RMA Process

Reaction score
Following my recent loss of power crash, 3DR have initiated a RMA process to replace my Solo and GoPro. I initially thought that it would be as simple as me picking up a new one from the store in Australia, but I now realise that it’s the same RMA process for everyone around the world.

I will try and confirm my questions with 3DR, but it would be helpful to hear a bit of feedback from others who have been down this road already.
  1. 3DR have indicated that it will be replaced with a “like new” product. If it was “like” new than I guess it really would be new, but I don’t think that’s what I’m going to get am I? Prior to the crash, my 4 month old Solo was perfect so just hoping that my replacement is going to be on par and not a reconditioned item that has noticeably been pre-owned.

Has anyone else received a “like new” replacement? How “new” is my “like new” replacement going to be?

2. Do you normally have to send the damaged GoPro back together with the Solo in the RMA process?

3DR indicated that they don’t have any Hero 4 Silvers in stock and can rather offer me a Hero 4 Black for an additional charge (don’t know how much). Alternatively they have also offered me a backpack and extra battery instead.
    The extra resolution and speed of the black over the silver has not been a high requirement for me and I have had much more of a need for the touchscreen on the back of the silver so I would be disappointed to lose this.

The GoPro has a crack in the front and the front LCD no longer works, however I can possibly still make use of it. Is it reasonable to expect that I retain it and 3DR still compensate for the damage (e.g. with the extra battery etc)?

3. I assume the process is that I box up my unit and send back once I receive the packing labels from 3DR, and then wait for the return. Anyone in Australia with some timings as to how long this has taken?
Thanks,
Pete

Last edited:
They will want you to send everything back, Solo, gimbal, controller, battery, chargers, props, etc. This is why I Keep the box and packaging it arrived in, so I can use it to send it back if needed... which I have, twice. They will email you a shipping label.

The replacement they send you will be like new. It could be a customer return, or one that had a board replaced from another RMA. Either way, it comes basically no different than a brand new one and you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference.

Regarding the GoPro, I would just take the 4 Black. 100% compatibility with all features, and better everything.

Like P2P, I also received a "like" new replacement that looked (and flew) as good as the one I sent in.

I too prefer the silver because of the LED screen.

Reactions: petermag
Following my recent loss of power crash, 3DR have initiated a RMA process to replace my Solo and GoPro. I initially thought that they it would be as simple as me picking up a new one from the store in Australia, but I now realise that it’s the same RMA process for everyone around the world.

I will try and confirm my questions with 3DR, but it would be helpful to hear a bit of feedback from others who have been down this road already.
  1. 3DR have indicated that it will be replaced with a “like new” product. If it was “like” new than I guess it really would be new, but I don’t think that’s what I’m going to get am I? Prior to the crash, my 4 month old Solo was perfect so just hoping that my replacement is going to be on par and not a reconditioned item that has noticeably been pre-owned.

Has anyone else received a “like new” replacement? How “new” is my “like new” replacement going to be?

2. Do you normally have to send the damaged GoPro back together with the Solo in the RMA process?

3DR indicated that they don’t have any Hero 4 Silvers in stock and can rather offer me a Hero 4 Black for an additional charge (don’t know how much). Alternatively they have also offered me a backpack and extra battery instead.
    The extra resolution and speed of the black over the silver has not been a high requirement for me and I have had much more of a need for the touchscreen on the back of the silver so I would be disappointed to lose this.

The GoPro has a crack in the front and the front LCD no longer works, however I can possibly still make use of it. Is it reasonable to expect that I retain it and 3DR still compensate for the damage (e.g. with the extra battery etc)?

3. I assume the process is that I box up my unit and send back once I receive the packing labels from 3DR, and then wait for the return. Anyone in Australia with some timings as to how long this has taken?
Thanks,
Pete
Hi Peter,

Did you buy it from an Aussie store (either online or brick and motar)? Reason i ask is that our statutory rights are likely to cover this. For a $2000 item i would expect you to be able to return it to the retailer for a repair, replace (with new) or refund. Check with fair trading in which the store is located. Might have issues with the gopro replacement.

Having said all of the above it sounds like they are doing the right things - surprised they cant locate a gp4 silver though. If the gopro is critical then push for a monetary sum for that part (if you didnt get the gopro from them or if you did push the fair trading line). This is one of the reasons for the Australia tax, we have rights we cant sign away and the retailer is the first point of contact if you wish to try that path.

Chris

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi Peter,

Did you buy it from an Aussie store (either online or brick and motar)? Reason i ask is that our statutory rights are likely to cover this. For a $2000 item i would expect you to be able to return it to the retailer for a repair, replace (with new) or refund. Check with fair trading in which the store is located. Might have issues with the gopro replacement.

Having said all of the above it sounds like they are doing the right things - surprised they cant locate a gp4 silver though. If the gopro is critical then push for a monetary sum for that part (if you didnt get the gopro from them or if you did push the fair trading line). This is one of the reasons for the Australia tax, we have rights we cant sign away and the retailer is the first point of contact if you wish to try that path.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes it was bought from Harvey Norman. I originally hoped that 3DR would simply arrange a credit note that I could take to the store and get a new replacement. That would be a lot simpler all round.
However, I can't see it working without 3DR's involvement as the salesman in the store won't know the difference between a manufacturing failure in the drone or a crash due to pilot error. If the store then has to refer this to 3DR it just seems like the process will be over-complicated with a middleman that has no technical understanding or involvement of sending in flight logs, photos, videos etc.

My wife actually bought the Solo as a gift for me and even took out the extra 3 year cover that the Harvey Norman salesmen always push. I doubt that I would have taken the extra cover for a product like a drone which is always going to be difficult to prove what the failure was due to.

The GoPro was also bought at Harvey Norman at a separate time - but if there was the slightest possibility that they would replace the drone, I really can't see them accepting liability for the GoPro.

I expect it should be the same situation in the US. Would the major retailers like B&H also allow you to return a used drone that has crashed due to a manufacturing fault or do people have to deal with the manufacturer? I've only heard of people dealing with 3DR when it comes to crashes.

Pete

Pete, so in this case what will the 3 yr cover (warranty?) do?
I suppose this would cover an appliance or electronic device that fails?

Hi Chris,

Yes it was bought from Harvey Norman. I originally hoped that 3DR would simply arrange a credit note that I could take to the store and get a new replacement. That would be a lot simpler all round.
However, I can't see it working without 3DR's involvement as the salesman in the store won't know the difference between a manufacturing failure in the drone or a crash due to pilot error. If the store then has to refer this to 3DR it just seems like the process will be over-complicated with a middleman that has no technical understanding or involvement of sending in flight logs, photos, videos etc.

My wife actually bought the Solo as a gift for me and even took out the extra 3 year cover that the Harvey Norman salesmen always push. I doubt that I would have taken the extra cover for a product like a drone which is always going to be difficult to prove what the failure was due to.

The GoPro was also bought at Harvey Norman at a separate time - but if there was the slightest possibility that they would replace the drone, I really can't see them accepting liability for the GoPro.

I expect it should be the same situation in the US. Would the major retailers like B&H also allow you to return a used drone that has crashed due to a manufacturing fault or do people have to deal with the manufacturer? I've only heard of people dealing with 3DR when it comes to crashes.

Pete
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the info.

I think that if 3DR turn it around in roughly two weeks it would be best to use their process. However if your not happy with it then be aware that retailers hate having items referred to fair trading.

Since you have the correspondence from 3DR saying that they are accepting liability you would have a good case to push the retailer to 'refund, repair or replace' and those would be the options you get to choose not the retailer. As soon as 3DR said they would do something due to the fault of the product that opened the door for you, fair trading would be able to use that information to help you (if it was a $50 toy it would be a different matter but I'm guessing you paid around $1500-$2000 so their is a higher expectation). You most likely would take a hit on the gopro as it was bought at a separate time but it might still be covered since 3DR has accepted it, something to consider if the RMA process takes too long. I would have expected that they would want the logs, determine if it was their issue, if so then send out a reply paid parcel (or reimburse you for the postage) and then send you out a replacement. It shouldnt take more than 2 weeks to turn that around, even with international postage in the mix.

Keep us posted on how the 3dr process goes. I'm from NSW and hope I never have to test out this process.

Chris

The insurance company only covers you when the manufacturers warranty has expired. For a $1500 AUD drone it should be 12mths satutory warranty - something we cant sign away.

Reactions: Maddog
Did you insure it when solo cost $1,400USD or $600USD? It seems insurance would be good to cover any damages you might do but not sure if it's worth it for a $600 device. I paid more for my cell phone than I did my 2nd solo lol.

I don't know to be honest. My wife took it out and not me.
I wouldn't have taken it for a drone as I think it will be tough to convince the store what is a genuine fault - unless I am able to secure an assessment from 3DR for any future problem that might say something like "This is an accepted fault with the Solo, but it is now out of warranty" so then the stores 3yr cover can kick in? Will have to see if I ever need to go down that path.

This type of cover is really more applicable to something like a fridge that you switch on and use, and generally can't be blamed on pilot error ;-)

Reactions: Maddog
Did you insure it when solo cost $1,400USD or $600USD? It seems insurance would be good to cover any damages you might do but not sure if it's worth it for a $600 device. I paid more for my cell phone than I did my 2nd solo lol.

Nearer the top $ mark. Australian price hasn't changed that much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M