dev will be real for people to use.

If you want to use the latest and greatest, you should install Open Solo 3, then follow the instructions for the 3.7-dev beta.
You sir are amazing! Truly glad to have someone as talented and loyal to the solo platform as you man!

Just wanted to know is solo 4-dev is almost done? I do not see it in the download section yet in firmware updates. Just wondering. :)

At this time, the only hold up is some bugs in ArduCopter 3.7-dev that make not ready for stable use. They're not easy bugs to find and resolve this time.

At this time, the only hold up is some bugs in ArduCopter 3.7-dev that make not ready for stable use. They're not easy bugs to find and resolve this time.

Thanks so much for the update. Interesting about the bugs. Do you have a link that explains the bugs? I have 3.7-dev installed as per instructions and so far all is OK. Just curious if these bugs are something I should be following. I have asked to join the facebook beta group but I have not been granted access yet. Great work, greatly appreciate all your efforts.

Thanks so much for the update. Interesting about the bugs. Do you have a link that explains the bugs? I have 3.7-dev installed as per instructions and so far all is OK. Just curious if these bugs are something I should be following. I have asked to join the facebook beta group but I have not been granted access yet. Great work, greatly appreciate all your efforts.
Request to join again. I don't see any requests.

One is this rather serious issue. But it is also starting to look like it may have just been a corrupt build. Copter locks up in flight, motors stop, crashes vehicle w/ Pixhawk 2 · Issue #11642 · ArduPilot/ardupilot

The other is the gimbal not moving smooth and correct. AP_Mount: Solo gimbal overshooting in ChibiOS · Issue #11398 · ArduPilot/ardupilot

Reactions: Wetstone

One is this rather serious issue. But it is also starting to look like it may have just been a corrupt build. Copter locks up in flight, motors stop, crashes vehicle w/ Pixhawk 2 · Issue #11642 · ArduPilot/ardupilot

The other is the gimbal not moving smooth and correct. AP_Mount: Solo gimbal overshooting in ChibiOS · Issue #11398 · ArduPilot/ardupilot

OK thanks for the update. I will continue to test and get back to you on my results. For now I will tether the solo close to the ground just in case there is an issue with the motors shutting down.

OK thanks for the update. I will continue to test and get back to you on my results. For now I will tether the solo close to the ground just in case there is an issue with the motors shutting down.

OK so I flew 2 times with two fully charged batteries until the RTH was triggered. kept it at about 2-3 meters off the ground and did just small maneuvers. No issues with 3.7 so far. I will do 2 more and see. The only issue I have is with my Hero 4 Silver. I can star recording through the Slex app but when I hit stop, the camera is frozen. No more response and the video feed is frozen. I tested the camera manually starting and stopping recording and there is no issue. But stopping it through the Solex app freezes the camera. I have to hold the power button for more than 10 seconds to shut it down. Not sure if there is some code issue with this firmware and the Hero 4 silver. I guess I should raise and bug issue. I did not have this issue with the stock solo 3.0 setup.

Last edited:
Hello ! Today it happened to me too ...
The first minute of flight froze battery voltage and a timer. But I continued flying. I wanted to discharge the battery in order to calibrate it.
I could not start GoPro 4 black on record. The camera stiffened and I was able to turn it off by removing the battery.
I inserted another battery .. After take off, the battery voltage and timer again froze. I connected the Solo app. There, the battery capacity was -1%. The battery indicator shows a full charge. I was able to turn on the camera for recording in Solex. Flying to discharge the battery .. Again, not seeing the scares and the percentage of capacity. At the end of the flight the engines were switched off.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What you're describing is the smart battery failing to communicate. This could be due to a defective battery or the wires could be loose inside under the battery tray.

What you're describing is the smart battery failing to communicate. This could be due to a defective battery or the wires could be loose inside under the battery tray.
I changed three batteries .. and all the same result - freezing the indicators in the first - second minute of flight. When the Solo is unarmed, battery life can last as long as possible. I have another Solo which has factory software, it has no such problems. I also think the problem is not the battery.
this crash will make me disassemble Solo and I will check all the wires .. But I think the problem in the firmware is Open Solo 4. I understand that the firmware is still in development and consciously took the risk of reading about cases of engine stoppages in the air.
i will try to get the logs out of this flight though i never did ..))

any chance you have open solo 4.0 -4dev sd image somewhere? I have a mainboard only that I'm trying to update but can't connect to solex because I think it's open solo 3.0.0 on the current sd card

Open Solo 4 doesn't exist, which is probably why you aren't seeing it in the menu :)
Solo 4 doesn't exist? My Solo has Solo 4 installed on it, I guess that is what the my controller is saying, it says open Solo 4 when it power's up....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo