Need help with Map Box download

Reaction score
I'm a newbie with Solo, just got a Galaxy Tab S2 (my first Android device ever) to use with the controller. I want to download satellite imagery of my neighborhood. I understand the download functionality has been removed for Google, and you have to switch to Map Box in the Solo app settings. But when I do that, then hit Fly Solo, and swipe in from the right (while of course connected to my home WiFi), all I see are streets (vs the now non-downloadable satellite imagery I see if I choose Google). I live out in the desert, I want to see my house and the hills and arroyos and such, to help me video the dogs and coyotes and topography, not streets a mile or two away. Am I doing something wrong? Does Map Box not provide satellite imagery? If it does, I can't see a menu to choose it anywhere.

I don't know anything about Mapbox so I googled it for more info.
I still don't understand it.:(

There are 2 videos on YT,1showing how to use Tower for automatic flights, the 2nd detailing how to set up a Mailbox account (Free) . You need special ID strings required in the Solo app in order to download your map. Search "Tower 3dr offline map". QUOTE="Charles Hertz, post: 43065, member: 3776"]I'm a newbie with Solo, just got a Galaxy Tab S2 (my first Android device ever) to use with the controller. I want to download satellite imagery of my neighborhood. I understand the download functionality has been removed for Google, and you have to switch to Map Box in the Solo app settings. But when I do that, then hit Fly Solo, and swipe in from the right (while of course connected to my home WiFi), all I see are streets (vs the now non-downloadable satellite imagery I see if I choose Google). I live out in the desert, I want to see my house and the hills and arroyos and such, to help me video the dogs and coyotes and topography, not streets a mile or two away. Am I doing something wrong? Does Map Box not provide satellite imagery? If it does, I can't see a menu to choose it anywhere.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem with the tutorial video is Mapbox may have changed their interface. I couldn't find "projects" to set one up. Once you've set up your account and try this link Mapbox and then the tutorial works. I now have the satellite maps.

Reactions: Maddog
You can download maps in Google maps. While you have WiFi connection, open Google maps, scroll to the area of the map you want to save, in the search bar, type
" ok maps ", you will be asked if you want to save, click OK.

Reactions: erikgraham
Hmm- I don't have any problem getting sat. maps with my Nexus 7.
I went out and set up an orbit smart shot- the maps came right up so I could set my center point.
I don't have any service with it- I just got it to use Tower.

You can download maps in Google maps. While you have WiFi connection, open Google maps, scroll to the area of the map you want to save, in the search bar, type
I tried this but am only able to get street maps, not satellite maps. Were you able to get the sat maps?

Hold on. Really? That's a pretty cool tip.

On my iPad, typing ok maps works fine, but on a iPad mini, which I use with Solo, nothing happens. Any idea why?

maps.jpg maps.jpg
I tried this but am only able to get street maps, not satellite maps. Were you able to get the sat maps?

On my Android device, there is a small box in the lower left corner of the map screen, that toggles from the street map to satellite map.

I have to do more research, but on the iPad Air 2 though I can download maps, I can't get view them. Instructions on the net say to go to My Places, but they aren't there. Under the "Offline Maps" tab, all you can do is Update or Delete. I also don't get how I'm supposed to login to my account to view My Places if I don't have network access. On the iPad mini, nothing works-not "ok maps" in the search bar nor is there a download option. All the examples I see don't apply to my mini. I also can't figure out how to show them in the Solo app on the iPad Air. If I zoom all the way out, I get a map of the US, but can only zoom in a small amount.
I'm sure I'm missing something, but I sure don't see what.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig