No Live Feed?

Reaction score
Do you know why I wouldn't have live feed? Not sure if I am doing something wrong or not.

Thanks everyone!

Hi Luis,
It could be several things, from a connector that is not fully seated to rebooting your tablet. If you search the site for "no video" you will see several threads with various possible solutions. Some have had luck with a particular order of starting things up that seems to work. I just start the tablet from a cold boot each time and it works.

Another thing to try is to reset the GoPro to factory, and make sure it has the latest updates. At least one person recently ended up having issues with the GoPro settings, that a reset would fix.

If you have a mini HDMI cable (to standard HDMI) you can also hook up the GoPro to a TV with HDMI to determine if the source of the problem is the Solo/app side or the GoPro side.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes :)

I bet money you broke a pin on your cable I did and had to replace

I bet money you broke a pin on your cable I did and had to replace
Yeeks. Let's hope not. That sounds like a pain... Did you send it in? Or get a cable and replace it yourself?

I had problems early on until I went to the "hard boot" method and it has been fine since.

Someone had this issue last week and it turned out they had their GoPro set to PAL. It should be NTSC

I have not once been able to get a live feed to work. I checked my GoPro's output to
a TV via mini HDMI to HDMI cable. Worked great. Made sure the GoPro was set to NTSC, medium view, 60P. Started everything up in the sequence that is recommended. Still just a blank screen. Restarted iPhone. Still blank. Deleted the Solo app and downloaded it again. Still blank. Took the GoPro out of the mount and left it 'free' just to make absolutely certain the mini HDMI plug was seated fully. Still nothing. Have not once got a single glimpse of live view. Restarted Solo, controller, and iPhone. Nothing. 'Recalibrated' the sensors on Solo. Nothing. So I contacted 3DR. They had me open up the Solo and check the HDMI plug inside. That was pretty hard to do...not the taking it apart, but the 'board' inside fits very tightly and it's tough to get one edge of it up to check underneath for the other end of the HDMI plug. Finally they had me send in the Solo and they mailed me a new one. I just got the new one a couple days ago, and same freaking result with it. I'm about ready to just send it back and ask for a refund for it and my gimbal which is on order, because if I can't actually see the live view to fly, it's not of much use to me. Extremely frustrating. It's a shame too, because it is very easy to fly, I've never flown one of
these things before and the Solo was very stable and easy to control. Just tough when you can't
see anything on your live view.

I have not once been able to get a live feed to work. I checked my GoPro's output to
a TV via mini HDMI to HDMI cable. Worked great. Made sure the GoPro was set to NTSC, medium view, 60P. Started everything up in the sequence that is recommended. Still just a blank screen. Restarted iPhone. Still blank. Deleted the Solo app and downloaded it again. Still blank. Took the GoPro out of the mount and left it 'free' just to make absolutely certain the mini HDMI plug was seated fully. Still nothing. Have not once got a single glimpse of live view. Restarted Solo, controller, and iPhone. Nothing. 'Recalibrated' the sensors on Solo. Nothing. So I contacted 3DR. They had me open up the Solo and check the HDMI plug inside. That was pretty hard to do...not the taking it apart, but the 'board' inside fits very tightly and it's tough to get one edge of it up to check underneath for the other end of the HDMI plug. Finally they had me send in the Solo and they mailed me a new one. I just got the new one a couple days ago, and same freaking result with it. I'm about ready to just send it back and ask for a refund for it and my gimbal which is on order, because if I can't actually see the live view to fly, it's not of much use to me. Extremely frustrating. It's a shame too, because it is very easy to fly, I've never flown one of
these things before and the Solo was very stable and easy to control. Just tough when you can't
Sorry for your frustration. Stuff like that can be maddening. You actually have made progress though. It sounds like you know it isn't the GoPro.

Just a thought. Have you tried uninstalling the app, rebooting (to clear the cache) and only then reinstalling?

Also, do you have another tablet/phone? Android? Maybe even one that you can borrow for a few hours? That might rule out (or in) the phone itself.

Just thinking out loud.

Sorry for your frustration. Stuff like that can be maddening. You actually have made progress though. It sounds like you know it isn't the GoPro.

Just a thought. Have you tried uninstalling the app, rebooting (to clear the cache) and only then reinstalling?

Also, do you have another tablet/phone? Android? Maybe even one that you can borrow for a few hours? That might rule out (or in) the phone itself.

Just thinking out loud.
Yup, I tried uninstalling the app, rebooting and reinstalling. Still nothing.
There are 3 iPads in my house and none of them are correct for the
Solo app (it will only let you download it if it works with the particular
model of iPhone or iPad you have). One older iPhone which also will
not work with the app. I am currently reinstalling my GoPro's updated
firmware just to make sure that isn't it either. Totally running out of ideas.
I checked with them and I have a iPhone and GoPro which 'should' work.
It just doesn't. And I really don't know why, and neither does tech support.
And trust me, I do NOT want to return it, because I've been waiting quite some
time for it. I think it just goes to show that when you are an 'early adopter' you
get burned sometimes......which is why I usually am not an 'early adopter'. In
fact this is a first for me. I'm sure 3DR will eventually sort out all the problems
people are having. I hope for their sake it isn't too late and doesn't ruin their
rep, because what they are trying to do is good, and I support them. Not trying
to be a 'downer' it's just frustrating to go over and over all the 'simple' stuff that
any brainless idiot would do with tech support.
'Try restarting the Solo'
Um....really you think I didn't try that already?

'Try restarting the controller too'
C'mon now!

'Try unpluging the GoPro and then plugging in back in'
Starting to beat my head against the wall......

Last edited:
I checked with them and I have a iPhone and GoPro which 'should' work.
It just doesn't. And I really don't know why, and neither does tech support.
And trust me, I do NOT want to return it, because I've been waiting quite some
time for it. I think it just goes to show that when you are an 'early adopter' you
get burned sometimes......which is why I usually am not an 'early adopter'. In
fact this is a first for me. I'm sure 3DR will eventually sort out all the problems
people are having. I hope for their sake it isn't too late and doesn't ruin their
rep, because what they are trying to do is good, and I support them. Not trying
to be a 'downer' it's just frustrating to go over and over all the 'simple' stuff that
any brainless idiot would do with tech support.
'Try restarting the Solo'
Um....really you think I didn't try that already?

'Try restarting the controller too'
C'mon now!

'Try unpluging the GoPro and then plugging in back in'
Starting to beat my head against the wall......
Can you borrow an android Or newer IOS device for an hour? It would be good to rule out the phone. In theory it is possible that is it.

Can you borrow an android Or newer IOS device for an hour? It would be good to rule out the phone. In theory it is possible that is it.
I'm trying, I'm trying! I just have to get someone I know who will actually part with
their phone. Do you have any idea how attached people these days are
to their phones? Then of course, I have to get them to let me download
an app to their phone....which despite my claims that I will immediately delete
it, seems to suddenly make people suspicious....LOL

I'm trying, I'm trying! I just have to get someone I know who will actually part with
their phone. Do you have any idea how attached people these days are
to their phones? Then of course, I have to get them to let me download
an app to their phone....which despite my claims that I will immediately delete
it, seems to suddenly make people suspicious....LOL
Lol.. Spyware :)

If all else fails, you could try out a tablet from some place like Best Buy, and if you don't like it, take it back :)

Who knows, you may fall in love with the bigger screen and talk yourself into keeping it... Especially if it works. I got my Nexus 7 for under $200.

PS: If you do buy one, make sure it has GPS. Nexus 7's do :)

Last edited:
I would try unplugging the cable and plugging it back when both are on. I did that and it works perfectly for me. Sometimes I get this and this is my go-to method in order to make it work properly.

Hey Gabe...have you tried hooking up a different go pro to your solo..like a friends Gopro to your solo and see if he's or hers would work ?

I haven't been able to....I've been trying to get ahold of both another GoPro and another
phone to try to eliminate those as variables but haven't been able to do either one yet.
All I know is the GoPro works via HDMI on a TV. Everything about the app works on
my iPhone except the live view.

I haven't been able to....I've been trying to get ahold of both another GoPro and another
phone to try to eliminate those as variables but haven't been able to do either one yet.
All I know is the GoPro works via HDMI on a TV. Everything about the app works on
my iPhone except the live view.
Ok Gabe.. Keep us posted on your progress

I had the same problem found the cable had a cut in from rubbing against the body and cut the wire. Went to a local computer shop and got a replacement. the cut happened again so i am going to replace it again and reinforce the spot where it is rubbing.

Another thing to try... Cycle thru video settings on the GoPro while everything is on and connected. 1080p -> 720p -> 1080p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44