Problems with setting up zipline

Reaction score
Today I took my first flight since getting an Ipad mini in order to try out the features not available for android (2.4 app update). Everything went pretty well, it was nice flying with a lager screen, as I had been flying on a Note 4. All went well until I tried to fly a zip line. I opened up smart shots, selected zip line then when pushing A to set direction, solo would return to home. I did this multiple times. First time I figure it was my fault because I pushed and held A. After trying a second and third time just tapping A it still returned to home. Also I decided to try cable cam. Entered cable cam by hitting A on the controller as that is it preset. then set multiple points using A then when pushing B to set end, Solo Returned to home. Anyone else experience this, Or am I missing something/doing something wrong? As always thanks in advance.

Just took it out again and tried zip line and this time it worked. I guess maybe some kind of glitch in the app? when I went out the first time I did notice when I opened the app the screen was grey instead of playing the video like it usually does. This time everything opened up and worked as it should.

Just took it out again and tried zip line and this time it worked. I guess maybe some kind of glitch in the app? when I went out the first time I did notice when I opened the app the screen was grey instead of playing the video like it usually does. This time everything opened up and worked as it should.
General rule of thumb: Make sure the GoPro is firmly seated in the gimbal every time you fly. If at first you don't succeed, try again. And if that doesn't work:
  1. Land
  2. Power down EVERYTHING (Solo, Controller, tablet/phone, GoPro)
  3. Turn on everything in this order: GoPro, Solo, Controller, Tablet/phone.
Usually I don't need to do all that. For example, the tablet probably doesn't need to be power cycled and it doesn't seem to matter anymore what order you power things on... but if all else fails I go back to these 3 steps and it always seems to work.

Reactions: RichWest
This exact thing happened to me and it was doing my head in. I kept thinking that it was maybe related to my altitude limit or something but a reboot fixed it. Kinda concerning though. I think solo has too many things going on under the hood and you can never get support to explain away any of this. As a technical person this drives me nuts because there is always an explanation for anything that happens in software.

And regarding startup sequence I tend to have the most luck with controller first since it broadcasts the wifi. Then solo. Then finally the app. Under normal circumstances if your hdmi connection is solid and your GoPro is securely connected to the gimbal then it powers on and off by itself pretty reliably. On occasion something causes GoPro to lock up which requires a battery pull on the camera. Minor things like no video are resolved by killing and restarting the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also I decided to try cable cam. Entered cable cam by hitting A on the controller as that is it preset. then set multiple points using A then when pushing B to set end, Solo Returned to home. Anyone else experience this, Or am I missing something/doing something wrong?

Third flight of Solo today. Was looking forward to trying out Cable Cam. This exact scenario happened to me. Multiple attempts, same story - Drop a few points using A, then ending the cable with B, Solo goes into RTH.

Some frustration. Unfortunately I have only one battery so that was my one flight. I'll give the start up sequence a try that Nuggetz mentioned - I have been going App, Radio, Solo. Will give Radio, Solo, App a go next time. If all else fails, will power cycle everything.

Thanks guys.

Reactions: Cooper772
...I'll give the start up sequence a try that Nuggetz mentioned - I have been going App, Radio, Solo. Will give Radio, Solo, App a go next time. If all else fails, will power cycle everything.

Thanks guys.
Okay, I haven't flown a Smart Shot yet because I live too close to the water and I don't want my first 'Smart' trial to end up in the drink, but, as far as flying with GPS or Fly Manual, I have never paid attention to start-up/boot-up sequence. I think I said in another post... I just "turn stuff on" - although I think I am regularly booting the Solo last simply because it has the shortest battery life and I don't want to wait for anything else to boot with the Solo already running. Want to save every possible second for flight time, not waiting for controller or tablet/Apps to fire up. Of course, the longest wait is Solo's GPS anyway, but that hasn't been bad (with a clear outdoor canopy) with Rev B and cardboard. (Have the new GPS shield, but haven't encountered the ol' install round-tuit lately.)

Okay, I haven't flown a Smart Shot yet because I live too close to the water and I don't want my first 'Smart' trial to end up in the drink, but, as far as flying with GPS or Fly Manual, I have never paid attention to start-up/boot-up sequence. I think I said in another post... I just "turn stuff on" - although I think I am regularly booting the Solo last simply because it has the shortest battery life and I don't want to wait for anything else to boot with the Solo already running. Want to save every possible second for flight time, not waiting for controller or tablet/Apps to fire up. Of course, the longest wait is Solo's GPS anyway, but that hasn't been bad (with a clear outdoor canopy) with Rev B and cardboard. (Have the new GPS shield, but haven't encountered the ol' install round-tuit lately.)
I think it comes down to this. Most of the time, boot order doesn't matter. But when you are experiencing issues or glitches, powering everything (that means everything, including your phone/tablet and pulling the battery from your GoPro), and then restarting seems to help. Personally I like to power on the GoPro manually first, then the Solo. The Solo creates the wifi network that everything connects to, so I like to give that a moment to get going while I turn on the controller and tablet.

...Personally I like to power on the GoPro manually first, then the Solo. The Solo creates the wifi network that everything connects to, so I like to give that a moment to get going while I turn on the controller and tablet.
Oh, my GPH4B powers-on and off each time with the Solo, so no additional fiddling required there. I know that Solo is huffing and puffing to get started with the network and GPS, but I still likely (mostly) turn it on last. But then again, maybe not sometimes...

Hate to be such a fangirl, but so far, this stuff is working as advertised. Of course, the moment it doesn't, I'll be back here complaining, asking dumb questions, etc. ;)

I have the intermittent issue that Hero 4 Black doesn't turn on via the controller link through Solo—maybe one out of 8 times. I also follow what I understand to be best practices... controller first, Solo second.

I have the intermittent issue that Hero 4 Black doesn't turn on via the controller link through Solo—maybe one out of 8 times. I also follow what I understand to be best practices... controller first, Solo second.
I didn't know anything about or think about the "controller link" through Solo regarding power to the H4B. After I start all the devices, I "Connect" with the App on my Galaxy Tab S2 8" (new model 713) and my picture is there. When the Solo is finished booting and finished setting up its network, the network shows up in my list and I select it. Then I look for that picture on the App (always there) and know the H4B is on - dead giveaway. Inside, I may still have a wait for GPS, but outside in my usual flying area where GPS doesn't have to work too hard to get a fix, it's nearly instantaneous to "Fly"... so far.

In other words, and for all intents and purposes, my H4B operates just as though the camera power leads are in parallel with the Solo power leads and all operated by a virtual SPST switch off the Solo battery. That's the kind of simplicity the user wants, even though the parallel power end game is apparently achieved much differently - which I suppose, explains why it doesn't work for some people, some times...

Oh, my GPH4B powers-on and off each time with the Solo, so no additional fiddling required there.
Right. But in the case where you are having an issue that doesn't clear itself up with a couple reboots of the Solo... then you shut everything down and follow a boot order where you power on the GoPro manually before the Solo. I do this even if I know it's not the GoPro causing the issue. (Actually, I pull the GoPro battery first because that's the only way to truly power cycle a GoPro).

Personally I like to power on the GoPro manually first, then the Solo. The Solo creates the wifi network that everything connects to, so I like to give that a moment to get going while I turn on the controller and tablet.

The controller hosts the wifi not the solo.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The controller hosts the wifi not the solo.
I never even noticed that until you said this, then went to try it. Solo network was out there with Controller-only on. More reason to boot Solo last. And, H4B still lights-off with Solo power even after significant delay between booting the Controller/connecting to it with App. I can apparently keep the Controller and App connected for a significant time and not worry about turning on the Solo in a hurry - though I think I read here today that the Controller has a no-connection time-out period.

The RC pilot inside me cringes at the idea of powering the aircraft before the radio.

... I think I am regularly booting the Solo last simply because it has the shortest battery life ...

When the motors aren't spinning, Solo's battery drain is very small. For many months now I turn on Solo FIRST, then start assembling the controller and booting it up. By time that's done, Solo is ready to fly with GPS already locked in.

The RC pilot inside me cringes at the idea of powering the aircraft before the radio.

Powering on Solo first gives me no problems. Should it?

Disclaimer: I'm not being contentious here at all. Just looking for information. Thanks in advance for any info you can share. It helps all of us.

This is a habit you'll see with old timer RC guys using legacy RC systems. Back when they were using 72mhz and a few guys flying together, if you powered on your RX (aircraft) first there was a chance your RC would Bind with whatever signal it picked up - i.e. Not your radio.

Another consideration is failsafes built into receivers are programmed to kick in when there is no TX signal. Sometimes there are glitches, or default setting are such that your aircraft will spool up to full throttle in this scenario. Plug in your battery without radio on, and all of a sudden whirring blades of death are inches from your face.

Don't think solo will act this way. Just past habits deeply engrained.

Reactions: Joe Horn
Thanks, PJ, for that info. Wow, now I understand your reticence to power-up Solo first! "All of a sudden whirring blades of death are inches from your face." Yikes! :eek: I'll find powering up Solo first more exciting now! o_O

Yeah man, every RC guy seems to have at least one of "those" stories.

Uh... I flew small fixed wing model planes in a circle around me with 2 control 'strings' running out to the gas powered aircraft. Used to go crazy and do a loop now and again and then actually land it on its gear without damage... <thumbsup> How's that?? That's my story and I'm "sticking" with it.

Reactions: bluesgeek

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc