Motor pod support issue

Reaction score
On 2-29-16 I was "partially" removing my motor pods for the 1st time to lube the lower bearings. The only problem I encountered was with pod #2. The screw closest to the leg came out part way then began spinning like a stripped screw.

I managed to get it out and discovered a small piece of plastic that surrounds the threaded metal bushing the screw "screws" into had broken loose. This allowed the bushing to spin freely so there is no way to tighten up the screw back.

I can't just "epoxy" it in place because the inner threads are damaged.

I sent in a support ticket and received the following response on 3-1:

Thank you for contacting 3DR's Technical Support.

My name is Gabriel and I will be helping you out with your case.

We don't recommend flying damaged parts as it may affect its airworthiness and can put in risk the whole equipment.

At 3DR, we care about our customers and are always willing to help, be welcome to write in this email for further assistance on this and future issues/doubts.

Best regards,
Gabriel C.
[3DR Technical Support Engineer]

I responded telling Gabriel my Solo was under warranty and asked if they were going to repair/replace the motor pod. No response yet.

Should I expect them to replace it under warranty?

What do you think @Vu.3DR?
image.jpeg

I had a "motor pod" problem so they said... they offered to RMA a motor pod at My cost.....My diags showed i had a compass issue not a motor pod problem! so I guess it could go any which way.

Reactions: Maddog
Mine is just 4 short months from out of warranty
I already have two old motor pods I replaced on my own
going to just buy two more and put them on solo soon

Then I will be swapping mine out for T motors

Reactions: Nerius and Maddog
Just got an email from support requesting pics. It's a well balanced motor so I really don't want to replace it.
The interior threads of the bushing are stripped so I can't just epoxy it back in place. I think the screw was cross-threaded when installed.

We'll see what happens.:)

Just received a response declining to warranty the motor pod. Below is my response:

Gabriel,

I just got your response and it appears you are not clear about what happened- let me recap:

I removed all of the motor pods so I could lubricate the lower bearings. It is normal maintenance and it is not possible to lube the lower bearing without removing the motor pod.
While removing one screw on pod #2, the screw got stuck inside the metal bushing it is screwed into. I think it may have been cross-threaded when originally installed but in any event, while turning the screw the metal bushing “broke free” and began turning freely with the screw stuck inside it. When I finally was able to remove the pod, I discovered a small piece of plastic missing from around that bushing. This allowed it to spin freely. This is what is pictured in the photo I sent you.

Regarding the first 4 bullet points of your response:

1) “Our products pass through a strict quality check process, which makes it impossible to go out on the market with suck failure. “
This “failure” would not be evident until somebody tried to remove the screw. I encountered the same issue with two screws on the battery tray when I was instructed by tech support to remove it to check my gimbal HDMI cable. Two of the screw mounting points broke free.

2) “If the motor pod had got that damage under normal circumstances, the result would've been more destructive”
This has nothing to do with removing a motor pod for maintenance.
3) “Handling of the solo components must be authorized by one of our support engineers in case if necessary after checking that it's needed”
Removing motor pods for replacement/maintenance is done routinely by Solo owners without supervision of an engineer.
4) [Warranty polici] 3D Robotics makes no other warranties for Solo, and "makes no warranties whatsoever for service, software, maintenance or support for non-3D Robotics branded products."
We’re talking about a 3DR motor pod.
I’ve read all of the material mentioned and it has nothing to do with this.
Please send this to your supervisor or somebody higher up the chain of command for review. I reject your excuses and request the pod be replaced under warranty.
Respectfully,

Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 4:12 PM

Subject: Re:198334 Other

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Gabriel (3DR)

Mar 8, 3:12 PM

Good day Mark,

It appears that we can't proceed to replace that motor pod in-warranty, due to the following circumstances:

• Our products pass through a strict quality check process, which makes it impossible to go out on the market with suck failure.
  • If the motor pod had got that damage under normal circumstances, the result would've been more destructive.
  • Handling of the solo components must be authorized by one of our support engineers in case if necessary after checking that it's needed.
  • [Warranty polici] 3D Robotics makes no other warranties for Solo, and "makes no warranties whatsoever for service, software, maintenance or support for non-3D Robotics branded products."
Motor pod replacements can be found in out online store as follow:

Also, [FYI] to have a better understand on the product's capabilities and limitations, please read and understand the important safety instructions from the user manual and knowledgebase to help reduce the risk of flying in areas with potential hazards; having incidents, accidents and/or serious injuries.

Being sorry for any inconvenient, Let me know if there anything else I could help you with?

Best regards,
Gabriel C.
[3DR Technical Support Engineer]

@Vu.3DR do you think you can look into this? Thank you.

Yeah sadly it's impossible to prove that it was damaged from the factory. Kind of a crappy situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the response to my response:

Santiago (3DR)

Mar 15, 9:33 AM

Hello Mark,

Looking at the picture provided and new motor pods we have in house, there is nothing wrong with yours and this is simply the way the are assembled.
If the motor pod was damaged upon removal, we cannot replace it under warranty.

Regards,
Santiago
3DR Technical Support

Really? They're made with broken, missing pieces?

I think what they're saying is "you broke it taking it apart, not our problem." Does 3DR instruct/recommend the end user take it apart to lubricate the bearings?

Here's the response to my response:

Santiago (3DR)

Mar 15, 9:33 AM

Hello Mark,

Looking at the picture provided and new motor pods we have in house, there is nothing wrong with yours and this is simply the way the are assembled.
If the motor pod was damaged upon removal, we cannot replace it under warranty.

Regards,
Santiago
3DR Technical Support

Really? They're made with broken, missing pieces?
Hey Maddog!
How did you end up resolving this issue? Will you need to replace the shell?

I think what they're saying is "you broke it taking it apart, not our problem." Does 3DR instruct/recommend the end user take it apart to lubricate the bearings?
I think you're right but they cross threaded a screw during assembly.

They recommend you lube the bearings- removing the motor pod is the only way to access the bottom bearing.

Hey Maddog!
How did you end up resolving this issue? Will you need to replace the shell?
Well, their last response is it- you broke it taking it apart so it's your problem.

I don't need a shell, the broken part is on the #2 motor pod. I just reinstalled it with 3 screws instead of 4.

I would not even worry about that screw there still four on the motor and three holding the motor to the craft. You could pull the bushing and drill through to the top and use a bolt/screw and nut or not drill so far and use a curse screw.

This is the craziest statement I've ever read..... I say run it up higher or at least don't give up trying to get a replacement. Such BS.
I agree- this is from "up higher". It's difficult to complain to a company that doesn't answer the phone. Emails can easily "disappear".

I really don't know how to contact someone in charge- even chat can give you the runaround.

I tried to get Vu on board but never got any response from him.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44