Not reconnecting after being back in range...

Reaction score
Hi,

I went for a short test flight yesterday, trying out a new lens for my GoPro 4. At some point I lost connection and the Solo went into RTL. What I usually do is, wait until the Solo is really close to where I can see it, and then switch to FLY again. However, this time the Solo and transmitter would not reconnect again?! I never had this happen before and I am wondering if others experienced the same thing...?

Thanks.

Hi,

I went for a short test flight yesterday, trying out a new lens for my GoPro 4. At some point I lost connection and the Solo went into RTL. What I usually do is, wait until the Solo is really close to where I can see it, and then switch to FLY again. However, this time the Solo and transmitter would not reconnect again?! I never had this happen before and I am wondering if others experienced the same thing...?

Thanks.
Will it connect now? Is the controller saying Waiting On Solo?

Did you have any control for landing it or did it rth and auto land?

Good day! I had the same thing happen to me. I sent in my flight logs and this was my response from 3DR

Manuel (3drobotics)

Aug 18, 2:17 PM

Hello Ronald,

I have analyzed the logs and the disconnection was due to WiFi interference, the RSSI of the controller goes down to -75 dBi and then the Return Home mode is triggered. This is a normal behavior for when you have such a WiFi crowded area.
The Solo went home after losing connection but because of the position of the antennas, the WiFi interference and the Solo being right above the controller, this is why you couldn't regain control of the Solo. I have experienced such behavior.

I would recommend you to be standing away from home position so when something similar happens you can point the controller at the Solo, this way the connection could be regained more easily.
Also, please read the information in the next links for a better understanding of the places where we recommend flying and the position the antennas should have:
Preflight Checklist | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology
Best Practices | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology

Have a great day.

Best regards,
Manuel Mora
[Technical Support Engineer]

Good day! I had the same thing happen to me. I sent in my flight logs and this was my response from 3DR

Manuel (3drobotics)

Aug 18, 2:17 PM

Hello Ronald,

I have analyzed the logs and the disconnection was due to WiFi interference, the RSSI of the controller goes down to -75 dBi and then the Return Home mode is triggered. This is a normal behavior for when you have such a WiFi crowded area.
The Solo went home after losing connection but because of the position of the antennas, the WiFi interference and the Solo being right above the controller, this is why you couldn't regain control of the Solo. I have experienced such behavior.

I would recommend you to be standing away from home position so when something similar happens you can point the controller at the Solo, this way the connection could be regained more easily.
Also, please read the information in the next links for a better understanding of the places where we recommend flying and the position the antennas should have:
Preflight Checklist | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology
Best Practices | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology

Have a great day.

Best regards,
Manuel Mora
[Technical Support Engineer]
Hi,

Thanks for the input. I don't get it though... Why would it make a difference where I am standing at, if I point the controller towards the Solo anyway!? And I did.

Anyhow, this was the first time it happened. I flew once after the incident and everything worked fine. Probably some sort of brain fart, ha ha.

Thanks.

I have had same issue a few times. Most the time I regained connectivity even though it did not say so but twice it would not. Out of those two times restarting the controller fixed it but made me nervous to do it. This was on the second version of firmware so can't say if later versions fixed anything. Not a good feeling. Save your logs for analysis with mission planner.

In the past there were a few users having problems with losing connection at relatively short distances and was told to recalibrate their sticks. To me I don't understand how that would have an affect but it fixed their problem

Attachments

• Solo guide to stick cal(Mac).pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • Solo guide to stick cal(Windows).pdf
    328.3 KB · Views: 6
I have had same issue a few times. Most the time I regained connectivity even though it did not say so but twice it would not. Out of those two times restarting the controller fixed it but made me nervous to do it. This was on the second version of firmware so can't say if later versions fixed anything. Not a good feeling. Save your logs for analysis with mission planner.
I thought about restarting the controller as well, but since I was so close, I knew it will take way longer to reboot the Artoo than to let it land.
In the past there were a few users having problems with losing connection at relatively short distances and was told to recalibrate their sticks. To me I don't understand how that would have an affect but it fixed their problem
Well, I never had this issue before. Ever. My connection is pretty solid and I have to really push it for it to get lost. Having said that, I will test fly a few more times and see what happens...

Thanks for the input guys.

Hi,

Thanks.

I had that problem once when flying my new FPVLR for the first time..flew out about 1400 feet out..lost connection RTL..then regain signal connection back when solo was about 600 feet still RTL then lost it again around 580 feet still RTL and never got it back till it was basically over my head ?? So I was kinda baffled why it had a hard time connecting to the solo again? So I thought it might of been my new FPVLR entanna that I just purchased ..! But when moving to another area the next day and flying over the weeks to come..the problem never happened again!!
So I'm just writing it off as a glitchy day .. The Solo probably just didint like the environment I was in!

I had that problem once when flying my new FPVLR for the first time..flew out about 1400 feet out..lost connection RTL..then regain signal connection back when solo was about 600 feet still RTL then lost it again around 580 feet still RTL and never got it back till it was basically over my head ?? So I was kinda baffled why it had a hard time connecting to the solo again? So I thought it might of been my new FPVLR entanna that I just purchased ..! But when moving to another area the next day and flying over the weeks to come..the problem never happened again!!
So I'm just writing it off as a glitchy day .. The Solo probably just didint like the environment I was in!
Interesting... Well, I feel the same way. Never had this problem in many, many flights, so it must have been a glitch... Even though I flew quite often at the same spot. Anyhow, I got the info I needed. Others went through somewhat the same, so I consider this subject as resolved. [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

Thanks a lot...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Interesting... Well, I feel the same way. Never had this problem in many, many flights, so it must have been a glitch... Even though I flew quite often at the same spot. Anyhow, I got the info I needed. Others went through somewhat the same, so I consider this subject as resolved. [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

Thanks a lot...

Your welcome Kmd.. Just a little update to! I did go back to the spot

Thanks a lot...

Your Very welcom Kmd..!

Just a little updated that I wanted to add also..I went back to the same spot a couple of weeks latter where I had my problem ..and flew my Stock and my FPVLR antenna and the Solo few just fine.. Im finding out more and more that what works today in an area may not work so well tomorrow ..some times there a lot of factors that come into play that is weather related.. Wind..humidity cloud coverage wifi congested and so on that the Solo will act differently to !! Iv notice I can fly in an Area and get more then a 600 feet distance...then go back the next day in the same area and only get 300 feet..!! So when you experience something like that .. I don't think the Solo is the problem ..it's that your environment has changed ..weather or wifi congested or..!

Just sharing what I've been experiencing ..I hope it helps!

Fly Smart
Fly Safe
Fly 3DR

Copy that! Thanks again...

p.s. how do oyu like the FPVLR antennas after you had it for a while?

Your welcome Kmd.. Just a little update to! I did go back to the spot

Your Very welcom Kmd..!

Just a little updated that I wanted to add also..I went back to the same spot a couple of weeks latter where I had my problem ..and flew my Stock and my FPVLR antenna and the Solo few just fine.. Im finding out more and more that what works today in an area may not work so well tomorrow ..some times there a lot of factors that come into play that is weather related.. Wind..humidity cloud coverage wifi congested and so on that the Solo will act differently to !! Iv notice I can fly in an Area and get more then a 600 feet distance...then go back the next day in the same area and only get 300 feet..!! So when you experience something like that .. I don't think the Solo is the problem ..it's that your environment has changed ..weather or wifi congested or..!

Just sharing what I've been experiencing ..I hope it helps!

Fly Smart
Fly Safe
Fly 3DR

I had the same issue recently on the new firmware. It rtl'ed when I lost controller wifi comms at a fair distance. said waiting for solo, I was clearly pointed at drone that was not above my head with amped fpvlr setup. It would not regain comms until it was way way closer. Never had the issue before.

Hadn't thought of wifi congestion but that could easily be it. Another long flight immediately prior. Similar area, no issues. I was definetky above more houses though when I had the issue. Might be time for me to try the channel mod.

There were no cloud changes between the two flights 15min apart, and humidity was 95pc as its been all week in Hawaii, other flights with no issues. Ugggh. So I'm thinking more likely wifi interference

I would add two things.

WiFi Analyser is a great app to understand your WiFi environment dynamically. It has answered many questions for me when I see mysteries like this. The other thing is that as the Solo flys to another place, it will encounter "other" interference.

Update: The hostapd.conf mod also REALLY helps in congested environments...

Last edited:
Copy that! Thanks again...

p.s. how do oyu like the FPVLR antennas after you had it for a while?

Iv had some pretty good results with my FPVLR..im still trying to get use to them... Actually starting to have a relationship with them ..lol
They act a lot different than your stock antenna.. being the FPVLR are Derectional entenna ..I find the best results to get the most distance out of them is to have totally line of sight between the controller and the Solo with absolutely no obstructions ..always pointing dereclly at the Solo..then take her for a nice long distance cruise..!
This is where the relationship comes in ..as the Solo is flying farther away from me and I have the Solo out there pretty far..the more I'm finding my self adjusting my hands and pointing my FPVLR dereclly in line of sight!!
The FPVLR are very sensitive and not very forgiving ..the more the Solo get farther away.. The more derect line of sight your gonna need!! Basically the way they were designed !!
If you just move your controller just 10 or 20Deg ether left or right or up or down and breaking that line of sight..you will lose signal strength pretty fast ..So I'm always staring at my signal strength indicator on my controller and adjusting my arms with the controller accordingly to help me derect the FPVLR back dead nuts in that line of sight and try best to your ability to keep it there !!
So it does take some getting use to them.. But I'm very happy with them.. Iv had some great results with them when I want to play with Distance..! But my Stock Entannas are what I use most of the time .. because I don't need to fly out that far for the shots I want to take ..and the stock antenna work amazingly well ! But when you come across an area that is pretty flat land for miles with no obstructions and you want to have fun...put your FPVLR on...and let Her RIPP !!

So my experience for great results with the FPVLR
Flat Land
No conjested Wifi
No Abstuction
Perfect Weather Condition
Good posture
And A Steady Hand

Great results

Fly Safe

And Have Fun

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I don't get it though... Why would it make a difference where I am standing at, if I point the controller towards the Solo anyway!? And I did.

Anyhow, this was the first time it happened. I flew once after the incident and everything worked fine. Probably some sort of brain fart, ha ha.

Thanks.

I agree with you standing position should not make a difference. Plus the Solo flew back and was in front of me during the flight back to the RTH spot. I only had this happen once, but rather odd the 3DR response. But I guess they are the experts!! LOL

I agree with you standing position should not make a difference. Plus the Solo flew back and was in front of me during the flight back to the RTH spot. I only had this happen once, but rather odd the 3DR response. But I guess they are the experts!! LOL
Actually standing position does make a difference, especially for the FPVLR. Pole antennas output the radio signal in roughly a donut shape with the antenna as the axis of the donut hole. This is the case with the Solo leg antennas and the stock controller antennas. That means the "donut" halo is out, and a bit angled from each leg on the Solo. That is why they recommend having the antennas facing down and at a slight angle on the controller, roughly parralelling the angle of the Solo legs.
If you are under the Solo The "donuts" do not overlap as well.

The FPVLR atenna reshapes the halo, and roughly "moves" half the signal to one side (in the direction off the coils) giving it more power on one side, but also making it more directional, as a tradeoff. In essence, a narrower beam. Works great al long as you are pointing in the same general direction as the Solo, which people do anyway. .

In any case, due to the positioning of the Solo antennas, standing underneath the Solo is the worst place you can be for radio signal, though normally not an issue becaue you are typically also close when under it.

Last edited:
I had the same issue recently on the new firmware. It rtl'ed when I lost controller wifi comms at a fair distance. said waiting for solo, I was clearly pointed at drone that was not above my head with amped fpvlr setup. It would not regain comms until it was way way closer. Never had the issue before.

Hadn't thought of wifi congestion but that could easily be it. Another long flight immediately prior. Similar area, no issues. I was definetky above more houses though when I had the issue. Might be time for me to try the channel mod.

There were no cloud changes between the two flights 15min apart, and humidity was 95pc as its been all week in Hawaii, other flights with no issues. Ugggh. So I'm thinking more likely wifi interference
Thanks for the input...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado