Nikon J5 mirrorless camera on 3Dr Solo - ch7 shutter

1. all the dampening I made, was tottal waste of time and effort :D more jittery than befora (lesson learned, will return to dirrect mount).
2. shame one me, Ricoh GR intervalometer function NOT working, when hdmi cable connected :( - will need to put back trigger on ch7 and try to solve my issue.
3. per flight time, on todays test -7 degrees out, aprohimatterly 6-7minutes on air, when landed 50% battery left.

Summary:
No dampening needed. Closer the camera to drone - better.
Will rebuild the frame with servo on side.
Ordered 3DR Solo Fixed Camera Mount Attachment Plate from "UNBELIEVABLE SOLO PARTS LIQUIDATION!!!!" so will build final mount on that when arrived

1. all the dampening I made, was tottal waste of time and effort :D more jittery than befora (lesson learned, will return to dirrect mount).
2. shame one me, Ricoh GR intervalometer function NOT working, when hdmi cable connected :( - will need to put back trigger on ch7 and try to solve my issue.
3. per flight time, on todays test -7 degrees out, aprohimatterly 6-7minutes on air, when landed 50% battery left.

Summary:
No dampening needed. Closer the camera to drone - better.
Will rebuild the frame with servo on side.
Ordered 3DR Solo Fixed Camera Mount Attachment Plate from "UNBELIEVABLE SOLO PARTS LIQUIDATION!!!!" so will build final mount on that when arrived

1. Yes, more dampening seems worse, prob ok forvideo, maybe.

2. Did you try the pause button, long press, short press, without servo connected to see if the fault is still there .

3. Thats cold

I hope you can solve these, I am enjoying my set up, when the weather is ok for flying, good luck

2. Did you try the pause button, long press, short press, without servo connected to see if the fault is still there .
Yes, no problem at all - hovering still.
Will try to resolder the wire and other mods, will inform on progres ;)

Just a thought, my shutter servo is analogue, with standard servo settings, only change is 0 to a 1 on RC7 in mission planner.
will check in tower app, maybe had something changed accidentally

seems ok:
S90107-221746.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Robpower
I was on standart Solo software :D
then yesterday I found this thread - Need help triggering a standard servo.
pretty the same problems I have. asked if had found the resolution and the answer was:
"my recollection is that a software update to Open Solo would be required"

Then checked about Open Solo and there black on white written:
Controller: CH7 on/off improvement: Long hold pause button to turn CH7 option on. Short hold pause to turn CH7 option off. This removes the conflict with the pause function, which still uses the normal single click.
Rewind has been removed. The 3DR Solo app still has the option to turn it on/off, which also never worked right, and they will not do anything. This was a feature 3DR was in the middle of developing when they closed shop.

Bought Solex, upgraded 3DR Solo and Controler to Open Solo, and I already can smell, that my desease will be removed like with an arm :D
6day will be a next test day

In two evenings this was built:
final_gimbal.jpg

I hope, this will be the last and final itteration :)

Reactions: Robpower
I was on standart Solo software :D
then yesterday I found this thread - Need help triggering a standard servo.
pretty the same problems I have. asked if had found the resolution and the answer was:
"my recollection is that a software update to Open Solo would be required"

Then checked about Open Solo and there black on white written:
Controller: CH7 on/off improvement: Long hold pause button to turn CH7 option on. Short hold pause to turn CH7 option off. This removes the conflict with the pause function, which still uses the normal single click.
Rewind has been removed. The 3DR Solo app still has the option to turn it on/off, which also never worked right, and they will not do anything. This was a feature 3DR was in the middle of developing when they closed shop.

Bought Solex, upgraded 3DR Solo and Controler to Open Solo, and I already can smell, that my desease will be removed like with an arm :D
6day will be a next test day

In two evenings this was built:
View attachment 9860

I hope, this will be the last and final itteration :)

I thought you were on Open Solo, my apologies. I honestly thought ch7 never worked on the standard software. I went to open solo for that reason, same thing, bought Solex and did it that way, nice and easy.

That should fix your problems now. Nice mount, similar to my version.:)

Good luck with the next test flights, I am sure it will all go well and the mount/setup will be final. it is agood feeling when you get to the end of a project and it all comes together. Mine has been a 12 month project started with a simple mount.

My next project is batteries:D I have ordered a lipo pack and am keen to get it working with the information from this site

Mine project is on 6th month :)

My next project is batteries:D I have ordered a lipo pack and am keen to get it working with the information from this site
sounds interisting, have seen and red also about batteries. for now have 3 orginals, but will need to think something in future

today was a test day & everythings finally is wotking fine...yuhuu
the weather was typical Latvian gray, -1.5 C, cloudy, small rain/snow
tried aperature priority, f/4.0 (sweet spot for coner sharpness), auto ISO with min shutter speed 1/250
1/250 sec at f/4.0, ISO 100
UP002249_1600.jpg
UP002249_1800_sh.jpgUP002252-1600.jpgUP002252-1800_sh.jpg

thanks for help and time provided for me ;)

today was a test day & everythings finally is wotking fine...yuhuu
the weather was typical Latvian gray, -1.5 C, cloudy, small rain/snow
tried aperature priority, f/4.0 (sweet spot for coner sharpness), auto ISO with min shutter speed 1/250
1/250 sec at f/4.0, ISO 100
View attachment 9863
View attachment 9864View attachment 9865View attachment 9866

thanks for help and time provided for me ;)

Congratulations on a successful flight and test. Great to the see your project come together and working as it should.

Glad to offer my help and time, no problem at all, I like to pass on anything I learn and help others, onward and upwards with your solo photography :)

Now, enjoy have you have created :)

Reactions: DJMc
Hi,
Yesterday was on flight, everything ok for Ch7 etc, but now have another problem.
After mowing to Open Solo and Solex, my fligh distance has heavely decreased, already at 200m away i got -73db and red warning, before I could fly even 650m away with stock antenas? Are there some parameters to change, or should I contact @Pedals2Paddles

Hi,
Yesterday was on flight, everything ok for Ch7 etc, but now have another problem.
After mowing to Open Solo and Solex, my fligh distance has heavely decreased, already at 200m away i got -73db and red warning, before I could fly even 650m away with stock antenas? Are there some parameters to change, or should I contact @Pedals2Paddles

I have not seen that problem at all (3 of my 4 drones are open solo 3) the only thing I came across once I started using Solex was a fence setting, where it would only fly out so far and then come home, I think it was something I set by accident, didn't seem to affect the range once I turned it off. I am away from my drones this week on deployment but could take a look at my solex settings when i get back if you can't get a soloution.

For anyone interested I have finally made up a mount and mounted a small servo on top of my Nikon J5 to activate the shutter using the pause button on the controller. This bird has open solo and I finally soldered another servo wire in and set up ch7, long press to activate shutter and short pause to reset. May not look pretty and I am only new to 3D printing but it works. i was using the invertolometer in the camera to take a photo every 15 seconds, but now having shutter control is much better.

Thanks to Pedals2Paddles for his work on open solo 3, without this I would not be able to achieve shutter control (not available on standard solo software. Total weight of this setup is 1.9kg, flies for 15 minutes returning home with 20% on battery.

mDSC_5608.jpg

mDSC_5610.jpg

3dr_solo_new_mount_1.jpg
Very impressive work to all who were involved, Nikon is always my go to camera for 50 years now (yea I am old)

I have not seen that problem at all (3 of my 4 drones are open solo 3) the only thing I came across once I started using Solex was a fence setting, where it would only fly out so far and then come home, I think it was something I set by accident, didn't seem to affect the range once I turned it off. I am away from my drones this week on deployment but could take a look at my solex settings when i get back if you can't get a soloution.

Ok thanks.
will check through setiings, maybe something enabled what shouldn't be

hi
how your flights going? :)
again one question from me :)
What setting do you have here in Solex:
S90127-152318_a.jpg

hi
how your flights going? :)
again one question from me :)
What setting do you have here in Solex:
View attachment 9917

makatanav

Haven't been flying at all, very hot windy weather here in Australia, so I have been grounded. I will take a look at my settings when I get back home on Sunday.

This week I am doing a training/licence course and exams to obtain my Remote Pilot License though CASA, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority here in Australia. It is a full on course, a lot of the theory is from the light aircraft pilots course.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc