Lets Talk Stabilization (post processing)

Here is one thing I just have to say.
Going to go back and redo mercalli on my big computer, but truthfully so far hyperlapse for results to effort is amazing.
I ran that on my little surface pro I5 and it was fast.
Mercalli took for ever, lets see how it does on the I7 desktop. Warp Stabilizer is going to take 25 minutes to grind through it on the desktop

premiere pro is up, and prodrinilin is rendering
things go a lot faster on the big machine
going to buy a new graphics card, my 550ti cards are getting a bit long in the tooth

Having tweaked my solo to get the smoothest video possible its time to work in my stabilization work flow.
I own almost all the big ones and a few minor ones. The purpose of this thread would be to first showcase the different programs using the stock settings on the same footage to see how well they perform. and to explore some of the settings in each to see what the optimal product at different price points and the appropriate setting to achieve the highest quality video with out micro shakes.
Please feel free to share your settings and results as well.
The first one I wan to share is sort of a dark horse., I purchased Microsoft Hyperlapse pro to use in time lapse cables. well tonight just for giggles I wanted to see what it would do with no speed change just letting hyperlapse stabilize the footage.
I will be adding others to the thread,

As reference this solo is equipped with a ribbon cable and Rich's Isolation Mod, and T-motors on stock props

Microsoft Hyperlapse Speed 1x quality medium (49.00)
Hyperlapse is on the right, raw on the left
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mercalli v2 just default settings will try Steve's settings and repost (249.00) watch for specials

Prodrenalin all Default with no profile selected for flat lens. (48.00)

Premiere Pro Warp Stabilizer default except stabilize only so it did not scale (49 a month subscription)
Good review Tim.

Reactions: pyrate
now that we have almost all the base ones up, will start doing the ones with recommended settings
so please share

I like it, going to take a closer look at Hyperlapse pro now.
Well I figured out the big weakness with Hyperlapse Pro
the output is not adjustable, and the bitrate is pretty low
meaning output quality is not the best.
Looks like Mercalli is still king, and it is going to require some tweaks.
But it does allow different outputs including prores.

My computer would choke when i would "Save High Quality" using Mercalli 4.0
Mercalli Doesn't recommend saving it that setting also LOL.... But i didn't know it had ProRez
i5 4690 OC @ 4600Mhz 32 Gig Hi quality/performances SSD's All H2O cooled..

Interesting comparisons, I appreciate you sharing your examples. I have a better sense for how things are improved and then how things are degraded by stab. I'll watch a few more times and then have some legit questions.

Again it's very helpful seeing the comparisons.

I watched a lot of tuts on Mercalli last night
since most of my vibrations are in the pan axis I am going to try messing with it.
Phil Hinkle also used one of my videos on their website to show how they addressed microvibrations in the program
the footage was very smooth, and he told me they had to work at it, but did get it smoothed out.
So I have asked him if he could share what they did. If we can find that out it will go straight to the heart of solo specific corrections

Reactions: EyeWingsuit
Small test with S/W stabilized video.
Noticed video servers can make a difference..
Same test video, but to different servers " Vimeo" & "YouTube" Both shot in 4K down sampled to 1080P via Premiere CC
Make sure each server is providing the video in HD 1080P.
Which looks better to you?

Vimeo

YouTube

Download Original H.265 1080P
Test 1

Last edited:
I figured out a while back that a lot of what I was chasing was not vibrations at all, but video stutter from the streaming
you can tell by finding a shutter and then replaying that section by dragging the play head back over it
in many casses the second play will be smooth because it was not bufferred

Small test with S/W stabilized video.
Noticed video servers can make a difference..
Same test video, but to different servers " Vimeo" & "YouTube" Both shot in 4K down sampled to 1080P via Premiere CC
Make sure each server is providing the video in HD 1080P.
Which looks better to you?
Vimeo (your link needs to be fixed though). Youtube introduces too many noticeable artifacts when they downsample. What did you use for sw stabilization?

Vimeo (your link needs to be fixed though). Youtube introduces too many noticeable artifacts when they downsample. What did you use for sw stabilization?
Hi Steve.
I used Mercalli 4.0 with Light setting for Vibrations & medium quality on output "save".

I figured out a while back that a lot of what I was chasing was not vibrations at all, but video stutter from the streaming
you can tell by finding a shutter and then replaying that section by dragging the play head back over it
in many casses the second play will be smooth because it was not bufferred
Hey Pyate,
1 thing i noticed between these hosting sights, is That Vimeo will accept video in my favorite wrapper H.265, while YouTube wont?
H.265 is the better Codec to use "Quality & Space savings"

Another thought while you guys are here,
If were depending on quality of video for pleasure "Eye Candy" or testing purposes, We should agree to a standard. Codec, Resolution, & maximum file size, then we can upload/download video's & not have our videos compromised by these video host.

We can take a poll, or just lay out a standard for others to go by?
Personally, I would say H.264@1080P max file size 300 Meg? via Dropbox or others...
that may be about 3 min. of video?
h.265 would be about 3.5 min. of video & better quality, but many don't have access to h.265

Just my thoughts of getting better quality video to make better testing decisions.

I am good with that
Back to mercalli myself hyperlapse looked great until I dug into it and saw the poor output codecs

I've been video'ing all weekend testing filters, wow this is a lot more complex then I had thought....I like it!

Man Pyrate it amazing how much of the vibe you can rid by software. But still, I seek the sharper images that can only be obtained from the original video. Like in your video Steve, I couldn't tell if that was a Live Oak tree or not in your reveal to the back yard.

I'd suggest 30 second videos for sharing and testing. Less of a burden time wise...

Here's my 30 second offering...without stab

Very informative thread gentlemen, though admittedly it's quite overwhelming.

Since my Solo acquisition last month, I have only now really begun to pay attention to post processing. My wife is a photographer by trade - she's enjoying watching my my struggles, though she's pretty enthusiastic about assisting me with color correction, etc.

I've swiftly moved from iMovie through GoPro Studio, and have begun playing with DaVinci Resolve (yes, all the free stuff - this is still only a hobby). As I've made a bunch of movies from a fixed wing mounted GoPro, I played a lot with iMovie stabilization.

Any of you guys familiar with Resolve and it's Stabilization capabilities? Playing around with Resolve I have a few questions. Ive toyed with the Strong and Smooth dials, and just haven't come up with a good formula for Solo footage. My untrained eye just can't nail down what looks best.

Keep on posting the good info. Any insight is appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela