Lost 3dr solo

Adam don't take this the wrong way but you have to understand where the more experienced pilots are coming from. Will be glad to help you out but you have to take your medicine with regard to the amount of negligence you hold in this situation. When I first bought my solo I kept it in the original box for almost 3 months while I did as much research as I could to ensure that my first flight wouldn't be disastrous. Even with all that time invested I still had issues because the unexpected happens and I wasn't properly prepared to react in the proper way. So please take this as a learning experience I'm sure you will find people here that will give you advice and include me among them if needed. Feel free to reach out via private message as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: frases and Jubalr
Adam don't take this the wrong way but you have to understand where the more experienced pilots are coming from. Will be glad to help you out but you have to take your medicine with regard to the amount of negligence you hold in this situation. When I first bought my solo I kept it in the original box for almost 3 months while I did as much research as I could to ensure that my first flight wouldn't be disastrous. Even with all that time invested I still had issues because the unexpected happens and I wasn't properly prepared to react in the proper way. So please take this as a learning experience I'm sure you will find people here that will give you advice and include me among them if needed. Feel free to reach out via private message as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, nuggetz. I can see where experienced pilots are having a #facepalm reaction to this story, but come on, trolling a post by sayin 'read the fckn' manual doesn't seem very helpful. I just read some of Erik's other posts, and it seem to just be the kind of guy he is.

With that said, I appreciate the feedback. Probably should just stick to private messages for these newbie questions and posts to avoid users like Erik.

Thanks again.

Also, it's users like you who prevent new droners from coming to these forums for help. Especially in the Thread titled "Help". Perhaps you could save these comments for a 'Troll' thread?
Nice try buddy. But you knew what you were doing was not right. You can claim ignorance now and say your just a noob, but I don't buy it. In the back of your mind you absolutely knew you should not be flying around people and buildings for your first flight (or ever).

A year ago I would have cut you some slack. But not now. Not with all the news reports. Not with all the clear warnings in the manual, on their website, and on sites like this, even in stores like BestBuy.

I just don't believe your act and I'm calling you out on it.

Reactions: Chuck and pyrate
Nice try buddy. But you knew what you were doing was not right. You can claim ignorance now and say your just a noob, but I don't buy it. In the back of your mind you absolutely knew you should not be flying around people and buildings for your first flight (or ever).

A year ago I would have cut you some slack. But not now. Not with all the news reports. Not with all the clear warnings in the manual, on their website, and on sites like this, even in stores like BestBuy.

Again, thanks for the excellent contribution to this thread.

Reactions: Russ Knight

Yeah, there has been several news reports, however, if you are new to the hobby you are not "tuned in" to the hobby news. Many of my family have no idea the issues with 'drones', but we all do. Still no excuse.

What the major issue is is that all there RTF multirotors are marketed at new users, yet I don not think any recommend a "training" quad.:confused:

Yeah, there has been several news reports, however, if you are new to the hobby you are not "tuned in" to the hobby news. Many of my family have no idea the issues with 'drones', but we all do. Still no excuse.

What the major issue is is that all there RTF multirotors are marketed at new users, yet I don not think any recommend a "training" quad.:confused:

Yeah, a bit disappointed as the Solo is coined 'the smartest drone', as well as being sold at pro-sumer stores like Best Buy. The marketing for the Solo and the literature basically says read the manual and watch the flight school video (which I did both of, twice). I took that even further and watched a number of YouTube how-to's and reviews.

SMART a Solo is........ is only when GPS data is consistent and with good signal.
I am like you Adam, I have low flying hours, very low. Under 10 hours at best, but all are MANUAL mode.

I used to fly manual so much with Phantom 1, I even play with it in my bedroom...LOL.
Since Phantom 1 does not use GPS other than to keep still/loiter ( was not stable anyway ), I don't really use GPS assist. Total loss two Phantom 1 already:rolleyes: , but that is the learning curve expenses I need to pay.
No pain no gain.

Solo is different, it is indeed very smart, but its ability to be smart is only when and if GPS signal is good and sats locked plenty like 8 or more. Take away the GPS signal , Solo is just as dumb as any cheapo drone.

Opposite to flying Phantom 1, which I need to learn to control the craft MANUALLY, in a Solo I tend to learn to not use AUTO too much until I polish my MANUAL mode capability where I lost it after I stop flying Phantom 1 like 2 years ago or so.

The Solor Simulator is not bad, really not bad to know which stick control what function. Accuraccy wise to actual flight behaviour is so-so* according to our friends in this forum ( *me do not have enough flying hours on Solo to define that ) but if I ever had such simulator back when flying Phantom 1, I would progress much faster.

Buy another Solo and have fun. This time open field please.
Stay away from cell phone towers or any building with lots of antenna on it.
So open field is your best friend ....

Fly safe....

This is why i wish 3DR would market more towards experienced users
New people should by phantoms, solo does not need the bad press at the hands of people who fly irresponsibly

Sorry
But Eric is right. You are ruining this hobby.
I personally hate regulations, but would support a certification that would require people pass a test and show skill before being allowed to fly one of these things

This is why i wish 3DR would market more towards experienced users
New people should by phantoms, solo does not need the bad press at the hands of people who fly irresponsibly

Sorry
But Eric is right. You are ruining this hobby.
I personally hate regulations, but would support a certification that would require people pass a test and show skill before being allowed to fly one of these things
Ruining this hobby? This was my attempt to get into the hobby. Ruining it seems a bit much, no?

SMART a Solo is........ is only when GPS data is consistent and with good signal.
I am like you Adam, I have low flying hours, very low. Under 10 hours at best, but all are MANUAL mode.

I used to fly manual so much with Phantom 1, I even play with it in my bedroom...LOL.
Since Phantom 1 does not use GPS other than to keep still/loiter ( was not stable anyway ), I don't really use GPS assist. Total loss two Phantom 1 already:rolleyes: , but that is the learning curve expenses I need to pay.
No pain no gain.

Solo is different, it is indeed very smart, but its ability to be smart is only when and if GPS signal is good and sats locked plenty like 8 or more. Take away the GPS signal , Solo is just as dumb as any cheapo drone.

Opposite to flying Phantom 1, which I need to learn to control the craft MANUALLY, in a Solo I tend to learn to not use AUTO too much until I polish my MANUAL mode capability where I lost it after I stop flying Phantom 1 like 2 years ago or so.

The Solor Simulator is not bad, really not bad to know which stick control what function. Accuraccy wise to actual flight behaviour is so-so* according to our friends in this forum ( *me do not have enough flying hours on Solo to define that ) but if I ever had such simulator back when flying Phantom 1, I would progress much faster.

Buy another Solo and have fun. This time open field please.
Stay away from cell phone towers or any building with lots of antenna on it.
So open field is your best friend ....

Fly safe....
Thanks, SPP. My intention is to get a new Solo setup.

(Haven't posted in an online forum for awhile, forgot how quickly one can encounter such negative vibes and trolls. Thanks to all who's helped, and best of luck to those who have bummer vibes on here.)

Thanks for the helpful advice/post Erik. You must be a real pro.

OK so here is the situation.
You are new to the forum, total of 14 posts
Your very first posts indicates a general lack of knowledge not to mention possible issues with safety. You are admittedly new to the "hobby"

So a seasoned contributor on this site, offers a new person some information and and this is the snarky response.
Now you are all up in arms, so that in turn draws a response.

Many of the folks on this site have been around this "Hobby" for many years. And not everything that has happened in it have been good.
You would have to be living under a rock to not know what the proliferation of new people is doing.
Now add, that it appears a very high number of people seem to be taking the marketing to heart and believe you can just go pick one of these things up at Best Buy and fly like a pro.
Well you cant. You can do fine, so long as everything on the vehicle works flawlessly. That is most of the time.

BTW I fault manufactures and marketers for that.

In your case you encountered a situation just like that.
You lost GPS.
A new person, who did not take the time to read and understand what happens when you lose GPS will most likely lose or heavily damage their solo. Or worse injure someone. Point in case your post.

Anyone, who took the time to read the manual on the other hand would have known several things.
Flying near buildings and in wifi congested areas is dangerous, and can cause loss of GPS (go to manual) or loss of TX Control (RTH)
That is why in almost any RC instruction manual you will find the instructions. FLY IN AN OPEN AREA

You made the most basic of mistakes, and you are upset people pointed it out.

We all make mistakes. And if you are going to storm into a public forum trumpeting yours right out of the gate, expect to have it pointed out.
To some degree, would we not be failing new people if we saw a post like this and went HEY what a great idea you had there to break every rule in the book.

BTW I am not one of those people who have been around a long time.
I came here via the video hobby.
Flew my very first time last June, so not even 1 year.
But fortunately for me Solo was not out when I came around. So I was forced to read and learn waiting on the product.
Looking back that was a good thing. I might have been tempted to fly right out of the gate too.

Trust me when I tell you. There are some great people on this forum.
Post count does not always mean someone is a good member, but likes do
Understand who is trying to help you before getting your back up, and realize. You are going to do dumb stuff.
Its OK, we have all done dumb stuff. Except Ian he never does Dumb Stuff. just have some humility about it and you will get through.

Hope things work out on your bird.

Also, it's users like you who prevent new droners from coming to these forums for help. Especially in the Thread titled "Help". Perhaps you could save these comments for a 'Troll' thread?
Adam,
I too am somewhat new to this. For months, I read the forums, first on which to buy then once decided on Solo, then on best way too learn, then on the dynamics of flying this bird. After numerous flights in wide open spaces for very short distances, I went farther and higher. All well outside the city in which I live. I bought a new house in a much more wide open space on a river bank and am selling my house in the city. On a beautiful snow covered morning I took the Solo up to the roof and cleared a landing pad on the roof deck with clear view of the neighborhood, sky and satellites. It was the perfect opportunity to show the house, it's assets and the close proximity to a well known park used to reference a desirable area here in Philadelphia. I put the case down and took a moment to review all I had read and learned BEFORE I opened the case to fly this beautiful bird. I looked out over the neighborhood and thought of the potential of this thing coming down (in a failure) on someone on the street even though I'm in a somewhat quiet neighborhood. I then thought about all of the windows and neighbors who may not want a bird (with camera) in the air around them and a window for whatever the reason. Lastly I realized that there was very good potential to loose this thing altogether for no one's fault but my own by flying in a city with disregard to all I read. I walked back downstairs, put the Solo in the car and took it back to NJ. The next day I took a long flight out over the river flying under the guidelines I learned here from the people you criticize for telling you like it is. All during this flight it seemed that the sticks were different that what I had remembered before a recent update. I got used to it, flew the mission and returned then decide to take a low, faster run along the bank up the riverfront. I clipped a tree branch and took it for a swim. After going waist deep in ice and water, I got it back, took it apart and it sits in 25 lbs of rice in a small room with a big dehumidifier. I had no thoughts of getting or asking for a replacement and hope after a week or so to have a working unit.
To me you have broken most if not all of the guidance I got from this forum and seem to be asking how someone else can correct your shortcomings without criticism. Along with the pleasure of having a sophisticated equipment with incredible potential comes responsibility. Flyers like YOU are the reason that us on this thread and elsewhere have to now live/fly with increased government over-regulation. There's tons of info here.....while you wait for a reply, read and learn.......then fly.
This is my attempt to "HELP" you learn the responsibilities that go with the responsible enjoyment of RC flight.

Reactions: Jubalr
Adam,
I too am somewhat new to this. For months, I read the forums, first on which to buy then once decided on Solo, then on best way too learn, then on the dynamics of flying this bird. After numerous flights in wide open spaces for very short distances, I went farther and higher. All well outside the city in which I live. I bought a new house in a much more wide open space on a river bank and am selling my house in the city. On a beautiful snow covered morning I took the Solo up to the roof and cleared a landing pad on the roof deck with clear view of the neighborhood, sky and satellites. It was the perfect opportunity to show the house, it's assets and the close proximity to a well known park used to reference a desirable area here in Philadelphia. I put the case down and took a moment to review all I had read and learned BEFORE I opened the case to fly this beautiful bird. I looked out over the neighborhood and thought of the potential of this thing coming down (in a failure) on someone on the street even though I'm in a somewhat quiet neighborhood. I then thought about all of the windows and neighbors who may not want a bird (with camera) in the air around them and a window for whatever the reason. Lastly I realized that there was very good potential to loose this thing altogether for no one's fault but my own by flying in a city with disregard to all I read. I walked back downstairs, put the Solo in the car and took it back to NJ. The next day I took a long flight out over the river flying under the guidelines I learned here from the people you criticize for telling you like it is. All during this flight it seemed that the sticks were different that what I had remembered before a recent update. I got used to it, flew the mission and returned then decide to take a low, faster run along the bank up the riverfront. I clipped a tree branch and took it for a swim. After going waist deep in ice and water, I got it back, took it apart and it sits in 25 lbs of rice in a small room with a big dehumidifier. I had no thoughts of getting or asking for a replacement and hope after a week or so to have a working unit.
To me you have broken most if not all of the guidance I got from this forum and seem to be asking how someone else can correct your shortcomings without criticism. Along with the pleasure of having a sophisticated equipment with incredible potential comes responsibility. Flyers like YOU are the reason that us on this thread and elsewhere have to now live/fly with increased government over-regulation. There's tons of info here.....while you wait for a reply, read and learn.......then fly.
This is my attempt to "HELP" you learn the responsibilities that go with the responsible enjoyment of RC flight.
Well said.

I'm pretty forgiving of new users. I've come to their defense a couple times on these boards. Especially around Christmas when a lot of new people got drones. In fact this is the only time I've jumped on a new user for reckless stupidity.

I get it that not everyone does as much research as you before their first flight. I'm fine with that. I even understand that some people don't read the manual. But flying in a city, especially for your first flight, is just dumb.

In this day and age, with all the news media reports and highly publicized backlash, I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe this guy didn't know in the back of his mind (or the front) that he shouldn't be doing that. Having said that, I probably came down on him too hard.

I'm sorry you crashed/damaged your Solo, but you really did violate pretty much every rule in the book, so to speak. Buildings vs. trees - yes, it batters. Buildings are far more solid than trees, so it would take fewer buildings to block GPS than trees. Residential areas are far more likely to have wifi interference. How many satellites did you have when you took off? I believe 6 is the minimum, but it should be obvious that if you're in an area with potential reception issues, you should wait for a few more satellites to give yourself a safety margin. I try to never take off without at least 8, and I've never had so much as a GPS loss or glitch of any kind.

More generally, in the instructions and videos, it's *always* recommended to make your first few flights in a wide open field or area somewhere. A parking garage roof in a city environment isn't one of these. Personally, I made my first few flights without the gimbal or camera. Then I added the camera for a few, and finally added the gimbal.

It just seems crazy to me to put the entire thing in the air, for the very first time, in close to the worst possible environment. Money must come far more easily to you than it does to me! ;)
I have had my Solo for eight months now, I have always flown without any issues at all. On or around February 27th, a new firmware was released, I updated my controller and solo with the new update, went out to fly, and like someone said earlier, I too never take off unless I have a minimum 8 satellites. However after locking onto the 8 satellites, I took off flew around my neighborhood like I always did, which is free of trees, tall buildings etc. after reaching about 45% of my battery's capacity, my controller said, "Controller signal lost." I thought Solo would initiate RTH, but it didn't. I immediately hit the RTH button and nothing happened, I hit my manual mode button and still no response, all I could do was stand by and watched as my Solo flew out of sight. I drove to the last site that appeared on my iPad before I lost video, the controller was still on in the car seat beside me, all of a sudden the controller said "Solo returning home" I stopped the car immediately, got out with the controller and started walking around, the controller then said again, "Solo needs a level surface for take off" those were the last communications I got from Solo. I looked around in the bushes for awhile but could not find it. I am convinced, that the last firmware update was buggy and was the cause for my fly away. However I contacted 3DR, sent them the log, my receipts and registrations for the Solo, Gimbal, controller and my Go Pro Hero4 and they are in the process of replacing all.

Well said.

I'm pretty forgiving of new users. I've come to their defense a couple times on these boards. Especially around Christmas when a lot of new people got drones. In fact this is the only time I've jumped on a new user for reckless stupidity.

I get it that not everyone does as much research as you before their first flight. I'm fine with that. I even understand that some people don't read the manual. But flying in a city, especially for your first flight, is just dumb.

In this day and age, with all the news media reports and highly publicized backlash, I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe this guy didn't know in the back of his mind (or the front) that he shouldn't be doing that. Having said that, I probably came down on him too hard.
I thought you were spot on and are one of the top contributors of guidance and information I have gained.

How do you assign fly manual mode to the A or B button, and if that was done how would that have
made a difference to a out of control solo as opposed to no GPS and flying manually?

How do you assign fly manual mode to the A or B button, and if that was done how would that have
made a difference to a out of control solo as opposed to no GPS and flying manually?
My RTH never worked either. I also expected the 'smartest' drone to return to its launch point, or at least land or just simply drop if communication breaks for a certain amount of time.

Currently in conversation with 3DR on replacement options. Right now, they are only offering to repair the Solo. Nothing mentioned about replacing gimbal or GoPro 4 (both of which are destroyed).

And by 'conversation' I mean, 1-3 days delay for each email they send me. I respond almost immediately every time, but still have to wait days for a response.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela