Not reconnecting after being back in range...

Actually standing position does make a difference, especially for the FPVLR. Pole antennas output the radio signal in roughly a donut shape with the antenna as the axis of the donut hole. This is the case with the Solo leg antennas and the stock controller antennas. That means the "donut" halo is out, and a bit angled from each leg on the Solo. That is why they recommend having the antennas facing down and at a slight angle on the controller, roughly parralelling the angle of the Solo legs.
If you are under the Solo The "donuts" do not overlap as well.

The FPVLR atenna reshapes the halo, and roughly "moves" half the signal to one side (in the direction off the coils) giving it more power on one side, but also making it more directional, as a tradeoff. In essence, a narrower beam. Works great al long as you are pointing in the same general direction as the Solo, which people do anyway. .

In any case, due to the positioning of the Solo antennas, standing underneath the Solo is the worst place you can be for radio signal, though normally not an issue becaue you are typically also close when under it.

Copy that...

btw, where is a good guide on how to do the Wi-Fi mod? I really want to try it but I am afraid to screw something up. Can I connect with mission planner first, backup the params and then "restore" them, IF something goes wrong?

thanks.

Copy that...

btw, where is a good guide on how to do the Wi-Fi mod? I really want to try it but I am afraid to screw something up. Can I connect with mission planner first, backup the params and then "restore" them, IF something goes wrong?

thanks.
The wifi mod isn't changing params, it's changing a text file, so you can make changes and reverse them changing simple text values.

I should add if Solo loses the connection for whatever reason the Wi-Fi does take an fairly long time to acquire again, I'm hoping this improves in a future firmware.

The wifi mod isn't changing params, it's changing a text file, so you can make changes and reverse them changing simple text values.

I should add if Solo loses the connection for whatever reason the Wi-Fi does take an fairly long time to acquire again, I'm hoping this improves in a future firmware.
Good to know. That means I should be able to simply copy and paste the text file to my desktop, in case I need it again...

Thanks

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Hi,

I went for a short test flight yesterday, trying out a new lens for my GoPro 4. At some point I lost connection and the Solo went into RTL. What I usually do is, wait until the Solo is really close to where I can see it, and then switch to FLY again. However, this time the Solo and transmitter would not reconnect again?! I never had this happen before and I am wondering if others experienced the same thing...?

Thanks.
I had the same thing happen to me 2 days ago. I was flying in a wide open park. No other wifi signals anywhere near me. I lost contact just a couple hundred feet out, maybe a hundred feet AGL. It initiated a RTL. I kept waiting for it to reconnect but it never would. I was not standing under the RTL. Once it autolanded and shut down, I couldn't get it to reconnect without a full reboot of solo + controller. It flew ok after that.

Same here. Solo was out about 150 feet and about 75 feet up. I was in the 40s or 50s DVI range. I have a DDS morning antenna and everything was working as it should until the radio indicated no communication. It did it's RTL and ended up in the lake about 15 feet out. It would not reestablish communication.I think it's done. Not happy.

I had this happen as well, RTH and landed at my feet without incident. After 30 minutes I still had the 'Waiting on Solo'. Had to re-pair the Solo to the controller. Only response I got from 3DR support is that I could be flying when it's too hot outside which makes absolutely no sense.

Sasquatch Labs had posted the changelogs for most of the firmware updates, i recall seeing that this had become an issue and it requires rebooting of the controller. It was something they were asking their testers to log and report. So send a ticket. it should reconnect if youre standing there even after an RTL. If not Its a bug...

Thanks for all the input everyone. I decided to go ahead and change the Hostapd.conf file... using this tool right here:

Solo Tweaker

Doesn't get any easier than that!

Thanks,

KMD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado