New Owner - Awesome! -Some videos also

Reaction score
The year waiting until my wife relented and let me get a Solo because it was $599 on Prime day was worth it. I got my Solo on Thursday. Friday night I charged everything, updated the controller, copter, and made sure the GoPro 3+ black worked and the gimbal. I checked everything on the Solo to make sure it was tight and in good shape for flying. I checked the balance of the props and they were good. I packed up for flights this morning.

So...I flew today and it was everything I hoped for.

Notes:
-- I forgot to take out the gimbal foam, but during preflight checks I caught it. I added some orange duct-tape to it to help me remember it in the future.
--Gimbal and camera worked great and footage was good. (I will share later)
-- The take off and land features worked great, however I can also take off and land manually, which I prefer. Solo recognizes when you land and shuts down motors. cool!
-- I tried out orbit, selfie, and cable cam and they worked well. How do I get to the start of cable cam?
-- After an orbit, I hit FLY to return to normal control and it decided to land! I pressed FLY another time but it didn't matter, it landed. (Did I hit HOME???) However, when Solo landed, motors shut down, and it said press FLY to start...the Solo did not respond to multiple tries at starting the motors even though the controller said everything was "good". The controller acted normal, but no response from Solo. I also noticed at the same time my phone had frozen as well. So i restarted Solo and it still didn't work. So then I powered down the Solo and the controller and did a hard restart on the phone. When I got everything going, I was ready to fly. I'm not sure what happened. It's just like every damn thing now-a-days...just restart it!
--I had my phone recording the video, as well as on the GoPro.
--I tested return to home several times and it worked great, but almost landed on my car because I didn't give my self enough distance from the car.
--When the battery got to or below 15%, it returned home automatically without problem.
--It would not start for another flight when the battery is low.
--I tested the 150 ft limit and it worked, the copter would not go higher, but allowed normal flight at that altitude.
--I never lost connection or gps. I went about 600 feet away.
--I was very happy after 3 batteries and ready for more.

-Tom

-- After an orbit, I hit FLY to return to normal control and it decided to land! I pressed FLY another time but it didn't matter, it landed. (Did I hit HOME???)

Perhaps you held down the FLY button longer than you intended? Pressing it briefly exits a smart shot, but holding it down for a few seconds initiates an automatic landing.
--I tested return to home several times and it worked great, but almost landed on my car because I didn't give my self enough distance from the car.

When Solo is landing itself, use the right stick to nudge its position as it's descending, in case it's not landing exactly where you want it to land.

Welcome to the club, have fun, and fly safe!

Reactions: 1tom2go
Welcom to the site, glad you had a great flight. I'm guessing your on an android , if so more than likely the reason for your issue mid flight was 3dr services went down cause your phone couldn't quite keep up. I use Ez package disabler pro for my s6 edge and since it's made my life with solo and android much easier by closing down all the bloat ware and anything else not needed for solo. Honestly unless I'm using android specific options I prefer using my iPhone 6 Plus for this very reason as well as the larger screen. Fly safe and have fun

Perhaps you held down the FLY button longer than you intended? Pressing it briefly exits a smart shot, but holding it down for a few seconds initiates an automatic landing.
When Solo is landing itself, use the right stick to nudge its position as it's descending, in case it's not landing exactly where you want it to land.
Welcome to the club, have fun, and fly safe!

Thanks!

Welcom to the site, glad you had a great flight. I'm guessing your on an android , if so more than likely the reason for your issue mid flight was 3dr services went down cause your phone couldn't quite keep up. I use Ez package disabler pro for my s6 edge and since it's made my life with solo and android much easier by closing down all the bloat ware and anything else not needed for solo. Honestly unless I'm using android specific options I prefer using my iPhone 6 Plus for this very reason as well as the larger screen. Fly safe and have fun

I was using my iPhone 6. Thanks!

Hm, yea I've occasionally had mine crash as well, really best we can do on iOS is try to be sure all is shut down before flight. Seems fairly few and far between for me at least, what's odd is last year when my app would crash it seemed to have little effect on flight and only list camera control, but more recently it at least seems that it does change flight characteristics a bit. Last this happened to me was a couple months back so could be remedied, but kinda scary when it happened.

Day 1 test video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Day 2 video:

More fun today at a water tank (Video below). I had only one problem. I lost a leg extension during flight and when I landed it did not like being unstable and took off again and re-landed a few feet away. weird, but no problem.

I sometime don't have a GoPro feed when starting up, but I found closing and restarting the Solo app fixes it.

More fun today at a water tank (Video below). I had only one problem. I lost a leg extension during flight and when I landed it did not like being unstable and took off again and re-landed a few feet away. weird, but no problem.
You can avoid the uneven landing issues by landing in manual mode.

I was in FLY mode and landed manually using the sticks, is that what you mean?
No, Manual mode is pre-setting it to either A or B buttons in the settings menu. As you get above the area you want to land, got to manual mode and ease it down. When the legs have touched ground lower the sticks completely and/or lower the left stick to the lower left corner.

No, Manual mode is pre-setting it to either A or B buttons in the settings menu. As you get above the area you want to land, got to manual mode and ease it down. When the legs have touched ground lower the sticks completely and/or lower the left stick to the lower left corner.

Cool, that sounds like a good plan. Do you also use this for other situations?

I am having a lot of fun flying and learning things. I have put 12 batteries through it now at about 15 minutes each = 3 hrs. I am working on a preflight list so I stop forgetting things!

Flight notes:
I keep testing it more and more, higher, further, faster, and it responds great. I lost GPS in flight for the first time yesterday, so I just crash landed it...JUST KIDDING...I used the stick thingy and kept flying in Manual mode. It got GPS lock in about 15 seconds and I didn't have the problem again.

I changed from video to photo mode (GoPro 3+ black) and it froze the GoPro. I had to land and pull the GoPro battery to restart it, and then it worked fine.

Some questions:
When I landed on the last battery, the battery just turned to 10%, it started beeping in a repeat sequence until I turned Solo off. I have never heard this before and I have had it down to 10% before. I did just update to 2.4 1-6 so maybe it's new. Is this a low battery alarm?

Can you fly beyond 10% in any mode or are you always forced to land?

What happens if someone calls me while flying? What happens if your flying and the app is lost or crashes?

Why does the app say I have 00:00:00 flight time?

Can you test the motors with out the props or is that a bad idea?

Thanks! -Tom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44