So.. TSA cert?

To do practical testing, they would need DPEs with experience and knowledge to administer the test. A lot of them. And DPEs are not FAA employees. They're civilian flight instructors that chose to be a DPE. To do that, they would need all new certifications and rating for the DPEs. To do that, that would need a program to train the DPEs. Practical testing for the FAA is a much bigger deal than many of you probably realize. It would absolutely be biting off more than they could chew today. And probably more than they could ever chew in the next several years.

To do practical testing, they would need DPEs with experience and knowledge to administer the test. A lot of them. And DPEs are not FAA employees. They're civilian flight instructors that chose to be a DPE. To do that, they would need all new certifications and rating for the DPEs. To do that, that would need a program to train the DPEs. Practical testing for the FAA is a much bigger deal than many of you probably realize. It would absolutely be biting off more than they could chew today. And probably more than they could ever chew in the next several years.
The DPE point is a likely reason, however...in the world of Parachuting, it took only 6 years for a DPRE program to be launched, created by the manufacturers and riggers within the parachute industry, "directed" by the FAA. Identifying, testing, administering the DPRE's didn't take long, but within 6 years, the entire country was covered. That said, I do acknowledge that in some areas, applicant riggers have to travel 100-150 miles to find a DPRE. The master rigger is able to manage the first level rating, and that's essentially what this industry needs. That should be relatively easy to manage with existing KTCs since the subject is interviewed/reviewed on the ground and within a very small geographical area.

Yeah, you're right. Too much trouble. Lets hand out some certs.
I didn't say it was ideal. Apparently you would rather the FAA ban any and all commercial use for the next 6 years while they build up a practical training and testing program to fly 4lb plastic toy? You can't have it both ways, and you can't wave a magic wand. So the real practical choices are 107, or nothing at all outside hobby use.

I didn't say it was ideal. Apparently you would rather the FAA ban any and all commercial use for the next 6 years while they build up a practical training and testing program to fly 4lb plastic toy? You can't have it both ways, and you can't wave a magic wand. So the real practical choices are 107, or nothing at all outside hobby use.
Actually, there are more than your 2 choices. 1st of all, there was the existing 333 exemptions. Ideal? No, but not included in your assessment. They could also privatize the testing, using existing flight/ground school centers. They could also use individuals that get certified at a flight center and then go on a list where individuals would call to be tested. Similar to what the FCC uses for ham testing. I could go on, but you get the idea. And lastly, not every commercial operation is using your harmless 4lb plastic toy, which you insinuate could not possible cause any damage/injury. Also, if it's just a 'toy', then by definition it couldn't be used commercially anyway.

I'm not "expecting" anything. Commentary on what is, doesn't constitute a "wish it had been." I do believe the program will grow over time, to include a practical examination. UAV have eclipsed gen av already, and there is no expectation of anything but the exponential upward trend. In fact, I've gambled heavily on that trend. Safety is a deep concern, and 107 does little to address the safety side of the conversation.

Reactions: Jubalr
I'm more than 13 with a registered, labeled Solo so....

'Fer fun it is!

"
Fly for Fun

• You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS (aka drone) for fun or recreation, but you must always fly safely.

Before you fly outside you must:

• Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds
  • Label your UAS with your registration number
  • Read and understand all safety guidelines
You must be:

• 13 years of age or older (if the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft)
  • A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident*"
Note from a Foreigner....we register our UAV's on arrival - print out the page and your good to go. Fun only though till the new Cert comes.

That's interesting. I hadn't thought of that, but certainly seems a good possibility,
As a commercial pilot, flight instructor, and Part 135 operator I have had to jump through a multitude of FAA hoops over the years, and so found the Part 107 normal FAA procedure (not always logical)

If this helps anyone here is what I have done so far:

1. Went to www.faasafety.gov, took the tutorial and then the test. Got 91% first try but they make you correct your missed answers till you get 100% and then issue a "Certificate of Achievement" which I printed out.

2. Then went to https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/Default.aspx to complete the PIC application, but as we all know, it won't be ready till late August. The password and user name used at www.faasafety will not cross over so you will need a new one at this site.

3. The procedure for a licensed pilot I believe is some what different for someone who is not licensed, but I would try to do as much as possible online. I have found with the FAA you just have to jump in and start plowing through it all to really know what it takes to get it all done. So at this point I am just waiting till late August to complete the whole Part 107 procedure.

The Homeland Security/TSA security check can be started NOW, as the blog says, once you apply for Student status. Then you're not waiting for that.
In other words, start with the application now. Study now. When the test becomes available, you'll be finished with or near-finished with the TSA/HS process, and won't have to wait for "after the test."
There's more than one way to skin a cat, and this is a means of getting the slowest portion of the process started earlier in the process. Does that make more sense?

OK, going forward with this, the nearest FSDO is 1.5 hours away, but it is what it is. I downloaded the form 8710-1 and started filing it in, however a few questions came up..

1) Only part 1 of the application makes sense to fill in? Do I need to fill in more?
2) Have to have an appointment at FSDO, what do I tell them I want to do?
3) Do I need to bring anything to the appointment? Photo? Proof of ID, address?
4) Am I missing anything?

Thanks!
Rusty

I would not tell the ASI that you speak with that you'll be using this for UAV certification purposes.
Yesterday, an ASI told a person that he couldn't use the SPL application for this, and it took a phone call from me to the ASI to explain the process. Once the ASI understood what we were trying to accomplish, it was smooth.
The SLC FSDO didn't question it at all. Bottom line is all you need to do is achieve the TSA check early. Practice the UAV test while you wait.

Thank you very much for the link EyeWingsuit, I may have misunderstood the intent of the article, or I just do not see the test questions

Breaking the DroneCode Part 6

Rusty, fill in the whole thing. You're going to receive a Student Pilot License. Cost is nothing, so it's of no consequence that you'll be throwing this away later on.
Thanks, but maybe I am missing something. I don't have any record of flight time (Part III), and for Part II should I just pick option 'C' "Graduate of approved Course"?

I don't want to be a pain, so I just want to have everything set so I am not waiting my time driving and the inspector at the FSDO's time.

/Rant ..... How hard is it for the FAA to get form 8710-13 finalized??

Thank you very much for the link EyeWingsuit, I may have misunderstood the intent of the article, or I just do not see the test questions

The test questions aren't in the article; this episode is about ramping.
The FAA has determined they'll rotate the test questions. My advice is that you take the test now (you don't get credit, but a pretty little cert that says you passed), and keep taking it periodically to see all the questions that rotate out of the standard PPL test. Many people here have already taken it and received their cert.

I now see what part is frustrating you. Only fill out the student section.

Breaking the DroneCode Part 6

Rusty, fill in the whole thing. You're going to receive a Student Pilot License. Cost is nothing, so it's of no consequence that you'll be throwing this away later on.

Well, A month has passed and I have not done a thing......

Well, the nearest FSDO is 1.5 hours away, on a good no traffic day. So I think I am going to have to wait to get the TSA check started until I take the test. I can't afford to burn 2 vacation days for this. So , does anyone have any idea how long the TSA check takes?

Alternatively, can I mail in the 8710-01 to the FSDO to get the TSA check started?

thanks!!
Rusty

Well, A month has passed and I have not done a thing......

Well, the nearest FSDO is 1.5 hours away, on a good no traffic day. So I think I am going to have to wait to get the TSA check started until I take the test. I can't afford to burn 2 vacation days for this. So , does anyone have any idea how long the TSA check takes?

Alternatively, can I mail in the 8710-01 to the FSDO to get the TSA check started?

thanks!!
Rusty

Rusty,
I don't believe you can mail the form, but could be incorrect. Someone from the FAA needs to see you as a person and know you're who you say you are. That's also the reason the KTC requirement for the 107 exam exists; they need to know you're you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M