Florida Flight

Reaction score
I've been accumulating footage while practicing with the Solo since I received it as a gift in December and this is the first compilation video that I've produced. I've already got 3 PolarPro ND filters, prop balancer and rod on order. Most of this footage was shot with the GoPro Hero 4 Black with the following settings:

Resolution - 2.7K
FPS - 60
FOV - Medium
Low Light - Off
Spot Meter - Off
Protune - On
White Balance - Auto
Color - GoPro Color
Shutter - Auto
ISO Limit - 400
Sharpness - Medium

Some of this footage used a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver with the following settings:

Video Resolution - 1080
FPS - 60
FOV - Medium
Resolution - 10MP Wide

I'm using Final Cut Pro X version 10.3.2 and this is the first in-depth work I've done with color correction, stabilization, outputting to different aspect ratios, etc. It's all a little overwhelming, but I'm trying to read as much as I can here in the forums without pestering folks. I stabilized one shot using "automatic" (am going back to do "Inertia Cam" to see how that works.) When I did my master output on this project, it came out to 2048 X 1536 and looked astonishing. I'm getting some jello on some shots, but not others. The worst vibration visible is on the pullback shot between 2:58 - 3:07 where I was flying in the same direction as 22 mph winds (though the other Florida Keys shots don't seem to be as shaky.) To see how it looked on YouTube, I uploaded the master output.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looking at other folks' 2048 X 1536 footage on YouTube, seems that this sort of cropping is standard. I re-rendered the project at 16:9 and uploaded that as well.

Any helpful observations are welcome; I appreciate the input received thus far on my Solo journey. Thanks, all!

[EDIT] I went back to the "Suggested GoPro Settings for Solo" thread and realized that I had a couple of things wrong in the "Very Good" column. White Balance is now set to "Native", Color is now set to "Flat" and EV Comp is set to -0.5.

Last edited:
Nice footage plus I recognize some of the areas. Monkey Island and surrounding area for one.
Was looking for "The Freezer" LOL

Reactions: Dulcimer Drone
Nice footage plus I recognize some of the areas. Monkey Island and surrounding area for one.
Was looking for "The Freezer" LOL

Thank you! Now I've got a hankerin' for The Freezer's boiled shrimp. :)

I went back and did some work on this video; stabilized some shots, used rolling shutter, got rid of some fish-eye, cropped out some props, dropped some scenes and lengthened other ones. I've never worked with most of these techniques in post and I see how some more tweaking could polish things even more.

All of the research I did yesterday on balancing props, motors and gimbals, looking at filters and lenses, got me thinking about how much I could do in post. Pretty encouraging, except for the fish-eye reduction. It looks like the higher the shot, the harder it is to get a flat horizon. Or maybe it's the plug-ins I'm using. Anyway - if you've the time or inclination to compare the 1080 footage and let me know where I could've done better, let me know. Rolling shutter really cleaned up a lot of the jello, but created some instability towards other areas of the shot. Thanks, again, for checking out my footage. I appreciate it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig