OPEN SOURCE FOR ALL!!

The long term benefit is migrating the smart shots, video infrastructure, etc over to ArduPilot's APsync companion computer.

Is that the Intel Edison that attaches to the PH2 carrier board? I thought I read that Intel canceled future development of their Edison, Joule and Galileo boards.

So?
You can get an imx6 solo cheap. The Edison boards don't require an Edison. I took my Edison out and have the cable coming to put the solo imx6 in its place. Instant X8 solo with 630kv motors and 14 inch props

I hope that all future updates and extra function will does not require a green cube. Because Solo+Green Cube+ Gimbal+GoPro will cost more that a new concurrent drone with commercial support.

So?
You can get an imx6 solo cheap. The Edison boards don't require an Edison. I took my Edison out and have the cable coming to put the solo imx6 in its place. Instant X8 solo with 630kv motors and 14 inch props

But what happens when the available of that dries up as all Solo components ultimately will?

Do not worry it is still possible to fix devices that aren't in production form decades. It is always possible to use some replacement parts not oryginal not from 3dr but good enough.

I haven't weigh in my opinion yet to what all this means to me...
I bought my first 3DR Solo in June of 2015, Joined 3DRPilots.com about the same time.
I can remember the Adrenalin rush i would receive when Solo lunches in the air..I still do LOL

Most of the members of 3DRPilots all shared a conman commitment since day 1, to help 3DR & members of 3DRPilots to extend the Solo's abilities & to maximize & it's longevity.

Today we stand together, Side by side, Shoulder to Shoulder with like Apple, IBM & many other's for longevity of a product that just needs only software updates to be competitive for many years.

So to all the early adopters & present owners of the Solo, Give your self a pat on the back!

We made it...

Reactions: june03dr
Well I am glad there might be some help keeping the solo up to par for a little while. But I don't expect much as new drones are coming out all the time that have surpassed what this thing is capable of no matter how much programming you want to do. I am cautiously optimistic.

There's one big thing that, at least for me, is very important. There's no transmitting of personal information and habits as well as control of what we can and cannot do that they do not have and Solo does.

mihamil writes:
.............Spares for the exact hardware used will still eventually run out, so inevitably the solo in it's exact form will become extinct like any other piece of hardware..............
----------------------
Not sure why you have to be such a debbie downer.

Well I am glad there might be some help keeping the solo up to par for a little while. But I don't expect much as new drones are coming out all the time that have surpassed what this thing is capable of no matter how much programming you want to do. I am cautiously optimistic.

If you're referring to the obstacle avoidance features becoming common on newer products, I would agree they're desirable features to have, but they really are in a totally different category than the videography features the Solo has - smart shots, easing, free-look when reflying a cable, etc. In the vast majority of situations, it's far easier for me to manually avoid obstacles than it is to totally smoothly transition framing from one shot to the next, and be able to do it repeatedly.

To use the ever popular car analogy, it would be like saying Tesla's autopilots in their cars have surpassed what an old pickup is capable of. Well, yea, if you're only talking about automation. If you want to haul 2 tons of gravel, the pickup is going to win every time, autopilot be damned.

I think people overlook what the Solo is/was. It was first and foremost, a platform for capturing high quality video clips - of which the actual framing and moves are key. The newer products are more cutting edge drones that can also capture high quality video. Each puts a different priority on given features making them better or worse in X vs. Y and vice versa.

Personally, I would still take the Solo over any other product today.

mihamil writes:
.............Spares for the exact hardware used will still eventually run out, so inevitably the solo in it's exact form will become extinct like any other piece of hardware..............
----------------------
Not sure why you have to be such a debbie downer.

Not trying to be a debbie downer. The question was related to seeing the brains of the solo being put into DIY drones. That is inevitable, but the open solo project now means that we don't have to abandon the platform and buy another commercial product where we are at the whim of the manufacturer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig