MRobotics GPS mod and 3DR Shield

Here is a video on putting m8N into Solo:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is one of those being cheap will bite you in the end situations dude...

One other thing to consider, if my solo falls, I can swap the gps back in a few minutes and send it in for warranty. With this mod, not so much.

One other thing to consider, if my solo falls, I can swap the gps back in a few minutes and send it in for warranty. With this mod, not so much.

Advise well taken Lon. I'll stick to the RevB stock and the mRO.

CHEERS,
Sam

This is one of those being cheap will bite you in the end situations dude...

I have parts birds so if need be, I can swap a GPS cable back into one for warranty purposes as well.

And if this unit does as well as the MRO M8N then I think it's cheapness well placed, myself. Thus far, no one can tell me if this unit performs or not. And aren't more options a good thing?

I agree with the above. I know that 3DR I've got is not covered by warranty anyway, and isn't tinkering with it is part of the fun? I always welcome when there is more then one option available.

If the price point is important to you, consider the HERE GPS. It is based on the M8N chipset but very nicely packaged. ReadymadeRC has them for $48.
98b7a827dc655cee3a84c0f9f3093dde.jpg

If the price point is important to you, consider the HERE GPS. It is based on the M8N chipset but very nicely packaged. ReadymadeRC has them for $48.

One of those is probably in my future, too. But it requires cutting the external shell which means I need to buy cutting wheels for the dremel. And I'm curious about the $30 internal unit, too.

Hey I'm always cool with options. My Solo is still under warranty...although I'm afraid it won't matter once they see the flight logs. They will never believe I got 25 sats with their set up! I actually like the Here set up as well. However, I'm getting fast lock on and plenty of sats so I don't any need to make further changes.

Maybe I'm a snob or whatever but the MRO actually fits the solo, no mods necessary and it has a somewhat "proven" aspect to it. Because the ublox only takes one screw out of four, maybe I'm stupid, but I only want to do this once, close it up and forget about it. Part of my deal is peace of mind. I'm willing to pay $30-40 more for that. I don't "tinker" just to do it. I'm looking for a demonstrable improvement. The MRO has provided that.

Because the ublox only takes one screw out of four, maybe I'm stupid, but I only want to do this once, close it up and forget about it. Part of my deal is peace of mind. I'm willing to pay $30-40 more for that. I don't "tinker" just to do it. I'm looking for a demonstrable improvement. The MRO has provided that.
I am more interested in performance comparison between the two. Designing/printing a mounting adapter on a 3d printer that takes ublox and adds four 3DR mounting points is a no brainer. Probably part of fun.

I am more interested in performance comparison between the two. Designing/printing a mounting adapter on a 3d printer that takes ublox and adds four 3DR mounting points is a no brainer. Probably part of fun.

Cool, go have fun, I'll be over here safe and secure. I don't find flying my drone worried it may fly away at any point because I cobbled in some bargain basement gps "fun". I work with electronics every day. The current involved with these components is very small. I'm an expert solder gun and heat shrink technician but any time you break a wire and introduce splices, you incur loss and create possible failure points. You say you're going to make a mounting adapter, which is cool, however, I'd rather install a unit made for my system. To each his own.

Do I need to have the shield mod even with the mRO? or is the mRO good on its own?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Granny