Orbit Mode Question

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If I place SOLO in an orbit mode, say around a house or building or a lot of tall trees are involved, will SOLO continue through the desired orbit or will it return to home upon loss of signal from the controller?

The default is to RTH upon signal loss. That can be changed in Tower or MP.
The full list of parameters is here: Complete Parameter List — Copter documentation

The one you want is
FS_GCS_ENABLE
Complete Parameter List — Copter documentation
Change to #3 (Enabled Continue with Mission in Auto Mode)

It won't change back automatically, so remember your setting. Also, if something happens I believe this will void the warranty as it changes the default configuration. Not positive.

OK, thanks for the reply. I didn't know if once you set up your orbit that SOLO would perform that routine all by itself or whether it needed constant communication with the controller. So the bottom line then is to NOT let solo get behind anything at all. I wanted to orbit around a house but standing on the ground is hard to do without losing sight of SOLO even if it's 50 - 100 feet in the air sometimes or if you're in a neighborhood with lots of trees, like I am, that isn't advisable then?

Correction, there is a 2nd parameter (FS_THR_ENABLE) that needs to be changed if you're interested. See this thread: FS_GCS_ENABLE/FS_THR_ENABLE- has anyone actually used it? YES! Read on!
In particular @Jubalr comment #13

Well, that really depends on your signal strength and what you're flying behind. I've flown over and behind my house, as well as behind trees with FPVLR antennas. Make sure your RTH height is well above anything in the area. Best to limit the time it would be obstructed by going as high as you can for the orbit. Don't just go balls out. Fly it manually slow using the stick before triggering the automation. You can also be walking as it's flying to keep the controller pointed at it to limit signal loss. This isn't something I'd attempt though without some decent flying experience under your belt - especially in manual mode.

Reactions: Mr GruntHunter
Oh, it also depends on GPS! It will RTH if it loses GPS signal as it needs the GPS coordinates to do the smartshot!

But it's relying on the GPS in order to do the orbit. If it loses gps during the orbit (or any autonomous mission), it can't complete as it can no longer guide itself since it doesn't know where it is.

OK, thanks for the reply. I didn't know if once you set up your orbit that SOLO would perform that routine all by itself or whether it needed constant communication with the controller. So the bottom line then is to NOT let solo get behind anything at all. I wanted to orbit around a house but standing on the ground is hard to do without losing sight of SOLO even if it's 50 - 100 feet in the air sometimes or if you're in a neighborhood with lots of trees, like I am, that isn't advisable then?
I know this will affect Solo during a tower mission but if Solo loses connection to controller during a smart shot will this work the same way?

I read the other thread but wasn't clear if it applied to smart shots.

Reactions: Mr GruntHunter
Solo will return home if controller is out of range. I dont think it would return home if it loses gps because how would it know where home is without gps telling solo where solo is.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Solo will return home if controller is out of range. I dont think it would return home if it loses gps because how would it know where home is without gps telling solo where solo is.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Guess I should have explained better- if you disable the fail safe telling Solo to continue with a Tower mission if it loses controller contact, will that work the same way if you are in a smart shot?

Guess I should have explained better- if you disable the fail safe telling Solo to continue with a Tower mission if it loses controller contact, will that work the same way if you are in a smart shot?
That's correct MD. It has nothing to do with Tower, so the behavior should be the same regardless. After all, missions and smart shots are all 'Guided' mode to the controller. I've seen this when playing back Tlogs during smart shots. Mode changes to Guided same as missions.

That's correct MD. It has nothing to do with Tower, so the behavior should be the same regardless. After all, missions and smart shots are all 'Guided' mode to the controller. I've seen this when playing back Tlogs during smart shots. Mode changes to Guided same as missions.
Duh- don't know why I didn't realize that before. Makes perfect sense. Thanks Jubair!

Interesting info. So if one set to "continue", you could walk completely around a building framing shots in MPCC and start the CC on one side and it would complete even though the controller would lose connection.

Or would it "rewind" on loss of connection?

Interesting info. So if one set to "continue", you could walk completely around a building framing shots in MPCC and start the CC on one side and it would complete even though the controller would lose connection.

Sounds to me that they are saying it would either rewind or try and fly back through the building if you didn't have your return to home height set much higher than the building. Apparently the Orbit plan is stored in the controller telling SOLO what to do and the GPS on SOLO is just telling it where it is in space so it can follow the controllers instructions it's being fed.

That's correct- at least it was before rewind came along. In this example I don't know if it would continue or rewind.

Rewind is so that the Solo doesn't try to return home through a tree or a building, instead it will rewind a little to try an regain communication with the controller.
I watched a webinar recently by 3DR and that subject was spoken about. They go by the theory that the Solo took a safe path in (you flew it in) so it should come out safely in the event of a communication loss using the same coordinates that you flew it in with.
In Malta, they had an RTL when filming an Orbit shot and the Solo ended up on the roof of a dome as it RTLed "as the crow flies". They had to get the authorities to get it down for them.
Rewind is an AWESOME feature. I have it turned on and tested.

Aussie

Reactions: Maddog
Rewind is so that the Solo doesn't try to return home through a tree or a building, instead it will rewind a little to try an regain communication with the controller.
I watched a webinar recently by 3DR and that subject was spoken about. They go by the theory that the Solo took a safe path in (you flew it in) so it should come out safely in the event of a communication loss using the same coordinates that you flew it in with.
In Malta, they had an RTL when filming an Orbit shot and the Solo ended up on the roof of a dome as it RTLed "as the crow flies". They had to get the authorities to get it down for them.
Rewind is an AWESOME feature. I have it turned on and tested.

Aussie
Thanks- I wasn't clear on that.

I had a LOS and RTL kicked in and instead of climbing and flying straight home it retraces its GPS breadcrumbs per the settings.

Works exactly as intended and can be very useful around large obstacles.

I've been so blown away with all the 2.4 features.

Reactions: Maddog
I had a LOS and RTL kicked in and instead of climbing and flying straight home it retraces its GPS breadcrumbs per the settings.

Works exactly as intended and can be very useful around large obstacles.

I've been so blown away with all the 2.4 features.

I like using the rewind when I fly around a tree and lose sight of the Solo. In the past I often would have to climb up to re-establish visual.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M