Handheld Solo Gimbal

Reaction score
Due to the cost of the solo gimbal being so cheap and the fact a lot of us have extras lying around I was going to make a handheld version we could use and came across this video doing basically the same thing.

The one I plan on building was going to be one handed, however this one would be cool to do and use the box to add a viewfinder via the hdmi. Let me know what you guys/gals think or if you have any suggestions. This would make for a cheap/free 3 axis gimbal when you aren't flying.

<iframe width="631" height="420" src="
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
It's a great idea that has been discussed before. Apparently nobody has figured out how to power the Solo gimbal to make it work. Adding something as a viewfinder would be outstanding.

Smaller and lighter is better.:cool:

I've thought of doing the same. But wouldn't be able to figure it out on my own.

Problem is the gimbal control is through the Pixhawk/motherboard.
Not impossible to do, but would require more effort than it is worth.
I'd look into adapting one of the open source gimbals (as shown in the video you posted). Much easier.

Due to the cost of the solo gimbal being so cheap and the fact a lot of us have extras lying around I was going to make a handheld version we could use and came across this video doing basically the same thing.

If you can live with a 2-axis gimbal, another way would be to use the DJI Phantom 2 clone gimbals with Alexmos firmware which are all over eBay for around $30-$40. So simple. Add ~12v and it will keep a steady shot straight out of the box (usually). And it has a button on the controller board that can be used to manually change the angle of the camera/gimbal. If you want to change roll/pitch with a dial, you could connect a cheap servo tester. That whole setup would usually run less than $50 (gimbal + servo tester). Whereas the Solo gimbal is fairly cheap right now, it may take a lot of contriving to get it to function well.

Reactions: Maddog
by the time you do this you could just buy one of the many handhelds already on the market

With the size of it you may as well just carry around your drone. And why would he use GoPro mounts for the handles and 3D print the attachment?! Seems like an expensive and time consuming way to just attach a hinged handle.

The one I plan on building was going to be one handed, however this one would be cool to do and use the box to add a viewfinder via the hdmi. Let me know what you guys/gals think or if you have any suggestions. This would make for a cheap/free 3 axis gimbal when you aren't flying.

<iframe width="631" height="420" src="
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
What kind of battery do you use for this??

I haven't used it for a little while ago ill have to look at it again but its fairly compact. I used 18650 batteries but I'll need to check the schematic. The mod is completely reversible. I can upload files to thingiverse or make an instructable. Now that the solo gimbals are expensive again I don't think this is the best use of the solo gimbal. Back when they were free to $39 this seemed cosy effective. Not so much anymore.

With the size of it you may as well just carry around your drone. And why would he use GoPro mounts for the handles and 3D print the attachment?! Seems like an expensive and time consuming way to just attach a hinged handle.
For smooth indoor videos with the Solo Gimbal on a Solo (with, of course, no props), I've had success with this pistol grip attachment, plus re-purposing a stock 3DR holder from a Solo Controller to hold a Nexus 7 as wireless viewfinder/remote. Had to find a couple of washers to add to the holder. Used the GoPro Capture app on the tablet, connecting to the GoPro in WiFi mode, so the Solo Controller is not needed. Don't forget to turn off the GoPro's WiFi before your next flight! See images.

Attachments

• IMG_2745.JPG
    IMG_2745.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2746.JPG
    IMG_2746.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2747.JPG
    IMG_2747.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2748.JPG
    IMG_2748.JPG