MIKRO TIK wifi cards HELP !!!

Reaction score
i know its been discussed here and there... i did read all i found...LOOKED EVERYWHERE!! but nowhere i can find help for ''unlocking'' my wifi cards wich are based on 9582 chipset ! apparently, they put out 22db only stock...not like the 9580 chipset (so called unsensored) wich do 30db! (stock do 19-or-20 i think...)
-so, i need to know what software i must use...
-and, how to do it ? (where do i install the wifi cards in order to do that? in reg. computer? in solo transmitter?

please HELP !!!!!!!!!!

I don't know of anyone that has "unlocked" the full potential of these cards that have the 9582 chipset, (the one's I have) but even if you were to "unlock" them, and by "unlock" I mean bypass the FCC regs that were put on these cards for sale in US, isn't there a limit in the solo software that limits the wifi set up to a max of 30db? So with the 22dB that you get from the mikrotiks plus whatever dB your antennas are putting out, I have 7dB alfas, giving me a total of 29 dB , that would leave you with 1dB to use with this set up. Not worth the trouble in my opinion. Since I don't think anyone has figured out how to get more than a "usable" 30dB anyway.

I know we all jumped on this Mikrotik bandwagon because they have lots more power over stock, but it may have been misguided since we won't be able to use the full potential of these cards anyway.

Guys, am I mistaken here? can someone who has already hashed this out cast some light?

I don't know of anyone that has "unlocked" the full potential of these cards that have the 9582 chipset, (the one's I have) but even if you were to "unlock" them, and by "unlock" I mean bypass the FCC regs that were put on these cards for sale in US, isn't there a limit in the solo software that limits the wifi set up to a max of 30db? So with the 22dB that you get from the mikrotiks plus whatever dB your antennas are putting out, I have 7dB alfas, giving me a total of 29 dB , that would leave you with 1dB to use with this set up. Not worth the trouble in my opinion. Since I don't think anyone has figured out how to get more than a "usable" 30dB anyway.

I know we all jumped on this Mikrotik bandwagon because they have lots more power over stock, but it may have been misguided since we won't be able to use the full potential of these cards anyway.

Guys, am I mistaken here? can someone who has already hashed this out cast some light?
Thanks for the input and comments ! Appreciate it !!

Tell me one thing, is it true that you have to remove them in order to do a software update in solo??

Tell me one thing, is it true that you have to remove them in order to do a software update in solo??
No you dont.
Only code changes need to be reversed prior to updates.

i know its been discussed here and there... i did read all i found...LOOKED EVERYWHERE!! but nowhere i can find help for ''unlocking'' my wifi cards wich are based on 9582 chipset ! apparently, they put out 22db only stock...not like the 9580 chipset (so called unsensored) wich do 30db! (stock do 19-or-20 i think...)
-so, i need to know what software i must use...
-and, how to do it ? (where do i install the wifi cards in order to do that? in reg. computer? in solo transmitter?

please HELP !!!!!!!!!!

Are your drivers patched?

Man be careful, if you are attempting this mod, those terms should not be alien to you.
some people have fried solo boards doing this mod.

for what its worth, if I were attempting it here is he resource I would use
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: dml931
Man be careful, if you are attempting this mod, those terms should not be alien to you.
some people have fried solo boards doing this mod.

for what its worth, if I were attempting it here is he resource I would use
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks for the warning. I am aware there is always a risk performing some mods...
But.I really want to know more ! Software needed, codes, whatsoever ! Then I will make the decision regarding the cards mod... Can someone tell me more ?

Thanks for the warning. I am aware there is always a risk performing some mods...
But.I really want to know more ! Software needed, codes, whatsoever ! Then I will make the decision regarding the cards mod... Can someone tell me more ?

As far as I can tell the MikroTik wifi cards that you are talking about run on the same drivers that the stock solo wifi cards run on. Which is why someone looked into this mod in the first place. So in theory it should be a direct swap without patching drivers or any software changes at all. That being said, you are still going to be limited by the stock setup in terms of power output. Yes you will get increased range with these cards. I have only swapped out the one in my controller and I have not had a RTL since, (flying appropriately of course) before the swap I was plagued with RTL.

The chipset you mentioned is the exact same chipset for the MikroTik cards that I have, try the controller swap first if you feel comfortable doing it, (I work as a IT/Networking Tech so I feel comfortable around electronics) The controller swap is really not difficult. The solo swap is another story, it involves a lot more "taking things apart and putting back together".

PS.. if you decide to do this mod in your controller be prepared with a small hot glue gun or something similar so you can fasten the wire leads in place after you remove the stock ones. You will see what I mean when you get the controller apart.

I did the MikroTik card swap in my controller before the last big update, and the update went flawlessly for me without changing a thing. (I looked up the drivers for the cards somewhere, so I was at least a little confident there would be no problems.) If I find the info for the drivers I will post it here

I did the MikroTik card swap in my controller before the last big update, and the update went flawlessly for me without changing a thing. (I looked up the drivers for the cards somewhere, so I was at least a little confident there would be no problems.) If I find the info for the drivers I will post it here
Thanks for the infos Jake !

I am comfortable with the hardware mod in either unit.

So, I thought I would return the cards as they are 9582 chip ( from reading all kind of things here and there about 9580 being the "thing" to get )... But I will keep those and give them a try !

I got my Fpvlr antenna... I get 30% better signal in urban areas.
But in open field, I did not get any improvement at all!
With stock antennas, I did 5985 feet !!!
With Fpvlr I did 4600 feet...
Same conditions, same height, same weather and degrees !! And same area as well !
The only difference was the transmitter battery was 75-80% full with Fpvlr.
I don't think that did make a difference...

My next try will be the cards combined with stock antenna and then, with Fpvlr antenna...

Also, tell me if I'm wrong or not... But I took a look at tower software and Android planner, and I think those are the software's for any programming for the heart of solo...right??

Waiting for you...

Thanks for the infos Jake !

I am comfortable with the hardware mod in either unit.

So, I thought I would return the cards as they are 9582 chip ( from reading all kind of things here and there about 9580 being the "thing" to get )... But I will keep those and give them a try !

Also, tell me if I'm wrong or not... But I took a look at tower software and Android planner, and I think those are the software's for any programming for the heart of solo...right??

I can only speak with confidence about what my experience has been with the 9582 chipset. I swapped out the card in the controller and it imporoved my range and ;made my connection to solo much more stable. I have not had a RTL when I shouldn't have one. Whereas before, I was having RTL at minimal height and distance. FYI - I also use the alpha 7 db directional antennas which perform really well considering the price point.

I did not have to patch any drivers or upload any codes to make these MikroTik cards work. It was a straight swap into the controller.
Have a look at what NYG posted when this whole MikroTik card this started. (search the forum for this original thread)

"The Solo uses the ath9k driver that is compatible with a wide range of Atheros based cards." (the MikroTik R11e-2Hnd is an Atheros wifi card)

To make this short and sweet, you don't need to do anything but swap the card out since the solo already uses the correct drivers for this card.

You only changed the one in the controller, not the one onboard the solo?
Yeah, I bought two cards with the intentions of replacing both, but after doing a distance test I figured I didn't need to replace the card in the solo at this point. I probably will do some mods on the solo in the future, (including putting that second card in) but for now, my solo does just what I need it to.

Reactions: pat-love
As far as I can tell the MikroTik wifi cards that you are talking about run on the same drivers that the stock solo wifi cards run on. Which is why someone looked into this mod in the first place. So in theory it should be a direct swap without patching drivers or any software changes at all. That being said, you are still going to be limited by the stock setup in terms of power output. Yes you will get increased range with these cards. I have only swapped out the one in my controller and I have not had a RTL since, (flying appropriately of course) before the swap I was plagued with RTL.

The chipset you mentioned is the exact same chipset for the MikroTik cards that I have, try the controller swap first if you feel comfortable doing it, (I work as a IT/Networking Tech so I feel comfortable around electronics) The controller swap is really not difficult. The solo swap is another story, it involves a lot more "taking things apart and putting back together".

PS.. if you decide to do this mod in your controller be prepared with a small hot glue gun or something similar so you can fasten the wire leads in place after you remove the stock ones. You will see what I mean when you get the controller apart.
A thin Zip Tie, works well Across to top of the antenna contact leads. Did my exchange about a year ago. Never a problem.
Been looking for a "patch" for drivers to increase TX on both cars.. never found one.

A thin Zip Tie, works well Across to top of the antenna contact leads. Did my exchange about a year ago. Never a problem.
Been looking for a "patch" for drivers to increase TX on both cars.. never found one.

Patching will remove the regulatory restrictions in the drivers and allow you to use channels 12 and 13. Of course there are legal restrictions around that depending on country. I'm not sure if it'll increase TX power but i think there are limitations where 27db is max. If you want the patch i can make it available and I can write up some instructions.

Reactions: pious_greek
Also to note that MicroTik have released a 2.4 R11e PCIE card pushing out 1000Mw. it has a Heat Sink on it but you can also get a PCIE extender Ribbon to move the card to a more optimal postion in the Controller. In the Bird I dare say as close to the center of the thing is required?? I will investigate this.

Also to note that MicroTik have released a 2.4 R11e PCIE card pushing out 1000Mw. it has a Heat Sink on it but you can also get a PCIE extender Ribbon to move the card to a more optimal postion in the Controller. In the Bird I dare say as close to the center of the thing is required?? I will investigate this.

How did you go with the 1000mw cards??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc