Motor Pod noise

Reaction score
Hi all, my drone recently took a minor dive into the dirt, no damage caused. Since then I have noticed that one of the motor pods makes a slightly noisier sound than the other motors when spinning by hand, like there may be a bit of dirt in the pod or something like that . I have done many flights since and everything works fine. Does anyone know if you can spray any oil into the motor pod? WD40 or like oil.

Not WD40. That will clean away everything including the protective oils. I use a needle dropper to just put a drop or two on the bearings themselves. Mine was a freebie from one of the tool salesmen and I forget what the exact oil is but it works very well on bearings. There was another post here recently about this, others said this stuff is good for motor bearings https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Flow-TFBC20027-Superior-Lubricator-Blister/dp/B000CCML7G clean out the motor as well as possible first.

It could be bearings or material getting around the stator windings or magnets in the bell. You could try to blow out the motor with some compressed air, remove the pod from the frame first.

The forum seems to favor Tri-Flow oil in a pen applicator for bearings, should be available in a hardware store. Like above, WD40 is not a good choice

Unless your interested in opening the motor and replacing bearings, your option is to replace the motor pod. In any case, motor noise is typically an indicator of future problems if not resolved, imho.

Reactions: SARDG
It could be bearings or material getting around the stator windings or magnets in the bell. You could try to blow out the motor with some compressed air, remove the pod from the frame first...
SARDG always carries compressed air... ;)

SARDG always carries compressed air...
Among other things....

Curious do use retail compressed air cans with bitterants added? I stopped using them once I realized it contaminated my hands and everything thing sprayed with a god awful residue.

I use an air compressor at about 90psi, tends to remove most loose stuff. If that doesn't work, then the motor must come apart. Blue-Tack is good at getting stuff off the magnets and stators once the motors are disassembled.

Among other things....

Curious do use retail compressed air cans with bitterants added? I stopped using them once I realized it contaminated my hands and everything thing sprayed with a god awful residue....
I use Dust-off for Electronics. Can says it contains a bitterant, but I notice no residue. I could try to huff it if that helps? :eek:

I have a compressor as well, but my hose doesn't reach to the crash site. :)

Never used Blu-Tack. Never thought about that.

Hi all, I pulled the motor out and blasted it with compressed air, this did not rectify the noise after reinstall, i will try oil now as mentioned above. When I wind the motor very slowly by hand it feels the same as the other motors, it does not feel like there is bearing wear or anything grindy in the motor pod. I don't know why it sounds slightly different than the other motors when I spin the motor fast by hand. Maybe I am just being a little pedantic, but I don't want a motor failure mid flight as spectacular as that could look.

Hi
I kinda got the same thing I didn't have a crash tho was wondering if anyone had a motor failure

I think mine is going bad I have video just don't know how to upload it its apple

Update I did have motor failure good thing I was flying was messing around with MAV pilot what I did notice was that when the motor did fail I got loss of signal on the controller

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig