NEW to Drones - own a Solo and parts to upgrade - BUT dont have a clue how.

Reaction score
Hello eveyone, Im Elbert and i own a solo - bought brand new years ago and flew it maybe 3 times. Its been in the attic since. I bought some upgrades as i wanted to to learn the hard way. Im working the kinks out of update since 3DR doesnt support anything anymore. So im here trying to learn and maybe share my trials and errors.

I’m in the same boat I’m basically sitting on a paper weight until I’m able to get the software updated.

KEEP THE 3DR 1st. STEP DUMP THE 3DR SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD SOLEX APP(GOOGLE PLAY+ PAY FOR IT) AND DON'T LOOK BACK, GO TO YOUTUBE SOLEX AND GEOFENCE, SOLEX AND MISSIONS, YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY

OpenSolo now supports direct upgrade for all Solos without the 3dr upgrade.
Thats what I did. Bought Solex, downloaded both upgrades, connected to solo and cnotroller, upgrade!
bam, OpenSolo4.
Just make sure to read the wiki. Really, read the wiki.

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat I’m basically sitting on a paper weight until I’m able to get the software updated.
any luck... I was extremely frustrated but after all sort so of trials I finally got it working. I had factory reset my controller and it would NOT update unless done using the 3DR app. For that I have to get a hold of an old phone. I used a samsung s7 edge. THat worked like a charm. I then switched to the solex app and everything is working good. Hope to get it up an running!

To get started with your re-discovered solo:

0. Ignore other docs you may find, they are likely obsolete. Use steps 1, 2, & 3 below.

1. You will want a device (cellphone or tablet) to work with your copter and controller that is either ios-based or android-based. If you use android get the 'solex' app, or if you use IOS get the 'sidepilot' app. You can skip getting/using this device and just use an ssh/terminal connection for updating, but it's much easier to use the device to upgrade solo and controller.

2. Go skim the first page of the OpenSolo Wiki as this outlines the current solo ecosystem.

3. On the above page, specifically read and perform the install/upgrade steps here.

J

I take advantage of the topic to make a simple consultation that now, reading all your answers seems obvious to me.
I appreciate your contributions.

For some years I have used my SOLO with factory parameters and equipment, no upgrades.

I have only used the old Tower and Missionmaker later, to program flights in linear transects.

I have these old tablets with Android 6 that no longer retain enough battery charge and I see myself in the need to upgrade them, and with this the absence of my usual applications.

Now I clearly understand that it is convenient to use SOLEX, SIDEPILOT, or even QGROUND CONTROL, to perform these tasks, and that this leads to the update of OPENSOLO 4, but I wonder if:
  1. Can my original SOLO equipment respond to these upgrades?
  2. Is it necessary to just follow instructions like the ones Jwest kindly describes?

Thank you for your attention, and I apologize in advance for such a tremendous out-of-date.
Regards!

For those with a 3DR Solo and stock firmware. Don't let is set as a paper weight. If your scared then just post and someone like me might get another heck of a deal. I bought mine on a whim for $300 with a backpack, 4 batteries and some other goodies because some did not want and was afraid to change the firmware.

I spent a couple of hours reading and learning what was needed and then took the jump. Bought and loaded Solex and then upgraded my controller and the drone with OpenSolo and I have to say I'm amazed. It's awesome. Xmas is quickly approaching and I might need some parts for spares.

If again your on the fence and afraid, don't be. Just do the upgrade and love the 3DR. Otherwise, sell it so others can enjoy it.

Btw, I've only owned mine for about a month now and even in 30 degree weather I'll take it for a spin and just keep the altitude low so as not to freeze the baby. :) :)

Reactions: Wetstone
OpenSolo now supports direct upgrade for all Solos without the 3dr upgrade.
Thats what I did. Bought Solex, downloaded both upgrades, connected to solo and cnotroller, upgrade!
bam, OpenSolo4.
Just make sure to read the wiki. Really, read the wiki.
Was it hard to do that? Cause that's what I need to do to mine. I sure would appreciate it if you could help me out with this matter, thanks,!

Was it hard to do that? Cause that's what I need to do to mine. I sure would appreciate it if you could help me out with this matter, thanks,!
I just don't want to mess up the install....

no, not really. just follow the instructions. if you mess up, I think you can un-mess, if you havent upgraded the partition. (If you don't know, you probably haven't).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc