Malfunction of camera feed to Solo

Reaction score
On my iPad I just get a black screen when I press Fly Solo on the app.

I fly it anyway and press the record button on the app and then stop recording and bring the drone to land.

So there is a recording of the flight on the iPad but it is black.

HOWEVER when I check the black GoPro’s 3+ SD card in my computer there is a great little video, which leads me to think something is malfunctioning with the signal sent back from the camera to the drone thence to the iPad.
Maybe the lead got damaged when I crashed it?
Is there an easy fix?

There are two workarounds for iPad users. (1) After recording starts, exit the iPad app and restart it. This usually revives the live video feed to the iPad. (2) Use a lower video resolution. 1080 at 30 fps doesn't black out on my iPad. Experiment to find the highest resolution that works. If a higher resolution is needed, revert to workaround #1 above.

There are two workarounds for iPad users. (1) After recording starts, exit the iPad app and restart it. This usually revives the live video feed to the iPad. (2) Use a lower video resolution. 1080 at 30 fps doesn't black out on my iPad. Experiment to find the highest resolution that works. If a higher resolution is needed, revert to workaround #1 above.
Thanks Joe ...I never would have thought of that first workaround. I will try it in the next couple of weeks.
Nick, Lilli Pilli, NSW Australia

I had a similar problem. After eliminating everything that I could think of (connections, HDMI cable etc.), I borrowed a friend’s GoPro 4 and that solved my problem. Good video everywhere.

I had a similar problem. After eliminating everything that I could think of (connections, HDMI cable etc.), I borrowed a friend’s GoPro 4 and that solved my problem. Good video everywhere.
Thanks Mossie - another great idea. My son has a newer GoPro - I just have to convince him to lend it to me!, Cheers, Nick

Hi Nick if you find the newer GoPro works let me know. I have a GoPro 3 silver attached and I was getting really nice video at 1080 48 f and went to fly yesterday and I just get black video no crash or any bad handling or anything to cause it to fail. I use side pilot on an iPhone 8 plus and was thinking of buying a hero 4 blk so I could use the on screen start for video on the hero 3 you have to start record before you fly. I will check the connections let me know if you have any luck....it's nice to see someone from the South Coast on here......I am at Termeil

Hi Nick if you find the newer GoPro works let me know. I have a GoPro 3 silver attached and I was getting really nice video at 1080 48 f and went to fly yesterday and I just get black video no crash or any bad handling or anything to cause it to fail. I use side pilot on an iPhone 8 plus and was thinking of buying a hero 4 blk so I could use the on screen start for video on the hero 3 you have to start record before you fly. I will check the connections let me know if you have any luck....it's nice to see someone from the South Coast on here......I am at Termeil
Hi Mossy, I tried my son's GoPro 8 but the casing is a different design from GoPro 3 and couldn't be housed in the gimbal plus the port on the camera had a different configuration so I am none the wiser. I need to find someone with a GoPro that fits my gimbal. Let me know how you go if you buy a GoPro 4 and the camera feed works. Cheers, Nick (Lilli Pilli) Text me if that is easier on 0429 428 663

Hi Mossy, I tried my son's GoPro 8 but the casing is a different design from GoPro 3 and couldn't be housed in the gimbal plus the port on the camera had a different configuration so I am none the wiser. I need to find someone with a GoPro that fits my gimbal. Let me know how you go if you buy a GoPro 4 and the camera feed works. Cheers, Nick (Lilli Pilli) Text me if that is easier on 0429 428 663
Thanks to Joe Horn's post I tried dropping the resolution and it worked I used 720p no problems. Still wondering how I was able to use the higher setting before though. I will buy a hero 4 and let you know the difference at least with the hero 4 you can control it from the app.......I hope.

Reactions: Joe Horn
Thanks to Joe Horn's post I tried dropping the resolution and it worked I used 720p no problems. Still wondering how I was able to use the higher setting before though. I will buy a hero 4 and let you know the difference at least with the hero 4 you can control it from the app.......I hope.
Hi Mossy,
My colleague has acquired a newer, smaller drone with built-in camera so we are gifting the 3DR Solo drone
which includes case, controller, props, drone and old batteries which only last 6-8 mins in the air. (not the Go Pro.)
Are you interested?
(We are at Lilli Pilli)

So Mossy do you still want to pick my drone from Lilli Pilli? You have my number Ciao, Nick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc