No GPS data match when shooting manual

Reaction score
Yes... another Solo - GPS Question ...

I flew a mission manually and shot pictures in single mode - manually.

Fly - Frame - Shoot - Repeat

How do these geotag matching programs match geotags with the images? I am guessing the software looks at the time the image was shot, and then looks to the logs to see what the coordinates were at that exact time.

I downloaded my logs and according to Mission Planner, and Pix4D there is no matching GPS data in the file.

Message: "Photo GOPR1905 NOT PROCESSED. No GPS match in the log file. Please take care"

For reference I have shot in continuous burst mode and been able to extract the GPS data and geotag successfully. I'm matching about 80% of the tags with images if I shoot in continuous, however this method results in many, many, many, many-many photos! :eek: (Had to get one emoji in)

I reviewed the flight log on Mission planner and I can clearly see my flight path. GPS mean was 13 ... I started out at 8 and had as many as 14 locked during the flight.

Any ideas?

OK ... I'm making myself crazy...

I just ran the same pattern at 150 feet AGL ... 80 feet higher than the last flight. I triggered the camera manually and ended up with 100% matched GEO tags.

GPS accuracy?

Biggest thing is to sync the GP time to the tablet before the flight. I find the GP clock is not real accurate and will get further and further off as time goes by. The closer the 2 clocks are, the better MP is able to match the photos. Are using an offset in MP when you tag, or leaving it at 0?

mission planner has proved to not be the most accurate because it only uses the timestamp from the gopro, which could be off. there is an offset, but sometimes it still doesn't help with accuracy.

a more accurate method is to use a gpx file (exported from mission planner) with a geo tagging app like geosetter. the way geosetter works is you match one known picture with a known point from the gpx file and geosetter will extrapolate the gps location of all of the pictures based on the points in the gpx file because it knows the exact coords of the single picture. there are other options as well.

I've used Mission Planner's feature that estimates offset ... I take a few samples from the results and average. It seems its hit or miss.

I looked at geosetter and noted it was last updated in 2011? In a perfect world I would only need to access one or two programs to get the job done ... I'll experiment with geosetter this weekend and see how it goes.

Results are impressive when this all works ... great tool this Solo!

A few months ago I could geotag my images using MP,
now the method fails me.

When I open MP (Ctrl F) and import the Tlog file and point to associated photos,
I get the messages 'Photo GOPR1777 NOT PROCESSED. No GPS match in the log file. Please take care.'
I fly with 3DR Solo.

I am now forced to use the new GoPoro App 'Capture App'; not sure if this is the weak link.
Before flight in Tower, I sync my GoPro with my Tablet (Samsung Galaxy S2).
In Capture App/Settings, I hit the Date and Time button. I get the big tick for 'good'.

I suspect one of my Settings in Tower is not recording GPS locations in the log files?,
or something else?

Is it possible for me to open the log file for GPS investigation?
I have opened a Tlog file in notepad, but all appears encrypted.

As alternative, I aim to try Geosetter (as Franknitty69 suggested).

Any help with TLogs using MP will help.

mission planner uses the timestamp of the camera trigger messages in the log to match the timestamp in the image exif. when mp, sees a photo and can't find the corresponding cam trigger you get that error. thats why there is an option to offset the time to account for time differences. usually this happens when there is a discrepancy between the timestamp of the camera and the flight controller. solo gets its time from gps. it has code to update the camera time, but i'm not sure if its in use or not.

geosetter uses a similar procedure but it also allows you to manually point specific images to specific camera trigger messages.

Reactions: Jonty
I had a closer look at my problem, after consulting education from franknitty69.

I think I have resolved my problem.
Given that I often travel international, and do not always have wifi, my tablet time was incorrect.
Although my GoPro was synced with tablet time (of incorrect time), only GPS timestamp from my controller was correct.

Thanks for the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44