Master Airscrew Solo Deluxe Props

How did you mount them in the balancer? I couldn't figure out how to prevent wobbling when I used the both the original rod (with the spring) and the solo custom rod.
I don't have a custom Solo rod per se, I have a rod I used for my Phantom 2 which works fine.
I glued the nuts to the props both so that I could mount them quickly and so that any hub balancing I did would not change with however I happened to orient the nut on the prop.

The thing is that in the engineering world, you cannot center based on thread. You need the shaft to align the prop opening and just to tighten them with the nut. Meaning that if you balance on the threaded Solo rod, counting that the nuts will center the props, you will most likely be wrong.

I glued the nuts in and needed to balance 6 out of 8; all four black.
The thing is that in the engineering world, you cannot center based on thread. You need the shaft to align the prop opening and just to tighten them with the nut. Meaning that if you balance on the threaded Solo rod, counting that the nuts will center the props, you will most likely be wrong.

Once the nut is glued in any amount that the shaft is off center will always be consistent, so i am not sure I understand the point you are making? How else would one more effectively balance a prop with a nut?

Once the nut is glued in any amount that the shaft is off center will always be consistent, so i am not sure I understand the point you are making? How else would one more effectively balance a prop with a nut?
Right, however my point is that the thread alone will center every time differently. This is why you have a straight part (8mm diameter) on the motor shaft which does the centering and then the thread which holds everything together (when you put the nut of course). So in order to do the perfect balance you need shaft with thread which is exactly as the motor - 8mm shaft ending with M6 thread.

Well, no body have to go there in my opinion.
I have played a lot with different balancers and different props. Trying to measure the actual disbalance and knowing where to stop balancing is the key :)
After all, there is no such thing as perfect balance

On Stick Response
There is no question that the MAs give a more accurate and responsive stick control. The sense is that the solo is "wired tighter" with MAs over Stock props. I'm not sure how that will manifest with the camera capture. I don't think that snappy and tight control is what one really wants in aerial filming.

If the props gives more lift at low RPM than stock, it may explain why it is more responsive.
I rather have a slower response quad for video.
I am thinking to buy the MA props too :), for fun sake.

Reactions: Solo Keith
Haha, nice :)
The quad would increase RPMs until it reaches the altitude you want or just keep it hover.
If this requires less RPMs, you will likely get less vibrations and longer flight time.

So actually it will be more responsive only if you are aggressive with the sticks and gentle if you are gentle with the sticks :)

I shot this video with the MA props. Yes they were a PITA to balance; I ended up turning a small adapter that fit into the recess so I could use the cones on my DB balancer. They weren't far out but I feel my technique left a little to be desired.

My Solo was very smooth with the MA props and quieter. I like them better than the stock props but not as much as the 11" props. The 11" props are more stable and quieter IMO. I still like these props and will use them especially down low. As you can see my Solo flies pretty low and these props felt more responsive than the larger one. The larger props seem more stable at altitude or going fast. I cut a lot of high altitude orbit shot's out here because Solo seemed to rock on the yaw axis out there. Could be turning up the yaw P will help.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Solo Keith and SPP
So actually it will be more responsive only if you are aggressive with the sticks and gentle if you are gentle with the sticks :)

James,
For me a newbie, my muscle memory when controlling the sticks is kinda fix value and crude...LOL.
I will move my finger as how I used to move it with stock props. If I look at its MR series 9 x 4.5 version test file ( yes not 10 x 4.5 ) it thrust at low RPM is very good and probably the 10 x 4.5 is also a more efficient prop as Jublair test pointed out. I would probably also find this prop aggressive for the slow video maneuver I am after.

My Phantom4 at even slowest setting, is not as elegant as Solo Snail setting for video, for my crude skill.
Since this MR series Master Airscrew is more efficient and more so at low RPM where the thrust is 450 - 600 grams per motor , it will be a good choice if the video shoot is not about chasing a car or a boat but more of lower thrust. Its 9 x 4.5 can do good thrust at 9000 RPM and up , I would assume 10 x 4.5 would be the same, if top speed matters.

Go to bottom page of the link, there are 2 test file. MR - Drone Propellers – Master Airscrew
But a 9 x 4.5 and KV900 and KV1100 T-Motor 2216.

A pilot skill will matter a big deal I think, some seasoned flyers would have develop surgeon grade stick control. For me I am far away from that kind of finger skill.:(

Yes they were a PITA to balance; I ended up turning a small adapter that fit into the recess so I could use the cones on my DB balancer

Yikes... that need extra work. Thanks for the info Rob.

Just curious, why use the closed nut supplied with the MA set. Could you not use a standard 6mm nut? APC's are supplied with a standard nut and I've had no issues balancing my props, with the nut glued in. And for the record, you can balance to near perfection, if needed.

Precision prop balancing is more than just weight. Uniform blade length and tip offset are two other factors to consider. This will give you an idea how well the balancing system is aligned to the prop. Place a fixed object near the prop tip to provide a reference, then rotate the prop to verify the alignment or length. Same can be done with a mounted prop off a motor. If your prop doesn't fit squarely on the motor, then no amount of weight balancing will help.

I think you guys are being smoosed by marketing. Seems you are paying a high price to get a prop bag and a box included with your props....makes me wonder what they are selling...

Disclaimer, I have only flown with the Stock and APC props.

Cool :)
3DR Solo Propeller Upgrade - ORANGE - Master Airscrew 10x4.5 MR Propeller
slide1.jpg

Wish I knew before Sat. I purchased 2 sets of the black ones. Amazingly they arrived yesterday. But would of been nice to get a set of these orange ones.

I like them but they remind me of those old orange gws props... which i always thought were horrible looking on most planes...
The MAs defintily look snazzy and i bet in person the orange is very striking and wont look cheap like the gws props. Might have to try one out, better visibility isnt bad especially for bystanders.

I wonder if there is any reason you could not use the black on the front and orange on the back to help with visual orientation of the solo?

MIND BLOWN
orange in the back with the red lights and black so in the front is alot less obtrusive when props enter the frame

Another user posted this in another thread. You can see the orange props come into view a few seconds in. Yah, I think the black ones in front would be a bit less distracting if they came into view.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea