Need advice on a tablet

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just got my 3dr solo, and now looking into buying a tablet, which i'll use mainly for flying. My main question is this - should I get a tablet with data plan, or wifi only should suffice? Do i need data to access maps? Anything else? Also, should i only look into 8" or smaller, and do i need retina display or an equivalent?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: agd
Your choice. If you don't get a tablet with a data plan you'll need to cache/download the maps before you hit the field. If you plan on using Tower with Solo, you'll need to get an Android tab as Tower isn't available for iOS.

WiFi will suffice as you can cache the maps to the tablet. I am using a Samsung Tab 4, wifi only and it has worked out pretty well. With an IOS device, you have the capability of recording video to the device and supposedly that capability is coming to Android.
I really don't see a need for that especially when it can record to the camera, and with the gimbal you will be able to start and stop the recording.

I have heard on this forum that even with a data plan the maps still have to be cached.

I think anything over 7 or 8 inches is big, that's just my opinion. Things start getting bulky. My tab 4 is nearly as wide as the controller and is top heavy with it mounted.

You will need a sunshade if you are out in the middle of the day. I made one from cardboard, painted it flat black and slides down onto the tablet and fits snugly.

Reactions: agd and happyflr
Your choice. If you don't get a tablet with a data plan you'll need to cache/download the maps before you hit the field. If you plan on using Tower with Solo, you'll need to get an Android tab as Tower isn't available for iOS.

Do you fly with your Galaxy Tab S 8.4 ?

WiFi will suffice as you can cache the maps to the tablet. I am using a Samsung Tab 4, wifi only and it has worked out pretty well. With an IOS device, you have the capability of recording video to the device and supposedly that capability is coming to Android.
I really don't see a need for that especially when it can record to the camera, and with the gimbal you will be able to start and stop the recording.

I have heard on this forum that even with a data plan the maps still have to be cached.

I think anything over 7 or 8 inches is big, that's just my opinion. Things start getting bulky. My tab 4 is nearly as wide as the controller and is top heavy with it mounted.

You will need a sunshade if you are out in the middle of the day. I made one from cardboard, painted it flat black and slides down onto the tablet and fits snugly.
When you say I'd need to cache the maps, do you mean google maps? What about Here maps? They don't require data, as they are completely stored on the device.

When you say I'd need to cache the maps, do you mean google maps? What about Here maps? They don't require data, as they are completely stored on the device.
You cache the maps from within the app while connected to your home wifi. While in the Solo app you swipe the screen to the left and the map will come up. There is a down arrow on the right side of the screen mid area. You tap that to download the maps.
You can map to different areas of the map, zoom in or out and cache different areas of the map. The app does use google maps.

Reactions: agd and happyflr
You cache the maps from within the app while connected to your home wifi. While in the Solo app you swipe the screen to the left and the map will come up. There is a down arrow on the right side of the screen mid area. You tap that to download the maps.
You can map to different areas of the map, zoom in or out and cache different areas of the map. The app does use google maps.

Got it! Thanks very much for your answers!

Do you fly with your Galaxy Tab S 8.4 ?

Yes, I use my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 to fly Solo and I use my iPad Mini to fly my Inspire1 . For some reason each of the tabs performs better with the bird that I'm using it on.

Reactions: happyflr
I'm also considering a different tablet as I have an iPad Air that seems too large. I'm considering an Android tablet to save a little $$. Looking for suggestions here as I've been using my iPhone 6 for flying and definitely feel the screen is too small to properly compose video shots.
That being said, those that have experience with Android tablets, I'd love to hear your comments/recommedations. I'm thinking a 7"-8" screen would be ideal.
Thanks!

I use a Nexus 7 2013.
$150 wifi only. It doesn't have much storage but it is dedicated to solo and I won't need a lot.
I'm in AZ. I don't have a shade for the screen and I am able to see it in the sun without sunglasses.
I did find that the polorized sunglasses I have will not allow me to see the screen in the horizontal plane.

I use a Nexus 7 2013.
$150 wifi only. It doesn't have much storage but it is dedicated to solo and I won't need a lot.
I'm in AZ. I don't have a shade for the screen and I am able to see it in the sun without sunglasses.
I did find that the polorized sunglasses I have will not allow me to see the screen in the horizontal plane.

So being WiFi only, do you have to pre-download maps?

So being WiFi only, do you have to pre-download maps?

Yes. I have not used the maps yet while flying. I did notice there is a button on the map page ,in the app, to download to the tablet (while on a wifi connection with internet). It seems pretty simple.

Reactions: dcal
I ended up getting the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 wifi. I wanted something with retina-like screen, and S 8.4 pixel density is almost the same as ipad mini retina. Took it to the park for my first solo flight, everything worked quite well.

When you cache a map, how large of an area does it actually cover x miles by x miles ??? and can you zoom in and out on the maps as if you were on Google Earth?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado