Nikon J5 mirrorless camera on 3Dr Solo - ch7 shutter

Really nice work!

May I ask for the settings to trigger the camera? Or is there a "howto trigger no Gopro cameras for dummies" somewhere?
I have recently wiped the dust off my Solo and installed Open Solo 4 and Solex. Now I want to use my Sony RX100II on the Solo for manually photos and for aerial mapping. The mechanical parts like soldering cables to board and connect to camera seems pretty straight forward , but how to get the trigger signal from Solex to Solo?
Short answer is to wire into one of ch 6/7/8.

Long answer is to learn python and utilize the USB connection on the gimbal connector

Reactions: perkele
Really nice work!

May I ask for the settings to trigger the camera? Or is there a "howto trigger no Gopro cameras for dummies" somewhere?
I have recently wiped the dust off my Solo and installed Open Solo 4 and Solex. Now I want to use my Sony RX100II on the Solo for manually photos and for aerial mapping. The mechanical parts like soldering cables to board and connect to camera seems pretty straight forward , but how to get the trigger signal from Solex to Solo?

I have my trigger wired to RC7 and use the pause button on the controller as a shutter button, long press to activate, short press to reset. You need to be on at least Open Solo 3 for this to work.

This is not the only way or maybe the best way but it works for me ?

I have my trigger wired to RC7 and use the pause button on the controller as a shutter button, long press to activate, short press to reset. You need to be on at least Open Solo 3 for this to work.

This is not the only way or maybe the best way but it works for me ?
new Sony gimbal thread begging for your help here: Sony Mirrorless Gimbal for SOLO Build Project

Reactions: makatanav
3dr_solo_26-5-20.jpg

Latest flying image of my bird. Took this a couple of days ago. This is how my solo looks these days. No servo on the shutter anymore, Nikon Australia modified a couple of J5 cameras for me so I have wiring for the shutter which connect to a PWM style switch. Shutter control is by using the pause button on the controller. The tilt servo is controlled by the tilt paddle on the controller. For anyone interested, this is my set up:

3Dr Solo running open solo 4
MrO GPS unit
Master airscrew props
3D printed folding leg extensions
Custom built camera mount , with Hitech digital servo for tilt
Nikon J5 mirrorless camera, 10mm f.28 lens
Batteries are rebuilt using the battery mod and Tatu 5200MaH packs
Battery cover 3D printed using @jonbrotherton design

I have 2 of these setups and very happy with them, I am a stills photographer and don't shoot much video, if I do, I use the standard 3DR gimbal with a GoPro black. There are plenty of other ways to mount cameras, control cameras etc ,but this is the way I did it and happy with the result.

Plenty of information earlier in this thread on how it has evolved, Thank you to all those on this forum that helped out with answers and advice I needed to achieve this set up. It might not be the latest and greatest drone but I am happy with it and the photographic results. see my images in the 3DR No GoPro thread or on my insta page @rob_power_photography

...Custom built camera mount , with Hitech digital servo for tilt

Rob: thanks for leading on this, much appreciated. If I could, what is the model number on that servo? I am beginning to experiment with them for my Sony.

Jim

Rob: thanks for leading on this, much appreciated. If I could, what is the model number on that servo? I am beginning to experiment with them for my Sony.

Jim
@jxo it is a Hitec HS-7955TG I wouldn't use it, its an overkill and a bit heavy at 65 grams, but we had them at work and a programmer tool so I went with these. There are lighter better options. One day I may change it, but at this stage its doing the job

Nice work Rob! I hope those shots of the military jets were not taken with your Solo! ?

@jimloss what cable where you using to triger your Sony camera?
I Bought such one for experimental purpouses from Flytron (its based on 3.5mm jack, not showed in picture)

SONY MULTI-TERMINAL RC SHUTTER FOR A7 A7R NEX-3NL A5000 A6000 A58 A3000 HX300 RX100II QX1​

sonyA6000-500x500.jpg 2.JPGdownload.png

But the thing is - it's not working like mine for Ricoh GR (servo7_function =1 on CH7).
So want to find out what settings need to change in MP it to work

I don't currently use a trigger. I purchased a Time-Lapse app that is loaded on my camera and can adjust the interval for photos. I then delete what I don't want.

I did buy a special USB connector to interface with the Sony, but haven't wired or configured it yet - been OK with the Time-Lapse app.

Just went through my notes:
The connector that I bought is like this: micro USB multiport compatible connector - 10 + 5 pin (mobilexcopter.com) ( I found mine on eBay)
Camera pinouts: www.doc-diy.net :: camera remote release pinout list (doc-diy.net)
Youtube video: 1607368927497.png

I don't currently use a trigger. I purchased a Time-Lapse app that is loaded on my camera and can adjust the interval for photos. I then delete what I don't want.

I did buy a special USB connector to interface with the Sony, but haven't wired or configured it yet - been OK with the Time-Lapse app.

Just went through my notes:
The connector that I bought is like this: micro USB multiport compatible connector - 10 + 5 pin (mobilexcopter.com) ( I found mine on eBay)
Camera pinouts: www.doc-diy.net :: camera remote release pinout list (doc-diy.net)
Youtube video: View attachment 11572
thanks for a fast reply ?
But this looks like is for Ardupilot autopilots from MP, not for camera triger from CH7 on Pause button

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc