New Solo Case from GPC Just came in..

I was just thinking how could I add some foam on the bottom in the shape of the Solo and a few spots for the batteries and controller as well. It's not really WIDE enough to get a foam insert for all of the parts to fit in there snug, but you can get most of the stuff in there I would imagine.

I am just SO not handy, so I would be willing to pay someone to make one to fit it all.

Dungin: Wanna take on the challenge?

Ryan G

i have a 4 year old and a 1 year old... so the answer is NO haha :)
i may just buy that $46 case and cut that foam up

GPC told me they would sell the "foam only" insert for Solo for $75, but you have to have had previously purchased a hard case. My thought was to demote the Phantom 1 to a loose backpack, and change out the insert to custom fit for Solo.

my response to that would have been F off... you either want my 75$ or you dont... your GP on those foam inserts is massive...
I dont get companies that turn away business of any kind

I have a friend that owns FastCap. They have this stuff called Kaizen foam. Very cool. If I was going to build a case I would use it.

I have done a few of my drawers in my shop with it. Its layered so you cut around your item and pull it out in layers.

kaizen (Large).jpg

Now that looks like something.

$75 for the foam and it probably won't fit the $46 case anyway.

RRMCCABE: I am thinking this might be something I can use with the $30 soft case. How do I get my hands on some?

I might just try this for fun. I am already going to buy the soft case cooler anyway. I would probably need something a 2" + thick for the bottom of that cooler, maybe 3" or a couple stacked on top of each other.

I might check out the hard case too, but of course it's a lot heavier.

Ryan G

Is it just me, or does $200+ for a plastic case and some foam seem a little too expensive?

All "Pelican" case are expensive. They last forever and they float. So that is what they charge. The foam insert is pretty sweet and I am sure it took a decent amount of design work on their end to develop. That being said, the $46 one looks like a bargain, but you have to do everything yourself.

For NON handy people like me, the $200 option is a maybe. With more disposable income it would be a yes. For HANDY people (even slightly handy people) it probably isn't.

For $46 and the foam stuff Rich posted I might TRY anyway. I might even buy that foam stuff for the soft case too and get both. I like the hard case, but it's a lot heavier than the soft case, and I get cup holders with the soft case. :)

Ryan G

Maybe he would be interested in making these for those hard cases and shipping those. :) I would be first in line.

Ryan G
thanks for the link.

Maybe he would be interested in making these for those hard cases and shipping those. :) I would be first in line.

Ryan G
thanks for the link.

I don't know. He is a Phantom guy :)

Yeah.. I would imagine you could get some foam inserts for the cooler thing too. I am probably going to get one just because it will sub as a cooler too.

I just need something for now, as I am just putting it on the floor in my car for transport. I WISH the solo backpack allowed for keeping the props on, but it doesn't look like it.

Ryan G
Ryan;
If you were asking about my pick and pluck case, that is still on my "to do" list.
As for a 'floor of the car' case - get one of those plastic storage tubs for $7 or so. Looks ugly, but holds everything easily. I have nice cases for every quad I own, except the 3DR Iris+ with its long spindly legs. I hauled it all over in the cheap storage tub with bits of foam stuffed here and there to keep this from rubbing on that. Worked great and cost pennies (relative to other cases). But I finally found an Iris+ backpack on Ebay so no more clear plastic tub. I'm still using the black pasteboard box the Solo came in to haul it. I am going to coat that with a layer of Plasti Dip to reinforce it until more case options are available, or I get the other case plucked.

You can buy it here. The biggest battle that Paul has is it cost to ship. Doesn't weight anything but its bulky.

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/Kaizen-Foam-p13435.htm

This is Paul showing how it works.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Rich that is some cool stuff i like it... Good video, although it could have been about 14 seconds long :) haha

Good: Any chance you want to post a pic of the tubs? IF an WHEN you do that foam for the cooler I will pay you for another one. :) If you are interested that is.

Ryan G

I just got my GPC case in and have to say it was worth every penny! I work with abrasive waterjet cutters so I considered buying a Pelican case and doing the design/cutting the foam myself. Although I'm sure I could have created something very nice, the time/money spent doing so would have made the true cost of my case much more than the GPC.

CJU6-UNUsAAiRm6.jpg

Reactions: Scott
I just got my GPC case in and have to say it was worth every penny! I work with abrasive waterjet cutters so I considered buying a Pelican case and doing the design/cutting the foam myself. Although I'm sure I could have created something very nice, the time/money spent doing so would have made the true cost of my case much more than the GPC.

I agree, mine just came in yesterday and considering this case will protect an investment worth 10x it's price, it's worth the $200. It gives you the peace of mind that you can just throw it in the back of your car and not worry about it getting crushed by other bulky items. The starter case 3DR gave was good, but it definitely won't last.

I was just thinking how could I add some foam on the bottom in the shape of the Solo and a few spots for the batteries and controller as well. It's not really WIDE enough to get a foam insert for all of the parts to fit in there snug, but you can get most of the stuff in there I would imagine.

I am just SO not handy, so I would be willing to pay someone to make one to fit it all.

Dungin: Wanna take on the challenge?

Ryan G

I'm working on it myself. I'm just looking for the right backpack to use. I was trying to find something big yet stylish (for myself). I'll be using foam and cushion. I'll make it for 4 batteries, controller and iPad. I'll keep u posted

Would love to see it and would be interested in obtaining one myself. :)

Thanks
Ryan G

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig