Video Parameter Questions

Reaction score
I pretty understand the concepts of photography, but am getting in to the video world now, and am struggling with all the various settings for recording, export, and playback...and which software to use for adding music to videos, etc. I am only a hobbyist, so I am looking for easy to use, so I can play videos on my Win 7 PC. I have the following questions.

1 - FPS relates to how smooth movement in the video is...really has no effect on 'clarity' of video subject matter. For instance, if you are looking at a static (not moving) portion of the video...a setting of 30fps, 60fps, or 120fps wouldn't really make a visual difference. Is that correct?
2 - On the other hand, resolution has everything to do with clarity of video. For instance, if you are looking at a static (not moving) portion of the video...a setting of 1280x720 wouldn't look as good as 1920x1080. Is that correct?
3 - When all is said and done...ultimately, the settings for video EXPORT need to be set based on the device that the video will be played on. Is that correct?
4 - Now based on #3 above, what if you will play the video on phone, PC, TV, etc...all of which can have different playback capabilities...how do you decide on export settings?
5 - Video editing software: My needs are very minimal...easy of use, really just need to add music, maybe enhance color, eliminate vibration, etc...no production quality videos for me. I'm using "trial version" of Adobe Premiere Elements, Movavi Video Editor 14. I am leaning towards the Movavi because it seems simpler to use, and it's cheaper. Ideas on other software options?
6 - What is the difference between 60fps and 59.94fps...which should I use?

BTW I have been shooting video on the GoPro Hero4 Black at 2.7K @ 60fps. I figure I can always scale down, but you can't scale up.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

5. Have you tried the free GoPro editing software? Easy to use to get your feet wet, but not really powerful.
Export options usually depend on your software. Many have "pre-sets" for export to Facebook, YouTube, etc.

I have been using Cyberlink Power Director and it does what I need without being too complex for my tiny brain.o_O There are a ton of videos for it on YouTube.

Your other questions could fill a library with info. You might have better looking at dedicated websites. (Google them)

5 - from what I've read, the free GoPro editing software for Win7 is no longer supported by GoPro. But you can get an old version of GoPro "Quik" which is free editing software, but it requires you to create and login to a GoPro online account whenever you want to use the software...which is total BS. I really think I'm gonna settle in on the "Movavi" software. It seems really easy and is only $39.

1, 2, 3 - I have done testing and confirmed my understanding as shown above.

4, 6 - Still not sure about those...will google 6 and see what comes up.

Reactions: Maddog
1. As the Gopro can only output a bitrate of 60Mbit (with protune) it means that the higher the framerate, the most detail you loose, so film in the framerate that you want your final video to have (for cinematic videos 24FPS, for sports 50FPS)
2. You want to set the resolution the highest your camera can go.
3. You can certainly record a video at 50fps and edit it on your computer in a 24fps composition without a problem.
4. Encode in H.264 and then your video will be able to playback on most devices.
5. I'm honestly a huge fan of Adobe Premiere Pro, I don't think the learning curve is high for basic stuff.

Reactions: vsasolutions
1 - FPS stands for Frames per second. It only affects the "clarity" in fast moving scenes. However, should you wish to do slow motion playback, generally the higher the FPS the better. However in a static shot, you're better off using a lower FPS. For drone video footage, ideally you should shoot at 60fps to prevent a jello effect in your footage. With the Gopro the bitrate is limited, so shooting at 240FPS can actually make your footage look really crappy, soft and full of noise.

2 - Almost. 480 vs 720 vs 1080 vs 4k are all going to depend on what you're viewing your footage on. For instance on a 55" 1080P TV 1080P vs 480P, 1080 is going to look better. However 4K vs 1080P won't look any different as the tv in question only handles 1080P. Plus in a gopro setting, @4K your gopro black is only going to record at 30FPS. So it may be indeed better to shoot @ 1080P or 2.7k depending on your needs.

3 - Incorrect. Shooting @ 4K has it's drawbacks, but it does allow you to "crop" more in post production or to zoom in on features. It's true that all devices may not support 4K but unless you're specifically planning to output to a 4K monitor or TV, then you're best off encoding the final result in 1080P as it's widely supported.

4 - If you're making a video specific to a phone or tablet, then you need to get the phone or tablet specs to ensure the device can handle the video size and frame rate you're intending to export it to. However, if you're talking about uploading your footage to a service such as youtube, then you should still stick with 1080P as users can choose what resolution they can stream. There's no need for you to adjust anything.

5 - You should probably start off with the GoPro software (I still use Gopro studio on Win 7 and Win 10, although not a huge fan of quik at all). I also have played about with Nero as it's just a very simple interface, has some simple effects and it supports multiple monitors. You can always use trial versions of software to get the feel for it and see if it supports your needs.

Reactions: allen_993
Excellent responses...thanks very much to you all. I actually think I starting to get this stuff.:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc