MRobotics GPS mod and 3DR Shield

I think the shield is still a good investment, so you're doing the right thing there. The issues discussed on here were around the shorting of the GPS board component via the copper shield (the famous cardboard mod). The V2 shield certainly avoids any chance of that problem.

If I have the Rev B GPS (Best Buy Refurb), does it make sense to add the V2 shield? I haven't taken it all the way apart, but I can see the copper shield when I remove the GPS cover.
I get around 7-9 SATS when I fire it up (within a minute or so), and I am up to 11-13 when up in the air.

Some people have had issues with shorts from the copper shield. The V2 will certainly avoid that - although you may never have a problem at all..
..I just did it to avoid any risk. I think for the money it's worth removing any risk.

If you are happy with how it flies you don't need to do anything else. That being said, the "cardboard mod" is free and easy.
The purpose of adding the spacer between the stock copper shield and the GPS chipset is really to add a little room between the shield and the sensitive electronics. The chipset isn't 'shorting out' with the shield (since they are all grounded anyway). When a strong EM field hits the copper it sets up a small surface currents which in turn can re-radiate the noise if the chips are in close proximity.

Reactions: Kamehameha1
This all good info and educational. Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts, opinions and expertise.

Does anyone happen to know how the the 3DR RevB GPS with the 3DR Shield compare with mRo on its own?
MRO picks up more sats. I also put the 3DR shield in and in picks up to 23 sats and locks in very quick usually under a minute. I also have one with rev B with 3DR shield and it picks up 9 to 11 sats. It takes it 2 to 3 minutes to lock in. Just order another shield and MRO GPS module.

When you go to order there's the required field where you have to choose the cable.
If you do the GPS Mod with the MRO its plug and play. Not sure on the M8N. You tube has been great for information and illustrations.

If you do the GPS Mod with the MRO its plug and play. Not sure on the M8N. You tube has been great for information and illustrations.
Could you be so kind as to send me the link to the GPS Mod with the RMO? I just want to be 100% sure that I order the correct one. Thank you in advance.

Go to the Mrobotics website . It also has a installation video. It's really pretty simple to change out. I have 3 solos and changed all 3 gps modules and they work great. Take you 10 to 15 minutes.

Go to the Mrobotics website . It also has a installation video. It's really pretty simple to change out. I have 3 solos and changed all 3 gps modules and they work great. Take you 10 to 15 minutes.
I think things got lost in "translation". I thought you were referring to the following. I too have the one from MRobotics which is double the price of this one.
MINI UBLOX M8N GPS GLONASS W/ (35X35MM) MOUNTING BACKPLANE AND COMPASS V2

Bruce, I'm curious. Has anyone given you feedback

One member above said he has three and loves them. As to the cable I'm pretty sure whichever you order you'll have to cut it in the middle, cut the Solo cable in the middle, and create create an unholy marriage using solder and heatshrink.

Thanks Matt. The other member was referring to the mRO one, which is a plug-and-play.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44