Selfie - Solo is not controlling/tilting gimbal

Reaction score
Well...

I thought the Solo would automatically tilt the gimbal so as to keep the subject in frame while the Solo flies up and away?

Mine's not doing that...gimbal just stays put at whatever angle it is when the Selfie starts.

Is this correct behavior?

Thanks...

--

Bill

Yes- you need to center yourself in the frame at the start. If Solo loses sight of you as it flies back, you need to adjust the flight path to keep yourself in frame.

Yes- you need to center yourself in the frame at the start. If Solo loses sight of you as it flies back, you need to adjust the flight path to keep yourself in frame.

Adjust the flight path?

Do you instead mean adjust the gimbal? (The Solo is controlling the flight path...)

You can adjust the gimbal while Solo is flying or adjust the altitude & distance it flies away so you remain in frame without needing to adjust the gimbal.

its a strange bug, some are experiencing it while others are not
Was never a big selfie user, and when I did it was more of a thingie application. Now I just use cable came or zipline to get those shots

You can adjust the gimbal while Solo is flying or adjust the altitude & distance it flies away so you remain in frame without needing to adjust the gimbal.

Maddog,

I thought one of the basic ideas about a "smart shot" was that the Solo could fly the whole thing by itself, or, if the user chooses, the user can take control of this or that aspect of the flight, while the Solo does the rest.

I would have thought for sure the Solo would automatically control the gimbal for a selfie.

Hmmmm...

I wonder if I am experiencing a bug...

But listen...thanks...much appreciated.

--

Bill

its a strange bug, some are experiencing it while others are not
Was never a big selfie user, and when I did it was more of a thingie application. Now I just use cable came or zipline to get those shots

Pyrate,

Thanks for that...so OK...sounds like it's SUPPOSED to control the gimbal pitch, but sometimes it doesn't because of a bug...OK...that explains it. I have the latest versions of this and that software/firmware...hmmmm.

And yes, I hear what you are saying about using a cable cam instead....I did just that today, and it worked great to control the gimbal and keep framing accurate.

--

Bill

I honestly prefer the cable cam method with a minimum of 3 points
you get more of a swoosh effect
I frame my first shot close in, fly out but only slightly up frame and set my second point, then fly more up less out and frame my 3rd point
makes for a much nicer selfie / thingie

Hmm... maybe I've been infected by that bug all along but didn't know it. I don't recall Solo ever controlling the gimbal in a selfie. I never thought it was very good so I stopped using it a long time ago.

Gotta go tinker with it again...

it worked on IOS up until the last update and stopped in android earlier
some people report no problem at all.
I think selfie was a selling smart shot but it just does not compare to orbit, zip or MPCC
technically its a dolly / crane move on a large scale.
even when I did use it, it was pointing at some object not me.
when it quit working I just stopped using it and replaced it

No tilt camera during selfie is definitely a bug. I started to have this problem when I lost connection between controller and solo during selfie. Solo did rth and did not regain signal at all. The power cycles of solo and controller did not work. I had to disconnect the battery from the controller. From that time on my selfie does not correct the tilt of the camera during the shot. You can see the difference on the following videos - one is before system error, and the other after that.

Correct selfie (dont mind the quality - its from auto camera roll to iPad):
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

No camera tilt selfie:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M