Return to Me

Reaction score
P2P, You had mentioned on here

There is a bug in the android app that makes return to ME not work and sends it off into la la land. Return to HOME should work fine though.

If this is the case, why wasn't this addressed by 3dr ? Did they go defunct before this flaw was discovered by the flying communtiy?

and

If one's initiates this Return to Me function by accident , can it be overridden by pressing the "Pause" or "Fly" Button...to stop it before it flies off to LaLa Land.......????

Thanks

The developers were being laid off. It was in beta testing at the time, not fully tested and complete. So 3DR pushed it out to everyone as a full production release despite the developers not being done testing and debugging. Then 2 days later, the last of them were laid off leaving nobody to fix what was wrong. It's downright dangerous, as there is no release note or notification not to use the feature. They just let people unknowingly use it lose their drone.

In any case, as long as you still have a connection to the controller, you can always hit FLY and cancel a return-to-me or return-to-home. But that's the whole point of the function to begin with... if you lose connection with the controller, it will return to you. Which is bad.

RTH and RTM work properly in the 3DR apple app and the Solex android app. On the 3DR android app, you should only use RTH.

Reactions: Badzilla
Got it...Thanks for the explanation......

I am only using the 3DR android Solo app right now......so it is always set to Return to Home ( Launch Point )......

I guess it would behoove me to get the Solex app........So Kelly fixed this Return to Me in his app.....???

I can see why someone would use "Return to Me".......if they had physically move while the drone was in the air....and wanted the drone to return to where they presently were....but only to find out that their drone may fly off to LaLa Land if connection is lost........

Thanks for your reply.....

Yes, Kelly's app does not have this bug and it works properly. It's especially useful when doing a long follow me shot where you may be nowhere near your launch location.

So if Kelly was able to fix that problem in his app, why isn't someone able to fix it in the Solo app or does it need to fixed in Ardupilot firmware.....??? and with all the software guys out there that tinker with this code & update github with a fix for this.......again just curious as it is a known issue.....

I know it is easy for me to ask this question not being a software geek vs the complexity of the issue .....

As P2P said above, there are no developers at 3DR working on the Solo app. If you are expecting improvements in the future I recommend getting the Solex app. At least we know Kelly will be polishing it for us into the future (unless he decides to lay himself off [emoji15]).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: twk01 and Jubalr
Hi, I tired to find the solex app on the apple store. Is this only available with android? Using a ipad mini for flying.

Hi, I tired to find the solex app on the apple store. Is this only available with android? Using a ipad mini for flying.
Yes, Android only. It's a great app and many Apple users have bought a cheap Android tablet just to dedicate to Solo and Solex.

Thanks for the quick reply. Best Buy here I come!
Even with having to get an Android tablet to use it, Solex is well worth the money and effort. Kelly has already taken Solex beyond the stock Solo app, and he continues to add to it. He is the man!

Solex...is it $30 per device....I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone & a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 ( 10.1 display )......Do have to pay $30 for each or just a once time fee & load to multiple devices......

??

Solex...is it $30 per device....I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone & a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 ( 10.1 display )......Do have to pay $30 for each or just a once time fee & load to multiple devices......

??
when I tried to load it to my phone after I loaded it to my tablet still wanted money but you can family share it just add it to you family share then down load it to next device that's what I did

I was about to post the same issue untill I came across this post. I think I worked out what the issue is....
I was preparing the Return to Home to be to ME, instead of it usual to Launch. This because I was planning on starting from a boat with not many treeless patches of land around.
When I was starting from land, I forgot all about that an pressed return to home and off it went, away from me.... After recovering from my astonishment, I realised it must be the Android phone that set it's internal GPS in power save mode. Solo probably returned to the last registered coordinated when I used my phone on the boat to check Google maps. If there is nothing actively keeping GPS in use, I guess it's GPS turned off. Maps was turned off when flying the drone and Solo's app is probably not keeping it alive, thus not updating it's location. Any thoughts on this being the cause? Solo went straight to the previous location my phone had GPS coordinates from what it looked like.
How to solve this if this power save is the cause and the Solo app not keeping it alive/actual.
Or does the controller have an internal GPS also? I have not tried with Solex yet b.t.w....

Last edited:
Did you read this thread? Return to me has a bug in the Android 3DR Solo app. It will not ever work right now matter what your device location settings are.

Did you read this thread? Return to me has a bug in the Android 3DR Solo app. It will not ever work right now matter what your device location settings are.
I read it (did you read mine?) but if what I described is the culprit, it could be seen as a bug as well. I was more contemplating as to what the cause might be for that behaviour. Or is it officially on 3DR's bug list?

I read it (did you read mine?) but if what I described is the culprit, it could be seen as a bug as well. I was more contemplating as to what the cause might be for that behaviour. Or is it officially on 3DR's bug list?
Yes I did, which is why I again stated what the real problem is. It's a bug in the app, and has nothing to do with your phone's location settings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle