Questions about OpenSolo

Reaction score
I just bought a used Solo and it works great with the stock firmware. But I would also like to use OpenSolo. So here are my questions.

1. Is it possible to switch back to the current software state of my solo and controller prior to installing OpenSolo and if so how?
  2. Is OpenSolo compatible with the 3DR Solo App or do I need to purchase either Solex or SidePilot?
  3. Is OpenSolo stable with the stock Pixhawk 2.0 because I read somewhere that there was a hardware issue that would cause the motors to shut off and 3DR had a software workaround so does it have that same workaround?
  4. Does it have the same full GoPro integration as it has had before?
Thanks.

Is it possible to switch back to the current software state of my solo and controller prior to installing OpenSolo and if so how?
I take it what you mean is "If I install open solo, is it possible to revert back to the Original software". The answer is "Why the heck would you want to?". Open solo makes a lot of improvements to the drones software and autopilot. Currently the "latest" software on your solo is about 2 - 3 years out of date. Open solo brings it up to speed and solves many issues. It also severs the ties with the 3DR servers (which are bound to go offline anyway) and gets rid of the "preflight update needed" screen. So while it may be possible to revert back to your current software, it would be a headache to do and shouldn't be done anyway. There's not much info on how to do this as everyone who has installed Open Solo has been so happy with the results, they haven't bothered to revert back to the older software.

Is OpenSolo compatible with the 3DR Solo App or do I need to purchase either Solex or SidePilot?
As far as I know it's compatible with the 3DR solo app, however you may want to make sure. I know it's not compatible with the 3DR simulator app however. It's recommended that if you're using an Android device that you purchase solex (it's only what.. $30?). It has many many more advanced features than the 3DR app while still being easy to use. Well worth the money.

Is OpenSolo stable with the stock Pixhawk 2.0 because I read somewhere that there was a hardware issue that would cause the motors to shut off and 3DR had a software workaround so does it have that same workaround?
Open Solo is compatible with both the Stock Pixhawk and The Green Cube. When you go to install Open Solo it will automatically detect which you have installed (green cube or stock cube) and load the correct version of the software.

Does it have the same full GoPro integration as it has had before?
Open Solo does not affect the use of your GoPro.

So everything I can do now with my solo such as hold fly to take off and land, and return to launch work? Also, if I do a factory reset, will it reset all parameters to default for solo and not just the general default? And what do you think about SidePilot compared to Solex? If I mess something up I just want to have a reliable way of reverting it before I install OpenSolo 3.0.0

Yup, there's also improvements in the autoland detection. The 3dr app offered "return to me" which didn't work, this now works with solex.... speaking of which, the easiest way to do the upgrade is via solex. I don't use sidepilot, that's iOS only and I use Android.

If open solo is installed then afterwards, factory resetting will reset the drone and controller to open solo. The old 3dr software will no longer exist (thankfully).

My advice is to buy solex, get used to using it to fly your drone. Then look at doing the open solo upgrade later when you're more comfy with it. No need to rush things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wetstone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado