Nikon J5 mirrorless camera on 3Dr Solo - ch7 shutter

I did "fight" the stability and twitching issues during the testing and design of my mount. It seamed that any flex in the mount or off-center weight caused issues. I don't experience anything major with my latest mount.

I did too, the top part of my mount just had a little too much flex, seemed more noticeable on open solo but that could of been weather conditions etc, made a 3mm carbon fibre mount and problem solved.

I did too, the top part of my mount just had a little too much flex, seemed more noticeable on open solo but that could of been weather conditions etc, made a 3mm carbon fibre mount and problem solved.
Plastic GoPro mounts had too much flex and couldn't position the camera properly. Carbon fiber was definitely the way to go. I used 2mm - still plenty strong with reinforced corners epoxied and screwed together with plastic screws.

I kinda skimmed through this thread but didn't see a clear answer...

Are you guys getting the HDMI video broadcast back through the radio connection? It's just like flying a GoPro save for no configurability of the camera's exposure settings or shutter control?

What's the landscape for camera SDKs for control and config over the air? Though I am running Open Solo, I admit to not following the dev updates. Is incorporating support for various manufacturers' cameras for which SDKs exist something that is possible? This use of a little servo to push the shutter button seems...forgive me...hokey. Is your guys' use of the Ricoh because they have an SDK?

I've dreamed of being able to control my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema (original) remotely for this. It has such an amazing look to it.

I use Nikon J5 mirrorless cameras, no IR remote or connection for remote shutter so the "hokey" servo solution works fine. Nikon are going to modify a J5 so I can try a electronic solution for the shutter, probably with one of the adapters like @makatanav uses on his Ricoh.

I choose my platform as I have always used Nikon equpiment and had a J5 to experiment with (now have 3 of them) and I like the 10mm f2.8 lens, just my thoughts and solution

Reactions: makatanav
I just unpacked and tested (on the ground) the VP Systems remote devices for the Sony. So far so good. Full control of the zoom, manual focus, AutoFocus, ISO, Av and shutter speed. Pretty cool. Being able to change Aperture size in the air is a game changer for me. I believe profiles can also be added to access other Sony menu items-- like shooting and focus modes. This may be preferable than trying to integrate with the Solo controller and App. I will post separately once I get in a few flights. Hopefully now it all won't shake off from the drone seizures I was recently experiencing.
It would be nice if you could throw in some pictures, how it looks, how it works, price wise etc ?

will do. So far so good with the new camera remote. It is a little pricier than I had hoped-- around $250 for all of it. Compared to $40 for a well working RF remote triggering device.

Question about getting power to this device. am attaching a photo of a small gimbal cable breakout board into which the unused gimbal cable is plugged. The board has 8 header pins. The CamRemote device has a standard 2 wire/pin power connector. Am presently using a 9v battery with a battery cable going to this connector (red connector on cable in the photo plugs into the CamRemote). Am looking to confirm which 2 pins I should use on the board to pull power from the Solo and send to the CamRemote. Any suggestions?

One suggestion was to connect to the USB_GND and VBAT pins on the board. Does that sound right?

Attachments

• solo breakout board.jpg
    solo breakout board.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
This CamRemote is working great. Connecting on the 5v and GND pin next to it on the gimbal board. Full exposure control in the air is a great add. Power zoom and focus as well. Range is well beyond what I will ever need. Flew to legal altitude limits and it worked perfectly. Will post a separate thread shortly.

Last edited:
This CamRemote is working great. Connecting on the 5v and GND pin next to it on the gimbal board. Full exposure control in the air is a great add. Power zoom and focus as well. Range is well beyond what I will ever need. Flew to legal altitude limits and it worked perfectly. Will post a separate thread shortly.
can you show how the "CamRemote" looks like and the trigger ( as I understand, it is not triggered from 3DR remote)
Is that from here - VP-Systems - Remote Controlled Video & Photography ?

Pix Posted in the Solo Discussion forum. Very, Very pleased with how this works. Now I have to figure out what tuning is needed to get these Solos to stop shaking so much when they are hovering in place. BTW, is that considered “Loiter” mode in drone parlance?

Pix Posted in the Solo Discussion forum. Very, Very pleased with how this works. Now I have to figure out what tuning is needed to get these Solos to stop shaking so much when they are hovering in place. BTW, is that considered “Loiter” mode in drone parlance?
Yes, in general parlance that would be considered 'loiter'.

Is there a way you could get video up on Youtube or similar of the shaking you're describing? My brain is mulling over a few ideas and actually seeing it might be helpful.....

Yes, in general parlance that would be considered 'loiter'.

Is there a way you could get video up on Youtube or similar of the shaking you're describing? My brain is mulling over a few ideas and actually seeing it might be helpful.....
Will do and will post some video of the shaking. Am digging a little into parameter options, PID tuning, AutoTuning etc... It would be great to devise a “Tripod” flight mode or profile that would optimize all of this for still image shooting. Get the Solo in place, put in tripod mode to stabilize but still with yaw control. Shoot, return to Fly mode to relocate to another shooting location... then back to tripod.

today got a battery upgrade
the conector is bigger than I tought, maybe will solder directly to BMS

View attachment 10476
@makatanav I soldered the the battery power leads direct to the board. I cut the balance plug off my old battery and soldered to the new battery ( cut off the new battery balance plug)

Have done 4 of them, all working fine

@makatanav I soldered the the battery power leads direct to the board. I cut the balance plug off my old battery and soldered to the new battery ( cut off the new battery balance plug)
Have done 4 of them, all working fine

good to hear
can you throw an image how it looks?
how about balacing the BMS (through Solex)?

Last edited:
good to hear
can you throw an image how it looks?
how about balacing the BMS (through Solex)?

@makatanav I don't use Solex to balance. I hook up a 12volt globe, turn on the battery, let it run down until it switches off and then after 6 hours charge using the Solo charger. Once fully charged I let sit for 6 hours minimum and then discharge using the globe method. It might not be 100% correct but works for me, getting 13-15min out of the new packs landing with 25% left with my solo at 1940 grams weight.

battery_pack3.jpg

battery_pack2.jpg

@Robpower nice - interesting approach ?
due rainy days, will try to solder the battery in the evenings, and have test flight on weekend

16 & 14 stands for? :)

all my batteries are out off juice, happy that Bashing arrived - waited 3 weeks
autumn arriving, need atleast one to fly :)
that lamp your using is ~50w ?

Reactions: Robpower
the servo arrived, but it didn't work with Solo, so I rebuilded the frame with that I liked the best and also the frame type I liked the best from previous builds
carbon fiber, alloy corners, glued with 2 component epoxy
this one is solid like a tank, and attached "perfectly" - no moves and vobles
P91102-16001.jpgP91102-1600.jpg
P91102_1600.jpgP91102-173049.jpg
P91102-173114.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela