So I Bought Another Solo...

Lon, congrats that is one screaming deal! The humor in this is despite your complaints about solo, you always come back for more even when you have karma sidepiece!

Lon, congrats that is one screaming deal! The humor in this is despite your complaints about solo, you always come back for more even when you have karma sidepiece!

Well that's the mistake a lot of people make. They think I hate the Solo, that's not the case but I want to discuss it's short comings honestly and openly.

I still had a Solo and a ton of accessories, including the Droneguard 400. I got Best Buy to take it off my hands so why not? I'll have two Solos and a Karma now. So I'll be pretty happy I think.

I don't know. Arent you interested even a little bit in a Mavic? Smaller and more portable than solo or karma with a 4 mile range?

I don't know. Arent you interested even a little bit in a Mavic? Smaller and more portable than solo or karma with a 4 mile range?

Yea, I do like the idea of the Mavic but the versatility of the Karma is what sold me. However...the Karma Grip can't hold its position on my sport bike over 100 mph consistently. So I've gone back to standard mounts for my Hero 5. That has caused me to rethink my position. I have a tank bag that a Mavic would fit in perfectly. The grip is cool but I don't have anything I want to film by hand.

It's tough because I already have a bunch of accessories for the Karma. I guess we'll see.

I have until September to return the Karma so I'll really think about it. They have them in stock at Best Buy...

Okay, you win Whirlygig. I just ordered the Mavic fly more combo from Best Buy. They gave me 15% off. Bag, 3 batteries, car charger, etc. I almost ordered the Yuneec but I don't want the bulk. I already have a dedicated 8 inch tablet on Verizon that I believe will fit the controller. Otherwise, I have an S8+ that will do the job.

Okay, you win Whirlygig. I just ordered the Mavic fly more combo from Best Buy...

Great! I'll be interested to hear how you like it and how she flies in the wind. Now you have three different owners manuals not to read! (I'm sorry but I could not resist).

Great! I'll be interested to hear how you like it and how she flies in the wind. Now you have three different owners manuals not to read! (I'm sorry but I could not resist).

Yep! Speaking of that, I think my greatest concern with DJI is the level of control they try to have over their product. It's no secret that I like to stretch the rules a bit, the Karma will do over 2,000 feet btw, and in not sure how much I'll like being told where I can and cannot fly or how high. Suggestions are one thing, and I honestly appreciate them, but having the manufacture impose their rules on me... I don't like it.

Btw to preempt anyone, I'll give you my argument up front. It would be like your car only going the speed limit based on whatever road you're on. Who would want that?

How's you S8+ doing? Any issues? So far mine is awesome. I found I didn't need a shade even in bright direct sun!! That said, there are a couple of messages it gives me that were distracting at first - but I ignore them now.

How's you S8+ doing? Any issues? So far mine is awesome. I found I didn't need a shade even in bright direct sun!! That said, there are a couple of messages it gives me that were distracting at first - but I ignore them now.

I really like the S8+ in general. I haven't used it with a drone because I have a Tab S2 8" for that. I'll see how it goes when I get the Mavic.

Reactions: Johnny Baer
Lon I totally agree with your points on DJI as this was the main reason for me not even thinking of getting the brand. I believe as the media hype continues more restrictions will be coming. My brother has the phantom 4 and albeit super great bird they ground him without updating firmware (so he says)

This is the type of control I don’t want anything to do with. BTW: I love the analogy. The Media is driving them at the current moment. If I was going to “impose” rules for safety I would be more concerned about drones/any RC model that is allowed to fly over freeways/interstates. When an accident does happen it will be on every media outlet for weeks. (Even though BBQ grills poorly tied down that fallout on freeways cause 10000% more accidents)

Have no idea why/what media picks out for focus on but for whatever reason drones are on that list big time. If the technology is there to control them (in mass) DJI will do it. If “Your” city votes to have a drone free air space DJI could simply ground the birds in that city. Sorry I am ranting…. Why not MANDATE registration by your real name to activity the bird in the first place and then you can punish the stupid harshly rather than penalize everyone for the few stupid? I am done sorry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig