Paint Job...

Reaction score
I know many have bought the body skins and applied them to their Solos. That's cool and all, but kind cheating...;) Here's my contribution using paint. Not the best work but interesting.

I bought a frame back when they cost $50, when they were first available.... I'd been thinking of this paint idea for a while. The shape of Solo and how the frame reveals as it moves forward and back. It seemed like a cool idea, here it is...

P7210244 - Copy.JPG P7210239 - Copy.JPG P7210243 - Copy.JPG

I know many have bought the body skins and applied them to their Solos. That's cool and all, but kind cheating...;) Here's my contribution using paint. Not the best work but interesting.

I bought a frame back when they cost $50, when they were first available.... I'd been thinking of this paint idea for a while. The shape of Solo and how the frame reveals as it moves forward and back. It seemed like a cool idea, here it is...

View attachment 6649 View attachment 6650 View attachment 6651
Awesome! How did you do that?

Reactions: RichWest

View attachment 6649 View attachment 6650 View attachment 6651
One of the best looking ones out there for sure

Awesome! How did you do that?
One bird, three cans of paint. If you stand Solo on its front or rear legs resting on the respective arms, you'll see how everything aligns if you stand over the bird. The paint and frame shape creates the optical illusion.

The dark lines are a trick stolen from a skate boarding video that painted up the deck to reveal an undercoat. Anyway I drizzled release material on the frame to create the lines and then painted over with white. Then it's just painting using the two bright colors, flipping the bird end to end as they dried. Once the bird was dry I started to remove the release material. My problem is I have no patience and didn't let the paint dry long enough, so I got jagged edges. Live and learn...

I like the all black bird, but dropping below a tree line and it's lost. This was just a means to help see the bird in those situations and possibly an orientation. It was an interesting project, as I had ponder the scheme for months, a Sunday night wild hair and it was done.

I appreciate the kind words. #iflysolo

Reactions: RDA and Maddog
One bird, three cans of paint. If you stand Solo on its front or rear legs resting on the respective arms, you'll see how everything aligns if you stand over the bird. The paint and frame shape creates the optical illusion.

The dark lines are a trick stolen from a skate boarding video that painted up the deck to reveal an undercoat. Anyway I drizzled release material on the frame to create the lines and then painted over with white. Then it's just painting using the two bright colors, flipping the bird end to end as they dried. Once the bird was dry I started to remove the release material. My problem is I have no patience and didn't let the paint dry long enough, so I got jagged edges. Live and learn...

I like the all black bird, but dropping below a tree line and it's lost. This was just a means to help see the bird in those situations and possibly an orientation. It was an interesting project, as I had ponder the scheme for months, a Sunday night wild hair and it was done.

I appreciate the kind words. #iflysolo
Some people have commented in the past that once Solo reaches a certain distance away (differs for each person),
you can't tell what color Solo is painted.
Have you found that to be the case?

Some people have commented in the past that once Solo reaches a certain distance away (differs for each person),
you can't tell what color Solo is painted.
Have you found that to be the case?
It is my understanding that once a distance is met, color is lost. The old RC flyers had determined bold patterns could be. Step back to WW2 planes and that's how various planes were ID at a distance, black and white striped patterns.

Wasn't my purpose here, but was why I left the belly and will leave the batteries as stock.. Just a creative effort with a purpose to make visible below a tree line. I've yet to transplant guts in and try, as this was an extra frame and the idea was burning a hole in my mind.

If re-done, I'd choose hot pink over the green.

Reactions: Maddog
That is awesome. I want to try and find a Silber carbon fiber wrap and have my company logo put on both sides..

That is awesome. I want to try and find a Silber carbon fiber wrap and have my company logo put on both sides..
Try eBay- there are several people selling carbon fiber "decal-stuff". Some do custom printing, and we had a member here that was doing that. Don't know who it was or if he is still here but he was selling on eBay.

Try eBay- there are several people selling carbon fiber "decal-stuff". Some do custom printing, and we had a member here that was doing that. Don't know who it was or if he is still here but he was selling on eBay.
Some of those decals are super thin, you have to be careful with a heat gun, very easy to ruin, also they don't stick as well
I end up buying a sheet of 3M brand carbon wrap and a world of difference, easier and cheaper I did it in sections and did the cuts wit sig-zag scissors. Can you see the seams?image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: droner4life

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela