Need recomendations for video editing computer.

I'd like to offer a different perspective on the ability to edit 4K. New hardware is always fun to buy, but software is where the rubber meets the road. Adobe Premiere is making great strides in the NLE space and recently announced the ability to edit with proxy files. This allows you to edit with a low res copy of the footage (that takes much less processor power) then export the full 4K in the end.
One of the main reasons I am asking hardware is I can't view anything over 1080. Laptop limitations :( Desktop is dead, so I figure a ground up build.....

I'd like to offer a different perspective on the ability to edit 4K. New hardware is always fun to buy, but software is where the rubber meets the road. Adobe Premiere is making great strides in the NLE space and recently announced the ability to edit with proxy files. This allows you to edit with a low res copy of the footage (that takes much less processor power) then export the full 4K in the end.

This is not a new concept; proxies have been being used since the days of CMX. 15 years ago, I developed a tool called "GearShift" for those making the transition from SD to HD (newblue software purchased it from me), as the same transition from HD to UHD is identical today, to what shooters were doing back then.
The reason proxies are not common is because it's a PITA, and for color correction proxies are entirely useless. Fortunately today, instead of render farms and networked render nodes, we have GPU that makes the process pretty painless on the render side, and we now have CPU and GPU-based decoders that provide an excellent means of decoding all but the most painful resolution/codec combinations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44