Lume Cube mounting

Reaction score
Does anybody have a Lume Cube mounted on Solo?

If so can you post some pics showing how you mounted it?

Thanks

I've got two mounted. With this setup I can mount them in the belly and use a camera on the front mount or mount the lights on the front if just using the Lume Cubes for illumination.
936b1fe0ea258ada19f16a8e1c42a6d9.jpg

7803f2f8b204055ac9078465bb457d59.jpg

3d59e58d0ac92511d324348f8a3a6b97.jpg

Reactions: Maddog
I've got two mounted. With this setup I can mount them in the belly and use a camera on the front mount or mount the lights on the front if just using the Lume Cubes for illumination.
936b1fe0ea258ada19f16a8e1c42a6d9.jpg

7803f2f8b204055ac9078465bb457d59.jpg

3d59e58d0ac92511d324348f8a3a6b97.jpg
looks terrific. I'm curious about what the max distance from the subject might be to light it enough to get the GoPro to record the subject. (at night)

With directional antennas on the controller I should see a range improvement. Haven't tested it for distance yet.
Did some searching trying to find that side by side gopro mount, but came up empty...could you point me to a link where I could buy the parts you used...very nice setup!

Last edited:
Lume Cube GoPro Mount

Attachments

• IMG_3063.JPG
    IMG_3063.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3064.JPG
    IMG_3064.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 51
Does anybody have a Lume Cube mounted on Solo?

If so can you post some pics showing how you mounted it?

Thanks

I apologize for what may be a stupid question - but where did you find the part that actually mounts to the belly of the drone (wth bushings)? I have the same gopro attachment and am looking at picking up two lume cubes. Everything I have found for an additional accessory mount seems to be only fixed camera attachments. Is that what you used here? Your additional belly plate looks like a better solution than what Ive found so far.

Thanks!

Yeah....... I'm goanna have to try these out....

Actually I'm thinking a small bit of weight could be saved by getting rid of the need for the static camera mount and the lume cube adapter. Why not 3D print an entire holder that attaches directly to the drone. So 1 piece instead of 3 pieces.

Attachments

• 20180725_135635.jpg
    20180725_135635.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 16
I finally had a friend 3D print a mount that attaches to the Brite Lite controller. The Lume Cube hangs below that.

I was disappointed in the light output of just one cube. At night I couldn’t see anything on the ground unless Solo was within 30’. So if I was flying over trees I couldn’t see someone on the ground.

I also discovered it would really help if the cube could be mounted to follow the camera up & down.

Does anybody know if 2 cubes would increase that distance?

I haven't actually mounted these "yet", I need to try and pick up some M2 size washers first, I don't want to directly screw the plate to the body without them (lume cubes are expensive darn it). I agree, a pan and tilt option would be good, but man, how much more weight does one want to add to the drone... Could we in actually fact attach a 2nd gimbal I wonder?

I haven't actually mounted these "yet", I need to try and pick up some M2 size washers first, I don't want to directly screw the plate to the body without them (lume cubes are expensive darn it). I agree, a pan and tilt option would be good, but man, how much more weight does one want to add to the drone... Could we in actually fact attach a 2nd gimbal I wonder?
I wouldnt go as far as a second gimbal, all you really need is a servo piggybacking the pitch channel on the gimbal to mimic the pitch of it. Heres a link to a video showing how it works:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was disappointed in the light output of just one cube. At night I couldn’t see anything on the ground unless Solo was within 30’. So if I was flying over trees I couldn’t see someone on the ground.
A couple of thoughts to help improve the light's performance and/or reduce the stray light getting to the camera's sensor.

Try a makeshift hood for the light, as an example a paper towel tube of 1 to 2" extension should reduce the stray light on the ground or in the near field. The Lumecube's narrow beam is good, but you still have quite a bit of stray light. If you can box out the stray light you should see improvements in how the camera performs. Basically you are trying to create a spot light rather than a flood light.

Obviously two light are better than one...

A couple of thoughts to help improve the light's performance and/or reduce the stray light getting to the camera's sensor.

Try a makeshift hood for the light, as an example a paper towel tube of 1 to 2" extension should reduce the stray light on the ground or in the near field. The Lumecube's narrow beam is good, but you still have quite a bit of stray light. If you can box out the stray light you should see improvements in how the camera performs. Basically you are trying to create a spot light rather than a flood light.

Obviously two light are better than one...
Thanks Rich. I hadn't thought of that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig