New regs regarding Lithium-Ion batteries

Reaction score
Website
dattagroover.com
Looks like there are some new regulations going into place April 1st (and no, it's not a joke):
http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/lithium-battery-update.pdf

In reading this document, I'm not clear if this prohibits L-Ion batteries carried on. WHat I do find especially interesting is that it specifically says "Batteries packed IN equipment" or "Batteries packed WITH equipment."

That is significant as I always thought you could never put spare L-Ion batteries in checked luggage, but form the above document, it would appear that you can, IF it is packed with your Solo.

Any thoughts?

Looks like there are some new regulations going into place April 1st (and no, it's not a joke):
http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/lithium-battery-update.pdf

In reading this document, I'm not clear if this prohibits L-Ion batteries carried on. WHat I do find especially interesting is that it specifically says "Batteries packed IN equipment" or "Batteries packed WITH equipment."

That is significant as I always thought you could never put spare L-Ion batteries in checked luggage, but form the above document, it would appear that you can, IF it is packed with your Solo.

Any thoughts?
I "think":confused: they are saying the batteries can't be shipped by themselves in the cargo hold. i.e- the manufacturer of Solo batteries can't ship a bunch of them by themselves from China to the US.

If the battery is packed with the device it powers, it's ok. So shipping a drone with the included battery is ok.

BUT- it means hoverboards can still be shipped with the included battery and I thought these new regulations came about because of the battery fire issues with hoverboards.:(

Confusing...:eek:

Hopefully somebody is developing a large aircraft container that could be filled with lipo's and would extinguish/ contain a fire.

I flew a couple of weeks back and the regulation for checked baggage is that a battery can be checked if it is connected or inside the device. Not a spare. Spares are only carry on.

I'm guessing the old rules and thought with one battery be connected / in the device was really designed for things like cameras where the battery is being carried inside the device.

Maybe the new rules are now designed to encompass those stupid hover boards (get a skateboard kids) and UAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I flew a couple of weeks back and the regulation for checked baggage is that a battery can be checked if it is connected or inside the device. Not a spare. Spares are only carry on.

I'm guessing the old rules and thought with one battery be connected / in the device was really designed for things like cameras where the battery is being carried inside the device.

Maybe the new rules are now designed to encompass those stupid hover boards (get a skateboard kids) and UAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't know. I might keep carrying-on my extra Solo batteries just in case - especiially since I'm not present when they check my baggage. HOWEVER, by the new rules that may not be allowed anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44