Peau 3.37 vs 5.4.

Reaction score
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>.

About a week ago I shared an example of a Peau 5.4 mm lens. It was great to bring objects closer but suffered in sharpness. This example is a 3.37. You will see everything is much sharper. It may actually be better than the 3.97. Light conditions were changing constantly during this flight. From cloudy to full sun.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichWest
Thanks for sharing, I think the 3.9 and 3.3 are pretty close in sharpness. They both seem to have some lens distortion, not on your video how it "appears" there is a dip in the middle of the field of view on the horizon. I have noticed similar distortion on the 3.9 depending on the angle of the camera. You can sort of pick up on it here

Reactions: David Boulanger
Peau told me 3.37 makes the older ones obsolete.

I think my "dip " is because on the right side are close trees and then they are further away in the center or left. That being said, my 3.97 does some strange things to the horizon 5 degrees or so on each side. If that makes any sense.

of course they told you that, Apple thinks you should buy their new phone too.
If the 3.97 is obsolete maybe they will drop the price, I could use a second.
David has I right, lenses are like paint brushes to an artist, They all have a different look and feel.
Even lenses at the same specs but different manufacturers.

I have to try some still shots with the 5.4. Horizon did not seem to have any flaws with the 5.4. Not as sharp but in video at 2.7k 60fps medium FOV the 5.4 zoom factor was huge. I prefer the 3.97 or 3.37 at this point.

I had a 4.4 Chinese lens before the Peau, I would rather crop/zoom in post and keep the IQ
That is why I am glad you posted this. Been watching the 3.3 videos and they are nice, but I have not seen anything that made me want to opt up

of course they told you that, Apple thinks you should buy their new phone too.
If the 3.97 is obsolete maybe they will drop the price, I could use a second.
David has I right, lenses are like paint brushes to an artist, They all have a different look and feel.
Even lenses at the same specs but different manufacturers.

I know, I figured the same thing.
I went 3.37 because I thought it looked the most focused.

I had a 4.4 Chinese lens before the Peau, I would rather crop/zoom in post and keep the IQ
That is why I am glad you posted this. Been watching the 3.3 videos and they are nice, but I have not seen anything that made me want to opt up
I have still 12mp photos with the 3.37, 3.97. You need to crop out at least 5% all around because they are all soft around the edges.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
For comparison again

Nicely done David, the best I've seen to date for stability, I really appreciate the various pans and lateral moves. I think the 5.4mm is just too much for your setup, the 3.37mm is night and day better. Like Pyrate said, you can zoom in post with that type of quality.

I can also tell you either locked down the gimbal or up the sharpening in post, as I could see moire effect on the roof panels. You may still have an over exposure issue due to micro vibes, the sun was not the typical bright with sharp shadows. But still amazing and easier to work from as you have it now.

Again really nice work. Must share your secrets for stable video...

Rich,
I have a bad habit of over sharpening in post. I will keep working on that flaw in my editing. Exposure appears to be the most important thing. Over is bad and under a bit is better. However, when you have clouds to clear sky in 8 minutes its a bit difficult.. This was a fixed shutter speed. I get what you are saying about the over exposure micro vibes. HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Reactions: RichWest
I was so happy when we had fixed shutter, but found it difficult to dial in, and too easy to over expose and ended up going back to firmware 3

This was my first flight with 3.37mm lens, wanted a quick run to see how it looked, no nd filter (which is needed)

Reactions: vsasolutions
Rich,
I have a bad habit of over sharpening in post. I will keep working on that flaw in my editing. Exposure appears to be the most important thing. Over is bad and under a bit is better. However, when you have clouds to clear sky in 8 minutes its a bit difficult.. This was a fixed shutter speed. I get what you are saying about the over exposure micro vibes. HAPPY NEW YEAR.
I don't mean to sound critical, I just understand where you are and where you are trying to go with the video. Again it looks great, you are on the right path.

Happy New Year to you and yours....!

Reactions: David Boulanger
it is hit or miss in bright conditions. I take notes of different conditions and hope for the best. Sometimes I think leaving the shutter on auto may be better than locking it in. Who knows!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela