Open Solo and Solex Question

Reaction score
Hello,

I just ordered my very first drone and have been researching for a while now to eliminate rookie mistakes but I'm a little puzzled about Open Solo and the Solex app.

If I understand it currently I take out my drone and the first thing I have to do when my 3DR Solo arrives is install Open Solo on the drone- and use the Solex app instead of solo app to have a better flying experience?

Regards

No. You need to pretend Open Solo doesn't exist at first. Follow all the instructions that come with the Solo and fly it for a while. This is not something a first timer should be doing with a new in box solo they've never even used.

I see, okay good to know.
I thought the Open Solo would only make things better so thought it would be a good thing to do. How long should I practice flying until I should use Open Solo?
Btw, you mean I should practice with the Solo App, or Solex? (Or does Solex only work on Open Solo firmware)

Open Solo is indeed better. So is Solex. But you need to learn how to use this thing before you worry about upgrades

Reactions: Maddog
Purchase a cheap toy quad like a Syma or Cheerson and practice flying with it. Learn all the different orientations.

Open Solo and Solex are great but don't make things more complicated at first. Use the stock Solo app along with the stock Solo props and learn to hover in fly mode. I do recommend changing the antennas on the transmitter out and the GPS sooner than later but you should be fine for your initial flights with the stock equipment.

Set button A to fly manual, it is important you learn to fly Solo in the manual mode if you ever lose GPS assistance. Practice practice practice. Fly Solo in manual mode and Fly mode then when you are comfortable you can move on to different apps or equipment.

Thanks for the tips guys!

I just bought a Syma X5C to practice with.

Last edited:
I'm new here, be nice to the new guy
I just bought a 3dr solo drone with revision a GPS and it works great. I lock on 10 satellites. why do I need to upgrade the GPS?

I'm new here, be nice to the new guy
I just bought a 3dr solo drone with revision a GPS and it works great. I lock on 10 satellites. why do I need to upgrade the GPS?
Why you hijack my thread? lol
I think if it works great then you don't have to worry, if you have GPS problems, then you should look into it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M