New Travel Restrictions for Batteries

I actually just traveled with my 3DR solo in the back pack.. I had 4 batteries and had no problem on any of the 3 times going threw TSA. I had 2 batteries in the cargo below in my luggage. I had no issues.

I actually just traveled with my 3DR solo in the back pack.. I had 4 batteries and had no problem on any of the 3 times going threw TSA. I had 2 batteries in the cargo below in my luggage. I had no issues.

Bear in mind, that this is now an international law and they'll be scanning for them. I fly with my UAV's regularly, and with the Cinestar going in the cargo area, batteries are now carried on. I don't need them ripping into my cases. If it's anything like skydiving gear, they'll dig and destroy if they see anything on the scan.

Note that officially batteries in carry ons must not be fully charged (and with a Solo its damn easy to see if they are or not) so I don't recharge after my last flight before travelling - just in case some knowledgeable chap in security asks....I seem to recall the charge level being less than 30%.....

Note that officially batteries in carry ons must not be fully charged (and with a Solo its damn easy to see if they are or not) so I don't recharge after my last flight before travelling - just in case some knowledgeable chap in security asks....I seem to recall the charge level being less than 30%.....

Per the document link, you're correct; 30% of capacity.

The level of scrutiny for this new rules will depend on what airline/s and domestic or international and whos is behind the desk.
Many staff behind the check-in desk are not very well trained, but some are.
Their priorities for now and has been so is always terrorist look out.
Some countries/airport do not even asked me to remove my belt for metal detection and X-ray.
Some countries/airport even asked me to remove my shoes for X-ray.
Probably USA can be the worst place for checks, if international travel. They have all the reasons to be worried.
I was in Hawaii once 2014, departing....and got to enter that circular body x-ray scanner ...LOL.

I had once in Barcelona, departing, last year. My small powerbank of 15,000mAh is required to be placed in luggage and not hand carry. That is odd and my first ever :)

The level of scrutiny for this new rules will depend on what airline/s and domestic or international and whos is behind the desk.
Many staff behind the check-in desk are not very well trained, but some are.
Their priorities for now and has been so is always terrorist look out.
Some countries/airport do not even asked me to remove my belt for metal detection and X-ray.
Some countries/airport even asked me to remove my shoes for X-ray.
Probably USA can be the worst place for checks, if international travel. They have all the reasons to be worried.
I was in Hawaii once 2014, departing....and got to enter that circular body x-ray scanner ...LOL.

I had once in Barcelona, departing, last year. My small powerbank of 15,000mAh is required to be placed in luggage and not hand carry. That is odd and my first ever :)

I hope you're right. Given that this is not a continental requirement, but rather one from the ACIO and ANC (Global standard) it is a world-wide requirement for any airline member of IATA (no major airline in the world isn't). Therefore, we really don't know what the standard of enforcement may or may not be. TSA for example, is not a global standard, nor is security inspection of any kind a global standard. I don't know what the procedural changes will be (if any) at the security line, but absolutely certain the cargo scanners will be sniffing for LIPO where they likely have not before.

I guess we can thank the folk with the dodgy Chinese roller wheel things!

This Lithium Ion thingy is a blessing but also a potential disaster.
It has so much power density, that is why it can be dangerous when things go south.

If we recall the history, it was laptop as the first big trigger bell, in 2006
What causes laptop batteries to overheat?
HP Recalls Laptops Over Faulty Batteries
Even in 2014 we have Sony laptop battery recall
Sony Vaio Laptop Recall: Everything You Need To Know

Even Boeing 787 has battery Lit Ion issue
Boeing 787 Dreamliner battery problems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Nikon D-800 at one time had battery recall notice too.

Many other explosion cases also come from cheap unknown brand lit-ion sold for for LED lights community.
Try googling "battery explosion candlelight forum"

Electronic-smoke battery also has many horror stories
Pictured: Family's devastated home after e-cigarette exploded while it was charging leaving family lucky to be alive and neighbour's cat dead

I now, bought a hermatic type 1kg , a superb halon replacement fire fighting agent which will explode and kill fire at 68C hermatic burst bulb temperature. I collect high power torchlights land version and underwater version, and biggest battery is 100 watts at 36V. Its actually a 18650 x so many pcs as a battery pack. Anytime a lit-ion is more than 1 cell and needing extra circuit for charging/discharging and parallel function, more things can go wrong. What I plan to do is make a steel explosion proof container and place battery there while its being charged or when during storage. I read some divers already had near misses due to their torchlight batteries exploded during charging. Looking again at the potential danger, I must make my steel box soon :)

A personal friend almost had his hotel room burnt down when a 3xxxx type single cell lit ion battery exploded. I forgot what they call the battery, its like almost zinc type D cell size. These sizes come from China and brand is not famous like Panasonic.

When I was still using Panasonic 18650 cell it was all good.
However as torchlight power goes up, their battery dimension goes up to.
Branded batteries I know of are usually sticking to 18650 and no bigger size.

This is my 1kg AF11e halon replacement agent and this agent is awesome !!!
a8.JPG

Safe charging guys..........

For those in Australia or travelling to Australia I recently flew with Solo and four batteries on Jetstar from Gold Coast to Avalon return.

Solo backpack and four batteries in carry on. Did get asked to get the batteries out at the security scan at Gold Coast but nothing in Avalon.

Of the five security people who came over for a look at what I was carrying, only one of them knew what the rules were about lithium batteries. The supervisior didn't even have a clue!

And for those travelling on Jetstar A320s, the Solo backpack fits perfectly in the overhead locker.

Last edited:
I had staff at Heathrow check my batteries back in September (fully charged) and they determined that they were not subject to the rules in place (not positive if they were inspecting for the same rule being discussed on this thread) due to the wattage I believe. That having been said they were being transported as carry-on, maybe it would have been an issue had the bag been checked.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/lithium-battery-update.pdf

Overall, this new directive merely stamps "official" on what has been policy for the past year.
No LIPO in cargo; carry-on only.

Folks just a heads up for any travelling into and then out of NZ. The Aucland security are rigidly enforcing the less than 30% charge for carry on batteries. The will check scan the bag, ask for the aircraft to be taken out and for you to prove the charge level

What's the best for LiPo battery life/longeivty when accounting air pressure changes on an airplane? I know the rule is 30% or less...is that optimal? or is closer to 40% or 50?

I'm gonna be flying very frequently next month and would be a hassle to discharge 5 batteries in a short amount of time at each destination.

What's the best for LiPo battery life/longeivty when accounting air pressure changes on an airplane? I know the rule is 30% or less...is that optimal? or is closer to 40% or 50?

I'm gonna be flying very frequently next month and would be a hassle to discharge 5 batteries in a short amount of time at each destination.
30%-40%. Perhaps don't carry 5?

bump, anyone?
Bump maybe not if you agree to leave the battery behind.........this rule is now being enforced in NZ and they ask you to PROVE the battery is discharged - no idea how you do that if there are no indicators on it......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado