Need help with Here install

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. I apologize for having to ask for help, but I thought the the few threads and videos I could find here and other places would get me through the installation of a Here GNSS module onto a stock solo. I have made up the cable and temporarily mounted the unit and it powers up and goes into Magnetic Interference (flashing yellow twice). I was able to connect mission planner and stop the flashing yellow by disabling Compass 2 but frankly I'm afraid to go any further than that. I don't fully understand Mission Planner and am afraid that it will upload something that I don't mean to to do (firmware etc.) I have tried to find the dummie's guide to using mission planner with Solo but I don't think it's been written yet.

Again, I'm sorry to make a post like this, but I am in deep with these things and don't plan on quitting but I know how frustrating it is for highly skilled technical folks to fool around with noobs in the RC world and I have tried to stay out of everyone's hair since I have nothing meaningful to add. I appreciate the work you all do and I hope I can someday to be helpful somehow instead of a merely a nuisance.

There is a video that someone put up showing how to change the compass orientation to 0 from 38 but I don't even have the Advanced Parameters tab under Config/Tuning in Mission Planner.

And I thought I was getting ready for a Green Cube. Ha.

Thanks for any help, again if one is inclined.

Rob

Rob,
You don't need to use the compass in the Here GPS. You shouldn't have to make ANY changes to the Solo parameters for GPS functionality.
Did you even take it outside to see if it would get any GPS satellites?

Reactions: JBAlaska
When I installed my Here, I left the stock compass alone since it works great for me.
Remember the Stock Solo has two compasses (one in PH2 and one in the leg. I would not disable them.
107bdfc0248e3f66c51dc5e6b9d18182.jpg

Andrew, thanks for the help. Yes I got 18 sats quickly after disabling the compass. I took out the compass on the leg and used that wire to connect the here compass like speatuk did in his post on the subject.

Hmmm most people are killing off the leg compass. The here compass is up and away from interference

That's what I
Hmmm most people are killing off the leg compass. The here compass is up and away from interference

This is what I gathered from the thread I could find on the subject and why I attempted to do it like speatuk described.

Zee, have you by any chance altered compass orientation yet from 38 to 0?

If not you will get get magnetic interference as the compass will not relate to the onboard compass in the pixhawk

In Tower or mission planner look for compass_orient. It should be set to 38 if you haven't changed it.

Change the value to 0 (zero) then write parameters

Do a level and compass calibration you should then be good to go.

Do the compass calibration outside away from "everything"

Also then re-enable compass 2 "before" you do the calibrations.

Please don't fly it if you haven't altered the values especially as you have disabled the pixhawk compass. You will crash.

I'd propose the compass in the leg is already down and away from magnetic interference. If I connected the Here compass, I'd probably try and use it as a third source.

Well, I trashed the leg compass to use the cable to connect the here. Then today when I went out to test the magnetic interference came up again and I could only get rid by disabling the second compass. Not sure which one is actually running at this point but hey the Satellite Reception is great. Updated the firmware to 1.5.3 and the bird really seems to fly well. I am cautiously optimistic. Steve, I can't find the option 38 under compass_orient in mission planner but I used "none" and it seems like its ok. The log did show high compass readings in EKF for whatever that means.

Yeah that's correct. It's either 0 (zero) or none.

Second compass is in the pixhawk.

zee three ....did you get this resolved?....i am having a hard time getting past same situation

Yes, I did. It's been more than a minute so memory is slipping a bit. What are you having an issue with?

Zee, have you by any chance altered compass orientation yet from 38 to 0?

If not you will get get magnetic interference as the compass will not relate to the onboard compass in the pixhawk

In Tower or mission planner look for compass_orient. It should be set to 38 if you haven't changed it.

Change the value to 0 (zero) then write parameters

Do a level and compass calibration you should then be good to go.

Do the compass calibration outside away from "everything"

Also then re-enable compass 2 "before" you do the calibrations.

Please don't fly it if you haven't altered the values especially as you have disabled the pixhawk compass. You will crash.
So you change it to 0 if you no longer have the leg compass fitted and are using the here compass, am I understanding this right

Ok I feel like a dumbass followed your instructions and wiring etc but when I start up solo the here runs through its lights then sits there and flash flash in yellow, controller says magnetic interference. Have I wired wrong? Set parameter to 0. Haven't done a calibration just testing on bench. I assume the excess wires not used are just left unconnected, red and black on compass, could I have the two wires back to front on compass?

I am still running on 3DR App but Pedals2paddles has come up with a parameter update package using solex specifically to load all appropriate parameters for the Here install, I have currently grounded that Bird until I get The Green Cube and a dedicated android Tablet to run Solex and run that parameters package from P2P ,I am currently flying "parts only" bird on a Rev B GPS

Reactions: genie4x4
Ok I feel like a dumbass followed your instructions and wiring etc but when I start up solo the here runs through its lights then sits there and flash flash in yellow, controller says magnetic interference. Have I wired wrong? Set parameter to 0. Haven't done a calibration just testing on bench. I assume the excess wires not used are just left unconnected, red and black on compass, could I have the two wires back to front on compass?
Here install real simple to follow
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I am still running on 3DR App but Pedals2paddles has come up with a parameter update package using solex specifically to load all appropriate parameters for the Here install, I have currently grounded that Bird until I get The Green Cube and a dedicated android Tablet to run Solex and run that parameters package from P2P ,I am currently flying "parts only" bird on a Rev B GPS
The only parameter is to change the compass from 38 to 0 in mission planner? That's if you are using the here compass and not the leg compass...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela