New Pilot reporting for duty!

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new Pilot, just pulled the trigger on a huge bundle on Craigslist. Unopened Solo with backpack, 4 batteries, props, gimbal and all manner of other parts for $325. Not a scratch on it, super pumped.

This is my first "big boy" drone so I'm extremely excited to learn all about this thing and how it flies.

I look forward to more discussions in the future!

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Reactions: Fantasmoslam
Fantasmoslam,
Google 3DR Solo Manual-
PRINT TWO COPIES!!!!
And put one in whatever case you are carrying Solo in, it will come in handy.
The other copy- READ!!!!
You have the 3 axis gimbal, make sure you have leg extensions on Solo so there is clearance between gimbal and ground.
Go over to the school. No. Not that one!!! The one without trees!! And have yourself a blast!!! Charge all of your batteries, do not drain them under 25% and grab yourself a drink and snack. You are going to have a great time and you’re going to be amazed!

You got yourself a “ SMOKING DEAL !! “
You made a very wise investment!! So I can only assume you have done your homework!
Master Airscrew Props!! Go to www.masterairscrew- they are quieter, less expensive and come in four colors!
AND PROTECT YOUR GIMBAL. You should have a foam block holding it stabile when it’s not being used. Don’t get rid of it, it’s important.

It doesn't come with a camera, but I've heard tell that cheap action cams of a certain vatiety will work with it to provide a video feed as well as recording capabilities as long as you start recording from the cam first. I believe I saw it on Drone Worship on YouTube that certain janky action cams are actually really great.

Can anyone confirm?

Welcome to the group. My 2 cents...Fly safe, follow the regulations. Your number one obligation is to maintain a good reputation for all pilots of UAVs. Don't be the guy who posts a video of his craft at 5000'. I've seen this on DJI groups.

Reactions: Joe Horn
With four batteryo_O sweet mate I would check them battery but welcome best place for answer dealing with solo

Welcome to the group. My 2 cents...Fly safe, follow the regulations. Your number one obligation is to maintain a good reputation for all pilots of UAVs. Don't be the guy who posts a video of his craft at 5000'. I've seen this on DJI groups.

There's little concern of that since I can't get my Solo to go over 1000' without losing signal... Hahaha!

You got yourself a “ SMOKING DEAL !! “
You made a very wise investment!! So I can only assume you have done your homework!
Master Airscrew Props!! Go to www.masterairscrew- they are quieter, less expensive and come in four colors!
AND PROTECT YOUR GIMBAL. You should have a foam block holding it stabile when it’s not being used. Don’t get rid of it, it’s important.

There's a little 3D printed plastic bit that came with the Solo that holds the gimbal in place, so I think this is an upgrade from the foam, but yes, I certainly won't be taking any chances with this thing. I've seen the gimbals on ebay going for astoundingly high prices, so I'm gonna treasure this thing.

I was considering getting the camera mount and installing that for while I'm learning to fly this thing and "git gud".

You mention those props are quieter than the stock ones? How much quieter are we talking?

I love a lower price, but are the OEM props really that bad?

Cheers!

I'm not a risk taker and I'm taking this seriously. I'd like to learn as much I can about piloting these things so eventually I can start doing surveying.

A noticeable difference. Master Airscrew will have a sale on 4th of July- they almost always have a sale on holidays, usually 10% off. Always order two sets so you qualify for free shipping. The MAS props are $18 for a complete set, so they are cheaper than OEM- but they are a lot nicer. Give them a try, you won’t be sorry. And they come in four colors so you can customize your Solo.
GREEN, ORANGE, WHITE and BLACK.

I'm not a risk taker and I'm taking this seriously. I'd like to learn as much I can about piloting these things so eventually I can start doing surveying.

I find the more I fly, the more careful I have become. The more people around to watch the less I want to fly. These things are flying food processors not to mention the risk if it falls.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Well curiosity lures the spectators in. Solo is a cool drone and people are amazed at what it can do. Believe it or not- I have sold several of my spare Solos to those same spectators you are talking about.

There's little concern of that since I can't get my Solo to go over 1000' without losing signal... thanks.

That's about normal in an urban environment without mods. You will get much improved range away from town in open country. Trees are killers of 2.4Ghz link.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela