power pack blew: need quick, temp fix?

Doc

Reaction score
Hi there. My charging power pack blew this evening and I won't manage to get a new one for a few days, but I need the batteries charged for a job I'm starting tomorrow.
Are there any short term fixes that you could suggest to get the batteries charged? i.e wiring it to another power pack etc?

Any help or advice is greatly received.

Doc

Hi there. My charging power pack blew this evening and I won't manage to get a new one for a few days, but I need the batteries charged for a job I'm starting tomorrow.
Are there any short term fixes that you could suggest to get the batteries charged? i.e wiring it to another power pack etc?

Any help or advice is greatly received.

Doc
Do you have a B6 style charger? Make an adaptor to fit the plug on the battery. Something like two spade connectors that will slip into the plug on the battery. I have not tried this yet but I will be making a cable to test it with.
JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE POLARITY CORRECT BEFORE CHARGING.

Reactions: MCSPDX
Do you have a B6 style charger? Make an adaptor to fit the plug on the battery. Something like two spade connectors that will slip into the plug on the battery. I have not tried this yet but I will be making a cable to test it with.
JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE POLARITY CORRECT BEFORE CHARGING.

cheers for the reply, but I'm not electric savvy enough to know what you mean.
Can I just cut out the power pack and rejoin the cable and just plug it in?

Yes but make sure the + on the battery goes to the + or Red port on the B6 charger port and the - goes to the Black or - port on the B6 charger. See the pic. You will need to find someone with a volt meter or digital multi meter that can check which wire on the cable you are going to cut off, goes to + or -.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
so you are saying i can take a 240v electric cable and splice it to the battery charger cable ( the end with the battery attachment) then just plug it in?

No..no

What died? The charger? Do you have a B6 style charger?
I just set up a test with my B6 charger and it does indeed work. See pics.
If you don't know how to work with electronics please be careful. You can start a fire if you are not careful.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
I only have the standard solo charger, I don't have that charging unit you have pictured. I wouldn't know where to get such a thing, but that set up looks easy enough but again I'm at a loss as to what to use as suitable replacement

You can buy one of those chargers at most decent hobby shops. They have them that run on 12vdc (car battery) or house voltage.
I'm afraid you are stuck at this point unless you know other flyers that can set you up.

Good luck.

The b6 requires a balance plug. Hence the setup is more complicated than just sticking the two wires into the battery.

The b6 requires a balance plug. Hence the setup is more complicated than just sticking the two wires into the battery.
Really??
It works fine for me. No balance charge but in a punch it works for me.

Really??
It works fine for me. No balance charge but in a punch it works for me.
B6 charger get the battery cell configuration by reading the voltage off the balance plug. Without it, how does the charger know the solo is a 4S battery?

B6 charger get the battery cell configuration by reading the voltage off the balance plug. Without it, how does the charger know the solo is a 4S battery?
I guess my B6 chargers work differently. I plug in the 2 wire, hit auto, charge. it senses a 4s and starts charging

I guess my B6 chargers work differently. I plug in the 2 wire, hit auto, charge. it senses a 4s and starts charging
So, only you can do what you said you can do. I did a quick search of b6 chargers I have and on the net, don't see an "auto" button. Care to upload a link where you get your b6 or a closeup picture of your b6

So, only you can do what you said you can do. I did a quick search of b6 chargers I have and on the net, don't see an "auto" button. Care to upload a link where you get your b6 or a closeup picture of your b6
Sure..I can do that when I get home.
Did you see the pics I posted earlier in the thread?

Yes, it seems like a b6 but can't see the "auto" button you mentioned.

You can manually select the cell count or select "auto"
I looked thru my manuals (I had 4 different b6 suppliers) and downloaded the one from the net http://ittgroup.ee/files/IMAX_B6_manual.pdf, I could find the "auto" feature you mentioned. In fact, if you care to look at page 4, it clearly said the balance plug must be connected to the charger. You surely have one of the kind b6 charger.Capture.JPG

I looked thru my manuals (I had 4 different b6 suppliers) and downloaded the one from the net http://ittgroup.ee/files/IMAX_B6_manual.pdf, I could find the "auto" feature you mentioned. In fact, if you care to look at page 4, it clearly said the balance plug must be connected to the charger. You surely have one of the kind b6 charger.View attachment 4706

All I can tell you is I've been using it this way for several years without anyou issues. Also, there isn't a balance port on the 3DR battery.

I looked thru my manuals (I had 4 different b6 suppliers) and downloaded the one from the net http://ittgroup.ee/files/IMAX_B6_manual.pdf, I could find the "auto" feature you mentioned. In fact, if you care to look at page 4, it clearly said the balance plug must be connected to the charger. You surely have one of the kind b6 charger.View attachment 4706
Why do we care about your chargers? There is info for Don's charger by simply searching for "Thunder AC6 Dual Power". It says it has 'Auto'.
When charging or discharging, the smart charger offers an AUTO function that sets the feeding current or the cell count of the Lithium battery automatically.

Lots of info here - though I haven't found the manual. Then again, haven't looked that hard.
Thunder AC6 Smart LiPo Balance Charger/Discharger w/ AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo/ 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo