More bad video!

Reaction score
So I flew again today trying to make sure the gimbal was nice and free to move. I got 2 of the worst vidoes I have ever recorded. So much jello effect that I don't even think I can get a still shot. I also had a loss of control on the first flight. Just started drifting and the controller was vibrating. It was up about 100ft and 50 ft out. So far this is a complete POS. I could get better video with a kite.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
You have a gimbal on your Solo? What type were you able to mount?

Reactions: Raybro
I don't suppose you would be willing to upload your log files... I am interested in looking at your loss of control and drifting....

sorry but i dont really understand what people are expecting from the video without the gimbal. i think most people realize that this thing is meant to fly with the gimbal and expecting great video from a crappy plastic gopro mount isn't realisitc. not saying you shouldnt return it - just that it is doing about what everyone expects it should at this point without a gimbal.

i think a little expectation management is needed....oh and please upload that kite video when you get it - i would be interested to see that....

So I flew again today trying to make sure the gimbal was nice and free to move. I got 2 of the worst vidoes I have ever recorded. So much jello effect that I don't even think I can get a still shot. I also had a loss of control on the first flight. Just started drifting and the controller was vibrating. It was up about 100ft and 50 ft out. So far this is a complete POS. I could get better video with a kite.

Actually it looks pretty good for an unedited video with a GoPro on a static mount. Ever seen other videos from quads with solid mounts, they're terrible. I don't know what you are expecting with no gimbal..

Reactions: GoodnNuff
sorry but i dont really understand what people are expecting from the video without the gimbal. i think most people realize that this thing is meant to fly with the gimbal and expecting great video from a crappy plastic gopro mount isn't realisitc. not saying you shouldnt return it - just that it is doing about what everyone expects it should at this point without a gimbal.

i think a little expectation management is needed....oh and please upload that kite video when you get it - i would be interested to see that....
I zip tied the camera.cable to the base of the camera mount. Now it is won't bind and I expect better video tomorrow. I think what happened was I tucked the cable up into the body. I bet when I pushed the buttons on the gopro the cable probably dropped down onto the body shell.
Not bragging or being cocky, but I have been a full scale pilot for 20 years. Flying RC for 33 years. I have a house full of multis 's and parts. I have taken very poorly made Chinese parts and built multi's with the camera foam taped the the frame and gotten better video. I just expected a zip tie or heat shrink on the cable to prevent it from contacting the frame. Even if the mount was a last minute idea like some speculate, it seems that anybody with any experience should have caught that before they got packaged.
Anyway just my two cents. I also am a little disappointed I lost control and the TX started vibrating even after it let me ragain control. Vibrated all the way to the landimg

I don't suppose you would be willing to upload your log files... I am interested in looking at your loss of control and drifting....
Yes. I am not sure how to get them yet. The loss of control happened in my first flight. Then I moved to a new location and flew again. No problem the second flight but it was short

Yes. I am not sure how to get them yet. The loss of control happened in my first flight. Then I moved to a new location and flew again. No problem the second flight but it was short
If you go to raise a support ticket from within the Solo app, it will attach the logs to an email in a zip file. You can then save them off to something like Dropbox or just email them to yourself.

There is a thread started here for reading them that also includes extracting them. Let me know if you need more info though. Easy once you do it once.

Reactions: Leafy
What settings did you use on your gopro and was there a lot of wind? If there was no wind I'd expect less jello than that. I don't see much jello if any in the videos from my solo flights.

What settings did you use on your gopro and was there a lot of wind? If there was no wind I'd expect less jello than that. I don't see much jello if any in the videos from my solo flights.
It is a GP3 Hero+ Set at 1080p 30fps. There was about a 5mph wind. When I lost control at 2min 37sec you can hear what sounds like 3 beeps and the controller started vibrating in pulses.
I took it out today and forgot my camera. No loss of control issues and I was flying between metal buildings. I can't seem to see any information on the vibration feedback from the TX in the manual. I did not like the controller vibrating when I lost control because it makes you want to lose line of sight and look down at the controller. Bad habit in my opinion. Voice would be much more natural and could give you lots of information.
More pros than cons on the Solo for me. When it works it's pretty damn good. I want the gimbal now!

Try a higher frame rate and just go down to 30 in post if that's what you want to output in. I've only shot in 60p so far just cause I feel like anything lower will show jello without the gimbal.

I agree that 3dr should have set proper expectations with the hard mount.

Your vid looks OK to me. I don't know what the beeps or loss of control was from, but the vibes on decent were because you were coming down in your own prop wash. With out a gimbal that will always look crappy IMHO.

I zip tied the camera.cable to the base of the camera mount. Now it is won't bind and I expect better video tomorrow. I think what happened was I tucked the cable up into the body. I bet when I pushed the buttons on the gopro the cable probably dropped down onto the body shell.
Not bragging or being cocky, but I have been a full scale pilot for 20 years. Flying RC for 33 years. I have a house full of multis 's and parts. I have taken very poorly made Chinese parts and built multi's with the camera foam taped the the frame and gotten better video. I just expected a zip tie or heat shrink on the cable to prevent it from contacting the frame. Even if the mount was a last minute idea like some speculate, it seems that anybody with any experience should have caught that before they got packaged.
Anyway just my two cents. I also am a little disappointed I lost control and the TX started vibrating even after it let me ragain control. Vibrated all the way to the landimg
All that experience, and yet you keep comparing the Solo to a Blade 350QX????
Sorry, it just strikes me as humorous. I have two 350QXs, two Phantoms, an Iris+, and a Yuneec Q500, and the 350QXs are the most toy like of the lot. What about the other mult-rotors you have built? They flew worse than the 350QX?

Good: Why in the heck do you have that many drones? :)

Ray: Do you like the Syma? I was thinking of getting one of those to practice with.

Thanks
Ryan G

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Try shooting at a higher frame rate, that will help curb jello a little bit. Neutral Density filters will also reduce the shutter speed and help reduce the amount of rolling shutter caused by the GoPro's CMOS sensor (jello-effect). We have a couple different shades of Filters available that will help reduce Jello.

Hope that helps!

Jeff

put a rubber washer on the goPro screw and dont tighten it too much. vibration is loss of signal. how did you have your antennas placed down and out i hope?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado