Question about RTH

Here's a link to my log files if anyone is interested in trying to figure out what happened.

logs_1467842167497.zip

Santiago at 3dr has asked for the log files. Hopefully they can see what happened.

You can retrieve the data flash logs by logging on into Solo with eg WinSCP, go to the /logs/dataflash directory, and drag&drop the log to Yor PC drive. A matter of seconds to transfer.

Then open the file in MP (dataflash tab) for analysis.
Look at any error events (red labeled), the GPS sat and HDOP values at the point of RTH in the results window.

You may also check vibration levels -> see Arducopter documentation. Heavy vibrations can also cause a reset of the GPS.
what does a data flash log look like? I can find the data flash folder but when I click on it it does not open. It just closes the entire directory tree up. I was able to get to the tlogs but it was a battle. Just clicking on the log folder caused the directory tree to close.
Edit: now I can open the data flash file folder but there is nothing in there?
image.jpeg
In MP after you click on the data flash tab there are several options- which one? Connected MP to Solo and tried to "download via mavlink" but got this error message:
image.jpeg

Maddog you need to login into Solo, not the Controller.
Download via MP is unreliable and very slow. Better to grab them directly from Solo.

Reactions: Maddog
That looks like WinSCP you're using to connect, which is correct. However as mentioned above, you need to connect to the solo. Use IP address 10.1.1.10 to connect to the Solo. You're probably connected to 10.1.1.1 now, which is the controller. The BIN (dataflash) are only on the solo.

If one wanted to just look at the HDOP and number of satellites, isn't that info in the tlogs on the device (android anyway)
Yes, that and a whole lot more in the Tlogs. You can review the flight and watch data change as it plays back in Mission Planner.

Yes, that and a whole lot more in the Tlogs. You can review the flight and watch data change as it plays back in Mission Planner.
Thanks Jubalr,
If Tlogs were played back in MP would a RTH alert appear, or perhaps another parm to look at for RTH?

Yes, as you file is playing back, it displays the flight mode it is in along with any errors or red flags.

It did it again tonight. The controller went offline like it did to me on the 4th. This time I initiated the RTH and as soon as I did that the LEDs went to flashing red and the controller went into shutdown mode. It landed without incident. The controller continued its shutdown routine for several minutes. The tablet was showing the Solo abt 240' away which was probably close.
I'm assuming that was the last time it had communication with the controller. Once the controller shut down I restarted it and it booted fine and was ready to fly. I had to reboot the Nexus 7 in order to get it to connect again. I flew the second battery with no problems.
One difference is that I was in a wide open field and not in a wifi polluted neighborhood. From the searches if seen on here so far, the folks that have had similar problems don't seem to see the controller go into shut down like mine is doing.
I submitted another ticket tonight to 3dr. Hopefully they can help me get it sorted out. I really like the Solo but don't think I'm going to put up with much more of this. It's not even a month old.

I'm looking at the logs. None show any flights. They're all just sitting on the ground. One is almost an hour long, just sitting on the ground. The other two are less than a minute, also sitting on the ground. Did you by chance do a factory reset prior to downloading the logs??

I believe in your attempts to connect and retrieve logs, you have overwritten the log needed from the Support folder. It will only keep the last 3 connects. If you are on Android, they are also on your tablet and in the Android\data\3dr services directory. You will need to look at the log date/file times to find the one that matches that flight.

Instead of going to the support folder (didn't even notice that existed), go directly to root\logs on the solo. Connect to the Solo, not the controller by using IP address 10.1.1.10 in WinSCP. That should have every log back to day 1 as long as you haven't factory reset it.

Thanks for the help guys.
I hadn't done a factory reset on it. I'm thinking the long time sitting on the ground that you saw in the logs was from when I was attempting to send log files to 3dr from the tablet. It was sitting a long time trying upload logs. Then finally showing it successfully sent log files to 3dr.
Santiago from 3dr said he never received them. I tried this several times and he never did receive files until I put them on the google drive and sent them to him.

I think I have a bad controller.

I'll try the WinSCP sometime this weekend. I'm done flying this until it gets worked out.

Thanks again guys.

Don.

I agree you definitely should not fly it given these issues. I've had hit or miss issues with the logs sending to 3DR as well. I've ended up emailing them a zip file manually.

Here are all of the logs (.BIN) from yesterday that should include the loss of controller. That is if anyone wants to review them. Yesterday's happened shortly before 7:27 pm 7/7/16. Before that it was on the 4th, in the afternoon but I don't remember an exact time.

WINSCP is much easier to use to get the log files. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Thanks.

Don.

Solo logs from WinSCP 7-8

Last edited:
Here are all of the logs (.BIN) from yesterday that should include the loss of controller. That is if anyone wants to review them. Yesterday's happened shortly before 7:27 pm 7/7/16. Before that it was on the 4th, in the afternoon but I don't remember an exact time.

WINSCP is much easier to use to get the log files. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Thanks.

Don.

Solo logs from WinSCP 7-8

Nothing abnormal besides the radio failsafe kicking in from the dataflash logs that I could see. It was only a quick look. I had a look at the earlier tlogs to see if I could get an idea of your wifi signal. The tlog parameter remrssi should be your wifi link quality. It seems that the tlogs in the earlier zip file are from different times, also be careful uploading logs when bench testing at home, they will contain your home address.

If you could find the tlogs from the event itself that would be good. But all it will tell us is if you had a bad rssi to start with (sign of a wifi saturated env or not a good antenna setup) or if it was a sudden good to bad signal (did something get between you and the solo?)

Note that it appears that RC3_IN (which is the throttle level is used to determine if you have a signal) stays low (PWM 898) from the time it went into fail safe to the time you landed. That means that hitting brake or fly or anything else wouldn't have helped as you saw. It seems that you never restored wifi link for that flight? I've had loss of wifi but it is usually restored in a 10 to 15 secs max.

Note that dataflash logs wont contain the remrssi as its something that the controller determines.

Do you have a wifi scanner you can use? If you have an android phone download wifi analyzer and use it to see if the area is wifi saturated.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for reviewing the logs and getting back to me. When the failure happened I would think you should see a very low Rssi value. The controller goes into a shutdown routine when this happens. I lose connection with the Solo and tablet. I'm thinking that would also be the reason for the RC3_IN reporting low for the duration.
No, it never does restore the link. The controller is in shutdown routine for several minutes then turns off. I have to power it back on in order to reconnect. Interestingly the tablet has to be rebooted when this happens too. I can't just go into settings find the wifi and reconnect.

Where is the home address stored? Is it my physical addy or ip?

I'm not too worried about the physical addy.

Thanks again for looking at this.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for reviewing the logs and getting back to me. When the failure happened I would think you should see a very low Rssi value. The controller goes into a shutdown routine when this happens. I lose connection with the Solo and tablet. I'm thinking that would also be the reason for the RC3_IN reporting low for the duration.
No, it never does restore the link. The controller is in shutdown routine for several minutes then turns off. I have to power it back on in order to reconnect. Interestingly the tablet has to be rebooted when this happens too. I can't just go into settings find the wifi and reconnect.

Where is the home address stored? Is it my physical addy or ip?

I'm not too worried about the physical addy.

Thanks again for looking at this.
Hi Don,

No probs we're all here to help each other.

It should reconnect, no restarts req normally. You also shouldnt lose connection with your tab either (even in a rich wifi area, the two are within 15cm of each other). If on the app there is no green connection symbol for the controller when it happens then it sounds like a faulty controller to me. Hopefully 3DR will come to the same conclusion and replace it.

Its your physical address at home as you got a gps lock while you were testing at home. If you open up the logs in MP you'll see what i mean.

Chris

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I stopped by Best Buy today to see if I can exchange the whole thing.
They have a 15 day rule. After that it's up to the manufacturer to warranty it. I'm a few days outside of their window.
I would rather replace the controller. The quad seems fine.
I really like this unit and don't want to give it up.

I agree, I think it's a controller failure. I was going to open it up to check it out but figure I'll give 3dr first crack at it.

Don.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks