Snow Shots

Reaction score
A rare late fall snow in North Carolina.
Peau 3.37
The higher the resolution the better because of all the limbs.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks very good!
I was wondering why there's a noticeable 'stutter' though. Is that because you weren't using a ND filter?

Reactions: Wooskie
Wow, that looks very good!
I was wondering why there's a noticeable 'stutter' though. Is that because you weren't using a ND filter?
I'm not sure... I didn't use any filter because it was so dark and cloudy. It seems like the gopro doesn't exactly know how to interpret all of the limbs and ice mixed together. I have gotten that same thing before with trees even when using filters. It also had this weird purplish glow around the trees sometimes.

Last edited:
I'm not sure... I didn't use any filter. It seems like the gopro doesn't exactly know how to interpret all of the limbs and ice mixed together. I have gotten that same thing before with trees.

Hmm.. well I'm no pro but do some amateur videography. You always have to set the shutter speed at double the amount as your fps. So if you're shooting in 4K, 24 FPS you should set the shutter speed in the gopro at 1/48 to get the perfect motion blur.

BUT you'll need a ND filter or else it will be way to overexposed.

Hmm.. well I'm no pro but do some amateur videography. You always have to set the shutter speed at double the amount as your fps. So if you're shooting in 4K, 24 FPS you should set the shutter speed in the gopro at 1/48 to get the perfect motion blur.

BUT you'll need a ND filter or else it will be way to overexposed.
I still have version 3.0 so I can't change shutter speed haha. Maybe I should have slowed it down a bit with a ND4.

I still have version 3.0 so I can't change shutter speed haha. Maybe I should have slowed it down a bit with a ND4.
I just updated mine, any reason to keep the old one?

I have gotten that same thing before with trees even when using filters. I also had this weird purplish glow around the trees sometimes.
Could be in your post edit...you may have applied too much sharpening, contrast and/or saturation to bring the image up. I think the term is noise, please correct me if I am wrong.

In either case, it's a challenge to shoot video in colder weather and then deal with lower light levels. Everything stiffens up vibe wise, what worked in warm weather doesn't work as well when cold.
Do you ever adjust EV Comp? It's an interesting tool to use while in flight.

Could be in your post edit...you may have applied too much sharpening, contrast and/or saturation to bring the image up. I think the term is noise, please correct me if I am wrong.

In either case, it's a challenge to shoot video in colder weather and then deal with lower light levels. Everything stiffens up vibe wise, what worked in warm weather doesn't work as well when cold.

I think some of the shuttering is from warp stabilizer not knowing exactly what to do with all the little tree branches. I'm going to turn down the effect and see how that does. I usually leave the the EV comp at -1.0 but some times go up to 0 at the most. I know what you mean about about messing with the levels and it coming out all funky looking. I'm going to try a two pass VBR and see if that helps too. Only 8 hours to render! haha

I just like that it turns the camera on and off.

How would you use EV Comp? When I check the "Best GoPro Settings" stcicky thread it suggests to keep it on 0 and always use ND filters instead.

How would you use EV Comp? When I check the "Best GoPro Settings" stcicky thread it suggests to keep it on 0 and always use ND filters instead.
EV comp is interesting. Filters limit the amount of light getting to the sensor. EV just reduces the processor's interpretation of the available light, so it's like a fake filter without the side effects...added motion blur and/or noise. Just my interpretation based on my results, please correct if wrong as I am no expert..

Edit to add: EV Comp does not replace the need for filters. It's mainly for tweaking light while in flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc